Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Bizzymom1111's Avatar
Bizzymom1111 Bizzymom1111 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 97
Default What Should I Charge?

I have a new mom who enrolled her 6 week old on 10-24-2010. She signed my contract which defines what hours she is reserving, and how much it will be weekly. She put her start date for 11-2-10. On 10-31-10, she called to say she would not be starting him until 12-1-10. She paid me the initial enrollment fee(25$) but then said she would bring over the deposit( which I use towards the last week of care) and I said that was fine and that the spot would be held. Well now I get another call and she doesn't think he'll be starting till January! I usually charge $75/ month to hold a spot(3 month limit) but I'm not sure what to charge her for December, because she did sign the contract, and technically she should be paying me weekly. I was really counting on that income, and I don't know if I should just charge her the $75 to hold it, or if I should require her to pay me weekly, for December.I usually charge the $75 to people who want to hold the spot but haven't signed the contract yet- maybe because they are not sure of what hours they need to reserve- but have gotten all the other paperwork ba k. This mom has a signed contract and her child was already supposed to have started, so I guess I just don't know what I should charge her. Like I said, I wasreally counting on that income, and have turned away someone with a baby who wanted to start right away.
Anyways, any ideas are so very welcome! Thanks in advance!
__________________
~Everything happens for a reason~
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-27-2010, 05:53 AM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,430
Default

I would definitely charge her 1/2 the normal weekly rate from the point of your signed contract date on. You have turned down clients who need you now & she keeps putting off her return date. Not fair to you at all. But I would definitely charge her something. I just had this happen to me only the mom finally after several months of putting off her return decided to stay home with baby & there I was naive as ever & had not charged her a dime to hold a spot she never was going to use. So definitely charge. If you feel the need explain to the mom that you have turned down clients b/c you thought her child was coming as of X date. KUP!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-27-2010, 07:02 AM
AfterSchoolMom's Avatar
AfterSchoolMom AfterSchoolMom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,938
Default

I'd charge her weekly, at least something. If the child HAD started and now wasn't coming for a month, you'd still expect to be paid, right? Tell the Mom that she owes X amount weekly until the start date, or needs to give her two weeks' notice (and pay for them) so that you can fill her spot.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-27-2010, 09:57 AM
safechner's Avatar
safechner safechner is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 744
Default

I would charge her 1/2 rate weekly because it seems not fair to you for holding that long for her. Just emailing her to let her know that you are fine with it until Jan but she would need to pay 1/2 rate weekly until he started with you in January.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Abigail's Avatar
Abigail Abigail is offline
Child Care Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,413
Default

Do you have anything in your policies about holding a spot? I would charge her $75 for November holding. Have they turned in their money for their last week(s) of care yet? Really, I would make sure you have that money and all signed paperwork before hand.

You should create a new contract stating the new enrollment date. If it is in your policies up to three months of holding maximum, then you should still only charge that $75 for December too. If she wants to move it back again, then she is required to pay weekly full rate or give her two-weeks pay/deposit up because you can only hold spots so long. I personally would look for another family because I don't want to hold spots if I can fill them now.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 AM
missnikki's Avatar
missnikki missnikki is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,037
Default

I think that if your signed contract states a starting date, and she called to change it, you can be bold and charge her the rate she should have been paying, but in the interest of good business, you should contact her and offer her to come re-sign a new contract with new starting dates, and offer to hold the spot at half price. Like other posters have said, she is stringing you along and you shouldn't have to foot the bill for her indecisiveness.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 AM
marniewon's Avatar
marniewon marniewon is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missnikki View Post
I think that if your signed contract states a starting date, and she called to change it, you can be bold and charge her the rate she should have been paying, but in the interest of good business, you should contact her and offer her to come re-sign a new contract with new starting dates, and offer to hold the spot at half price. Like other posters have said, she is stringing you along and you shouldn't have to foot the bill for her indecisiveness.
I agree with this, and this is probably what I'd do also. Offer to re-sign contract, and charge her 1/2 price weekly until she starts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzymom1111 View Post
I have a new mom who enrolled her 6 week old on 10-24-2010. She signed my contract which defines what hours she is reserving, and how much it will be weekly. She put her start date for 11-2-10. On 10-31-10, she called to say she would not be starting him until 12-1-10. She paid me the initial enrollment fee(25$) but then said she would bring over the deposit( which I use towards the last week of care) and I said that was fine and that the spot would be held. Well now I get another call and she doesn't think he'll be starting till January! I usually charge $75/ month to hold a spot(3 month limit) but I'm not sure what to charge her for December, because she did sign the contract, and technically she should be paying me weekly. I was really counting on that income, and I don't know if I should just charge her the $75 to hold it, or if I should require her to pay me weekly, for December.I usually charge the $75 to people who want to hold the spot but haven't signed the contract yet- maybe because they are not sure of what hours they need to reserve- but have gotten all the other paperwork ba k. This mom has a signed contract and her child was already supposed to have started, so I guess I just don't know what I should charge her. Like I said, I wasreally counting on that income, and have turned away someone with a baby who wanted to start right away.
Anyways, any ideas are so very welcome! Thanks in advance!
Considering you said you hold a spot up to 3 months and its a 75 dollar holding fee and is it is in your contract she knows it and will expect to pay 75 again for December thats what I would charge her is the 75 dollar holding fee and tell her its the last time. I would NEVER hold a spot for 3 months I only hold a spot for 4 weeks thats it with a 2 week depoist.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Daycare_Mama's Avatar
Daycare_Mama Daycare_Mama is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 123
Default

If she hadn't signed the contract, then she could pay $75 a month for 3 months, but she signed a contract. Personally, I would notify her that she signed a contract and needs to start paying the full amount now because it seems like she's already kind of stringing you along. It's not like she signed, gave you an exact start date, and stuck with it. I wouldn't trust that she's for sure going to bring the baby at all, so I wouldn't want to lose out on money. Especially since you turned down another family. I would tell her that straight up...you are running a business and you can't afford to hold her spot week after week and turn down someone who would pay the full amount now. If she doesn't understand the logic of this, I wouldn't want to provide childcare for her anyways. Just my opinion!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-30-2010, 04:48 AM
legomom922's Avatar
legomom922 legomom922 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: FL
Posts: 1,021
Default

How many days will she be coming? What hrs? What are you charging here?? Depending on those answers, I would charge her at least 2 days per week, have her sign a new contract. If she balks, I would say forget it and take someone else. Whose to say she wont call you again and say she will start in Feb? My teachers pay 2 days a wk to hold their spot.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-30-2010, 05:32 AM
Bizzymom1111's Avatar
Bizzymom1111 Bizzymom1111 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 97
Default

She's holding a fulltime spot-50+ hrs/week, m-f, and even one Saturday a month. I charge $135/week for a full time infant spot. She's going to be county pay, so I'm not to happy about the situation. I think I'm going to tell her I'll hold it for her through December if she pays me 1/2 the weekly rate for dec. I agree that it would be no problem if she hadn't signed a contrct, but she did and was supposed to start 11-1. I was counting on that income. I had someone else with an infant(who is currently attending)and she came in sept., wanted to hold the spot till 11-1, and paid me the $75/month fees upfront for the two months. That was how I had intended the $75/month to work, NOT with a signed contract. I find it amazing how many people don't realize that they're signing a CONTRACT, ( which it clearly states and I point it to them MANY times during the interviews) and are responsible for paying what the policy states THE DAY they sign it! Pretty sure I'm going to start advertising the spot. Ugh- people!
__________________
~Everything happens for a reason~
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Bizzymom1111's Avatar
Bizzymom1111 Bizzymom1111 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 97
Default *update*

So, I talked to the mom, and told her I needed her to pay 1/2 the weekly rate for December if she wanted to hold the spot. She can't pay that she says so go ahead and fill the spot then. ARGH! She said she didn't even k ow if she would be back to work in January either. You guys were right- she was totally stringing me along. And I just turned away another infant. I swear, when it comes to dealing with people like this, it makes me not want to do this. Well, better start advertising again: (
__________________
~Everything happens for a reason~
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Live and Learn's Avatar
Live and Learn Live and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Paradise :-)
Posts: 959
Default

Good for you for calling the Mom and talking to her about the situation. I bet someone comes along soon for to fill the spot. these situations usually work out for the best in the long run....good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Bizzymom1111's Avatar
Bizzymom1111 Bizzymom1111 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live and Learn View Post
Good for you for calling the Mom and talking to her about the situation. I bet someone comes along soon for to fill the spot. these situations usually work out for the best in the long run....good luck.
Thank you! I hope so!
__________________
~Everything happens for a reason~
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live and Learn View Post
Good for you for calling the Mom and talking to her about the situation. I bet someone comes along soon for to fill the spot. these situations usually work out for the best in the long run....good luck.
I agree, this was for the best! The fact that she was county pay is why she didn't care about stringing you along. She wasn't going to pay for it anyways. And she obviously wouldn't then pay out of her own pocket to hold the spot if she wasn't bringing her baby.

If I were you, I honestly wouldn't hold a spot for more than 2 weeks unless it's for a family you already have in care that will need another spot for a baby. Otherwise, you open yourself up for this to happen again.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Bizzymom1111's Avatar
Bizzymom1111 Bizzymom1111 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree, this was for the best! The fact that she was county pay is why she didn't care about stringing you along. She wasn't going to pay for it anyways. And she obviously wouldn't then pay out of her own pocket to hold the spot if she wasn't bringing her baby.

If I were you, I honestly wouldn't hold a spot for more than 2 weeks unless it's for a family you already have in care that will need another spot for a baby. Otherwise, you open yourself up for this to happen again.

You're right about the county pay. I've decided not to accept it anymore. EVERY one of my past clients that were on it have had problems with $ or policies or something. I'm very fed up. My private pay clients all value their childcare, have been respectful of my policies, and don't give me a hard time about any of my fees. I'm not saying all county assistance clients are bad, but all the ones I've had, have been. All my current families are private pay- and I think I'm going to keep it that way.

I'm also going to put the kabosh on the three month thing too. I've lost so much income "holding"spots that I just can't afford to do that.
__________________
~Everything happens for a reason~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
charges, holding spot

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Would You Charge For This? small_steps Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 07-20-2016 11:46 AM
I Need Some Ideas On How To Charge daymommy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 01-07-2016 08:14 AM
What to Charge for Lastnight/This Morning? Breezy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 07-15-2012 10:54 AM
Would You Charge? Preschool/daycare teacher Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 01-29-2011 07:21 PM
What Would you Charge in this Situation? MN Mom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 10-19-2010 09:07 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming