Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 AM

Default Child Care Tidbits

I have notice a repeated frustration with providers and parents not seeing each others points of view. I am sure this does not cover all bases, but I have been putting this little sheet in everyone's folders/cubbies annually for a few years now and I have gotten feedback from parents saying, "Wow, I have never looked at it from your viewpoint before". Like I said, it doesn't solve everyones problems, but it helps get parents to see where we are coming from! So I thought I'd share....

TIDBITS PROVIDERS WISH PARENTS KNEW
  • I really do know your children.
  • I can tell when they are sick or not feeling well.
  • I can tell when they go to bed early or were up late.
  • I can tell if they’ve had Tylenol or Motrin before they’ve arrived.
  • I can tell if your child has not been bathed…in awhile

Your child talks to me during the day.
  • They tell me where they have gone and where they are going to go.
  • They tell me how they are disciplined (or not).
  • They tell me EVERYTHING that is said at home……(and I do mean everything!)
  • They repeat the things you say about others.
  • Your child’s behavior is NOT a reflection of your parenting skills….…how you handle the misbehavior is.

Teach your child to be responsible for their actions, not make excuses.
Teach your child to be truthful.
Teach your child to be respectful of others. (the person, their belongings, their feelings etc)

I expect your child to act their age……you should too.
I can tell if you are enforcing or following up on notes and letters home, curriculum etc.

Taking care of your child during business hours is my job………
  • I expect a paycheck at the end of the week.
  • Please don’t ask for discounts unless you are okay with “discounted” care. (I do not provide half-meals, half-naps or half-diaper changes)
  • If you expect me to bend the rules or do more than my policies outline, I will expect extra pay as well.
  • Your child comes in contact with more contagious germs at Wal-mart than they do at daycare.
  • Teaching your child to use the toilet is YOUR responsibility, I will assist you in your efforts, but you must begin, continue and complete the process.
  • I am not a teenager; I have a formal education and am more than a nanny.
  • When your child is sick, keep them home. It is tough caring for a sick child and bringing them to daycare just spreads the illness as well as adding a ton more work for me on top of the 10 other healthy children I am caring for already.
  • Be respectful when dropping off or picking up. Kids are rowdier and more mischievous when parents are present. Getting kids in and out the door in a timely manner reduces havoc for me.
  • It is nice that you want to share your home life with me, but the truth is I don’t really need to know the really intimate details.
  • If every parent was 5 minutes late for pick up, I would have to stay more than an hour longer than expected.
  • You are not my only client; I am juggling more than 14 other people’s schedules for drop off, pick up, payments etc.
  • I will love your child as my own…please help me in helping you…we are in this together!!

Last edited by Blackcat31; 03-08-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
*DAYCARE PROVIDER*

Love it!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Daycare.com Member

Very good! I would never have the guts to give that to a parent though.

something else I would add...if you want to change your drop off or pick up time please talk to me about it before coming 1/2 hour early.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

thats great
Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I love it, but do wonder if you've ever had a parent get angry at receiving this? I've had a few in the past who would.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:46 AM

Pretty much sums it ALLLL up - everything I would LOVE to say to all my parents but would never have the guts to do so !
Old 11-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom View Post
I love it, but do wonder if you've ever had a parent get angry at receiving this? I've had a few in the past who would.
I've never had anyone say anything about it but I do know one dcm was sort of mad but it was only because she was the offender and knew I was right. She was asking me to be flexible for her but didn't want to be flexible for me. (She wanted me to stay 1 hour later after closing for her 2 to 3 nights per week but didn't want to pay more than my daily rate.)
I think if I said those things outloud they would think I was pointing fingers, but if it is given with other correspondence and curriculum notes, it goes over better. I also put it on cute little stationary. (It must ease the harshness....)
I think next year I am just going to put it in as the last page to my handbook.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:28 PM

I love all of this. I wish I had enough guts to post this or put it in a newsletter!! LOL!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Child Care Provider

Did you put this all together yourself or find it on a web site? I think it would be cute yet a good idea to have on a semi-regular basis...maybe a few different versions to hand out twice a year, lol.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:37 AM

lol! do you mind if I share this elsewhere? too funny!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:39 AM

I collected the little tidbits from all over but put it together myself...everyone is welcome to use any or all of it...the more parents we can "educate" the better!!! LOL!
Old 11-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Family Childcare Home

Well I am in the process of re-doing my handbook and I think I'll use this and do just what was suggested and have it as the last page of my handbook ... or first . There's lots of things on the list that I could deffinetely use with minimal changes. Thanks. I think it's an awsome list.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Your child’s behavior is NOT a reflection of your parenting skills….…how you handle the misbehavior is.
I LOVE this one!!! It is the point I was trying to get across before.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Kids are my Career

Very cute! I think I will put that in my binder. It is a little more forward than I am, but to be honest, if I'm going to think it in my head ALL the time, they might as well have it on paper so I don't have to say it!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherder View Post
I LOVE this one!!! It is the point I was trying to get across before.
Yes, it is my favorite too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily View Post
Very cute! I think I will put that in my binder. It is a little more forward than I am, but to be honest, if I'm going to think it in my head ALL the time, they might as well have it on paper so I don't have to say it!
oh trust me, if you do this job long enough you will eventually have to write it AND say it...

Tags
newsletter, tidbits