Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-23-2010, 05:52 AM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default Who Follows Their Policies To The Letter?

Most all of us here have policies for payment, early drops off/late pickups, late fees, illness, etc. I also know that many of us (myself included) feel guilty for sticking to them on occasion. I'm just curious as to how many of us actually follow our policies exactly as written? If you do, do your parents fight you on them, or do they seem to respect your rules?

I have a theory that maybe if I'd enforced all of my policies hard core from day one, I may be having an easier time of things now.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-23-2010, 06:13 AM
marniewon's Avatar
marniewon marniewon is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 895
Default

I think you are right - if you start hard-core from day one they would probably respect you and your policies more! But I wouldn't know about that, I don't follow mine all the time I want to, and it makes me mad when parents don't follow my policies, but it's my fault for not enforcing them. I have so many excuses for why I don't always follow my policies, but I really shouldn't excuse them, I should just enforce them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-23-2010, 06:16 AM
laundrymom's Avatar
laundrymom laundrymom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,210
Default

I make exceptions. This week I let a long time family use this week as their vacation week. She called fridAy and said... I know itsnot your policy but is there any way I can use next week as our vac week? I said yes.... And explained that because of their history. They always pay are never late picking up bring supplies. They deserve special consideration. Will I miss that money this week? Yes. Do I consider it worth it to repay the curtesy they have shown me every week for 3 years? Absolutely.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-23-2010, 06:16 AM
nikia's Avatar
nikia nikia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marniewon View Post
I think you are right - if you start hard-core from day one they would probably respect you and your policies more! But I wouldn't know about that, I don't follow mine all the time I want to, and it makes me mad when parents don't follow my policies, but it's my fault for not enforcing them. I have so many excuses for why I don't always follow my policies, but I really shouldn't excuse them, I should just enforce them.
Ditto this exactly!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-23-2010, 06:19 AM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrymom View Post
I make exceptions. This week I let a long time family use this week as their vacation week. She called fridAy and said... I know itsnot your policy but is there any way I can use next week as our vac week? I said yes.... And explained that because of their history. They always pay are never late picking up bring supplies. They deserve special consideration. Will I miss that money this week? Yes. Do I consider it worth it to repay the curtesy they have shown me every week for 3 years? Absolutely.
Laundry, I think in cases like this, you're absolutely right to make an exception. Families should be rewarded for being GOOD families...but usually it's the bad families that expect the special treatment, kwim?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-23-2010, 06:50 AM
momma2girls's Avatar
momma2girls momma2girls is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: midwestern
Posts: 2,151
Default

Over the years of doing daycare, I gave this one a break, then another one, then another one, and so on and on...... Almost everyone one of them wanted more and more, then some of them actually bit me in the butt!! From now on, I am sticking to my contract, late fees, etc. I placed this note, in the contract for the upcoming yr. these late fees will be implemented from now on.... I give a 5 min. window and that is it anymore. I used to have one family think nothing of being 15-30 min late almost every single day. THen another family would see that, and she started doing it as well. Not anymore, I am totally charging for late pickups anymore!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-23-2010, 06:52 AM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,820
Default

My policies are fairly simple, my contract is 3 1/2 pages, just the basics, and so, yes, I generally will follow my policies. The one I will occasionally flex on is my illness policy, which I will use my best judgment at times to allow a child to attend who would not be able to under the policy as it's written. I have always been fortunate to have families that don't give me much grief as far as the various items in my contract, including on time payments, vacation, on time pickups, etc. I don't know what I've done to achieve that, but I'm greatful for it every day .
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 AM
legomom922's Avatar
legomom922 legomom922 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 1,021
Default

I find sticking to it from day one is easier, because if you let something slide once or twice, its harder then to stick to your policy. Then they think "well you let us do this before". If they think your policies our negoitable, they will fight you on everything!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-23-2010, 07:50 AM
momma2girls's Avatar
momma2girls momma2girls is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: midwestern
Posts: 2,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomom922 View Post
I find sticking to it from day one is easier, because if you let something slide once or twice, its harder then to stick to your policy. Then they think "well you let us do this before". If they think your policies our negoitable, they will fight you on everything!
You are so correct on this!! I wished I did this since day one!! LOL!!!!! Anyone starting new, take this great advice!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 AM
nikia's Avatar
nikia nikia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomom922 View Post
I find sticking to it from day one is easier, because if you let something slide once or twice, its harder then to stick to your policy. Then they think "well you let us do this before". If they think your policies our negoitable, they will fight you on everything!
I should have stuck to it on day one. You are so right I let things slide once and now they just keep going. Give an inch they take a mile. Not everyone is like this but I found more are than not.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 AM
TGT09's Avatar
TGT09 TGT09 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 620
Default

I'm a stickler when it comes to the more important policies but there are some that I'm lenient on. That probably sends a mixed message but depending on the situation I don't feel comfortable sticking to certain things.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-23-2010, 07:55 AM
momma2girls's Avatar
momma2girls momma2girls is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: midwestern
Posts: 2,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikia View Post
I should have stuck to it on day one. You are so right I let things slide once and now they just keep going. Give an inch they take a mile. Not everyone is like this but I found more are than not.
I have really learnt the hard way as well!! GOod to see another Iowan on here!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 24,555
Default

I agree that starting out it would have been easier to stick to it, but sometimes things happen and we all try to be a little human and understanding (Unless you are the one paying..haha) but I have found that if things start getting a little out of hand, I will actually send a letter out saying that too many people are taking advantage of such and such policy so I will no longer be making exceptions. Gets them all back on track and makes the offenders feel somewhat guilty and all is well for bit until we start the cycle all over again! Whew! Should of just been strict from the beginning.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 AM
legomom922's Avatar
legomom922 legomom922 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 1,021
Default

I had an issue with myself not be able to charge the late pick up fee, so the way I fixed it for myself was to readjust my work week. Before my wk ran from m-f, with payday being fri. I gave them their invoice the same day they paid me, but it wouldnt reflect the late fee if they were late on Fri, and usually when they showed up on Fri, their ck or cash was already made out for their normal weekly amount.
So I changed it to run Fri-Th with payday still on Fri, however now I send home the invoice on Thurs, which enables me to charge them for any late fees for that week, and if they are late on Fri, I put that on next weeks invoice since Fri starts the new wk.

Works great so far! Now I charge the late fees with no problem!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-23-2010, 08:05 AM
SandeeAR's Avatar
SandeeAR SandeeAR is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 1,188
Default

Guess I'm lucky to have 3 really great families. They are considerate of me and I am considerate of them. We work within each others needs.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 AM
DCMomOf3's Avatar
DCMomOf3 DCMomOf3 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: my house
Posts: 1,270
Default

I follow them 90% of the time. I do allow for exceptions from time to time, but it is all my disgression and I make sure they know not to expect it every time. I have never gotten any push back on my policies and actions. *knock* on wood.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 AM
DanceMom's Avatar
DanceMom DanceMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 351
Default

I dont follow them pretty much at all...which was a mistake since day one.
I feel that since I have been lenient for years that it would be hard to all of a sudden be ********. My families signed with me knowing I was working for THEM....since I know how hard it is to work outside of the home and be a parent with a child in daycare. I am pretty strict on my sick policy though. My parents dont pay late and are usually on time to pick up. If I have a problem with any of them going outside of my guidelines I talk to them about the issue - letting them know how it makes me feel or how it impacts my life and they fix the problem quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Bit of a stickler

Now that I've got a few years under my belt, I know how important it is to follow my policies as they're written in my contract.

I used to let a lot of stuff slide, but not anymore. As a result, I very rarely have to deal with parents trying to get me to make exceptions.

I'm especially strict on my illness policy.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-23-2010, 12:15 PM
kendallina's Avatar
kendallina kendallina is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,567
Default

I stick to all my policies, but I have fairly simple policies. The only one that parents would give me trouble for is that they have to pay if their LO misses a day. No one has even said anything about it and has always paid (well, I've only been open since August...lol).

My families so far pay on time.

I don't have a late pick-up fee yet. This is mostly because 6 of the 7 families are friends of mine and we all babysit eachother's kids at one point or another. So far I've had a family late twice (different families). I called them within 10 minutes of when they were supposed to be here and they each apologized profusely and one even asked if he could pay me a late fee.

I anticipate next year I'll have more families that I'm not friends with, so I will institute a late policy then.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Preschool/daycare teacher's Avatar
Preschool/daycare teacher Preschool/daycare teacher is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMom View Post
I dont follow them pretty much at all...which was a mistake since day one.
I feel that since I have been lenient for years that it would be hard to all of a sudden be ********. My families signed with me knowing I was working for THEM....since I know how hard it is to work outside of the home and be a parent with a child in daycare. I am pretty strict on my sick policy though. My parents dont pay late and are usually on time to pick up. If I have a problem with any of them going outside of my guidelines I talk to them about the issue - letting them know how it makes me feel or how it impacts my life and they fix the problem quickly.
You work for the parents? Wow, I've always taken a different view on that. I look at being a Daycare provider kind of like a store. The provider provides a service for the parents. If they like your "products" they enroll their child. Stores all have guidelines (aka policies). You pay when you get the groceries you need, right? You can't tell them you'll pay them for your groceries next week. Do you look at a store as working for you? Or your child's school? Anyway, sorry, off topic. Just a thought. I can't imagine feeling like the parents were my boss. Why even HAVE a policy if you work for them and they tell you how they want it... But I bet your parents are all really pleased with your daycare. Hopefully they keep your needs in mind too and aren't taking advantage of you.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 PM
DanceMom's Avatar
DanceMom DanceMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher View Post
You work for the parents? Wow, I've always taken a different view on that. I look at being a Daycare provider kind of like a store. The provider provides a service for the parents. If they like your "products" they enroll their child. Stores all have guidelines (aka policies). You pay when you get the groceries you need, right? You can't tell them you'll pay them for your groceries next week. Do you look at a store as working for you? Or your child's school? Anyway, sorry, off topic. Just a thought. I can't imagine feeling like the parents were my boss. Why even HAVE a policy if you work for them and they tell you how they want it... But I bet your parents are all really pleased with your daycare. Hopefully they keep your needs in mind too and aren't taking advantage of you.
No no, you took that wrong...They are not MY boss and I do not feel that they are my boss , I am very clear to them that I am a business owner and I call the shots in my business, they do not tell ME what to do ever - what I am saying is I am here for them. My job is to provide a service to them so that when they leave my house they can leave it daycare stress free. If they are a few minutes late picking up, a few minutes early dropping off, because they have to get to work early or had to work late or traffic sucked etc..I dont need to be another part of their already stressful day - I worked outside of the home and I know how hard it was to get to daycare on time and to pick up my child for every little sniffle, while of course I complied and understood completely it was very hard to do at times. NONE of my families take advantage of me, they respect me to the fullest as I do them as working parents. So I let a lot of "little" things slide...the things I let slide do not impact me, their children or my business whatsoever..if it did..then I wouldnt let them slide.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Preschool/daycare teacher's Avatar
Preschool/daycare teacher Preschool/daycare teacher is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMom View Post
No no, you took that wrong...They are not MY boss and I do not feel that they are my boss , I am very clear to them that I am a business owner and I call the shots in my business, they do not tell ME what to do ever - what I am saying is I am here for them. My job is to provide a service to them so that when they leave my house they can leave it daycare stress free. If they are a few minutes late picking up, a few minutes early dropping off, because they have to get to work early or had to work late or traffic sucked etc..I dont need to be another part of their already stressful day - I worked outside of the home and I know how hard it was to get to daycare on time and to pick up my child for every little sniffle, while of course I complied and understood completely it was very hard to do at times. NONE of my families take advantage of me, they respect me to the fullest as I do them as working parents. So I let a lot of "little" things slide...the things I let slide do not impact me, their children or my business whatsoever..if it did..then I wouldnt let them slide.
Oh I see what you meant now. I am sorry! I know of some daycares who consider the parents as their boss, and I just can't imagine that. And one provider has even told me that I need to "give in" to the parents because they are my boss. This was over something like payment, I think, which was already clearly outlined in the signed contract.
So...never mind my previous post! lol
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-24-2010, 08:21 PM
Lilbutterflie's Avatar
Lilbutterflie Lilbutterflie is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 1,366
Default

Yes, in fact I let one policy slide this morning. DCM called 30 min prior to drop off and asked if she could bring dcb since he had just thrown up. No temp, maybe a fluke? Well, he was my only dck today so I told her I would watch him and send him home if he developed a fever or threw up again. She brought him, he was pale and looked terrible. The moment she started to pull out of the driveway he began throwing up in the toilet! I stopped her before she left the driveway to tell her he had to go home. Should've saved her the trip and told her not to bring him! But I felt okay in trying it just in case it was a fluke; and he was my only dck, and she has never questioned my sick policy or tried to be dishonest about her children being sick. That deserves a bend in the rules for certain instances I think.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-25-2010, 07:38 AM
DanceMom's Avatar
DanceMom DanceMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher View Post
Oh I see what you meant now. I am sorry! I know of some daycares who consider the parents as their boss, and I just can't imagine that. And one provider has even told me that I need to "give in" to the parents because they are my boss. This was over something like payment, I think, which was already clearly outlined in the signed contract.
So...never mind my previous post! lol
No problem - I can see how anyone could have misunderstood my post. I agree with you completely...there is NO way in He** that I would allow them to think they are my boss.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
policing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Semi-New Provider Needs Help Writing Enforcement Letter haveaballdaycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 05-02-2012 01:37 PM
Abigail Or Anyone? Need A Term Letter! marniewon Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 02-10-2011 11:00 PM
Reminder Letter For Sick Policy mickey2 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 01-15-2011 09:15 AM
Letter Requesting Payment cillybean83 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 01-04-2011 11:09 AM
Random: Enforcing Policies Preschool/daycare teacher Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 10-24-2010 12:10 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming