Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Weird Payment Arrangement...What To Do?
sahm2three 07:25 AM 02-21-2011
Ok, I have two boys that I watch (one of them is my ring leader I have talked about), and their parents are seperated. I require payment for the week of care on the first day of care for the week. So I get paid in advance. Well, the parents have it worked out so that they each pay their share each week. Dad says he can't afford to pay me the beginning of the week, so what he does is he pays on Fridays for that week and the next week. He came up with this arrangement and I agreed. Well, I sent him a text last Wednesday to remind him that daycare fees were due by 5 pm Friday. Friday 5 pm comes and goes. I text him giving him one final reminder. Nothing. Saturday I try calling and he doesn't answer so I leave a message saying that he now owes his daycare fees plus $10 per day until it is paid. Problem is, mom has paid on time, so I hate to tell her that I won't take kids because dad hasn't paid his share. What do you think I ought to do? How long do I let it go?!
marniewon 07:33 AM 02-21-2011
When dcd drops off, tell him he can't leave dck at daycare until his portion of the fees are paid. That way it will only hurt him, not dcm.
sahm2three 07:40 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
When dcd drops off, tell him he can't leave dck at daycare until his portion of the fees are paid. That way it will only hurt him, not dcm.
Forgot to add, I NEVER see dcd except for when he drops off payment. He only has one evening a week and weekend visitation. So it is always dcm.
marniewon 07:45 AM 02-21-2011
Then, I hate to say it, but you'll have to put this in mom's lap. Have her be the (only) one you accept payment from and she can get dad's payment from him. I know it sucks for the mom, but if you want to get paid, and on time, you need to let her deal with it. Especially if he didn't sign the contract. But even if he did, this is obviously not working out for you.

It's just one more way for parents to put you in the middle of their problems.
SilverSabre25 07:48 AM 02-21-2011
Then, I hate to say it, but you'll have to put this in mom's lap. Have her be the (only) one you accept payment from and she can get dad's payment from him. I know it sucks for the mom, but if you want to get paid, and on time, you need to let her deal with it. Especially if he didn't sign the contract. But even if he did, this is obviously not working out for you.

That, unfortunately. Ugh, what an awful situation for everyone. I hope it works out!
DCMomOf3 07:50 AM 02-21-2011

this is the only solution I think that will work for you.
jen 07:50 AM 02-21-2011
Way back when I was a daycare parent as opposed to a provider, I had a similar issue with my ex. We took turns paying daycare, I did one week, he did the next. When I went to drop off, I learned that the ex hadn't paid for the previous week. The center tacked on late fees and I paid the billl...I totally understood where they were coming from. It isn't the providers issue, it's the parents issue.
Lilbutterflie 11:45 AM 02-21-2011
I would give dcm the invoice showing how much is owed including the current late fees. Let her know it is due the next morning prior to drop off in the morning. It'll be her responsibility to either collect from dcd or pay it herself. If payment is not collected the next morning, they will be turned away at the door.

Just as the previous posters stated, I would also discuss with dcm that since dcd has made late payment an issue, you can no longer collect from him. All payments will be made by dcm, and it will now be her responsibility to collect from him.
Lucy 12:38 PM 02-21-2011
This sounds like a tough situation. I had siblings from a divorced home and they asked about doing split payments similar to what you described. I had to be firm and say no, because it just sounded like a hassle to me. Mom was the one I would mostly be dealing with, so I just said Mom is the responsible party, and Dad would have to pay Mom for his portion. That way, Mom pays me in full, and if Dad ends up to be a flake, it's not my problem.
Tags:payment options
Reply Up