Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>PT Conference
gkids09 06:08 PM 03-22-2011
Do you do them?

We are required by licensing to OFFER a parent/teacher conference at least once per year. I have never had anyone accept, until this year.

I have the conference on Thursday, and I don't know what to talk to her about. lol Obviously her child, but what exactly would you include in that information?

If he were a "problem" child, I would know exactly what to do. But this little guy is one that will go to school and will be put at a table WITH the "problem" kids to make them behave.

He is WONDERFUL. I have had some issues with dcm, but nothing major, and nothing to do with him.

Anyway, any suggestions on what to discuss/do with her on Thursday. I work with kids every day, can come up with a million things to do with them, but their parents make me nervous!!!!!
momatheart 06:10 PM 03-22-2011
Tell mom and dad exactly that. He is wonderful a great role model. etc.

They are probably just looking for validation to how good their kid is and just feed that.

Keep conversation on their child and keep it short and sweet tell them this won't be a long conference. Ask them if they have any questions or concerns regarding thier child. Let them know you enjoy this child which you do. It will come across genuine if that is really how you feel.
DCMomOf3 06:12 PM 03-22-2011
I would tell her what he is great at, what you are working on, etc. If you want show her some of his skill work (cutting, letters, etc).

Tell her he is great and you are very happy with his social skills and behavior.
daycare 07:00 PM 03-22-2011
I start out by telling the parents what we have been working on this quarter and what goals were set from the last meeting. We then go over that information as well as this. I think there is more, I just can’t think of it off the top of my head.

I do meetings with parents every quarter.
How is the child progressing socially, emotionally, cognitively, and so on:
Does the child follow directions well:
What are the strengths and weakness, what are you doing to help the child with their weaknesses.

What is the Childs favorite subject?
What do they like most about class time?
Who are their friends/ playmate(s)
Behavior: how is it?

I always have the child draw a picture for their parents that I give in the conference. I also display several pieces of their work from many different things that we do throughout the quarter.

I also have a photo book that I allow them to view (not take with them) of their child and friends participating in all of the lessons and activities we do daily.

I then allow the parents to ask questions:
I tell the parents what goals I have for their child and if they have any
QualiTcare 08:34 PM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I start out by telling the parents what we have been working on this quarter and what goals were set from the last meeting. We then go over that information as well as this. I think there is more, I just can’t think of it off the top of my head.

I do meetings with parents every quarter.
How is the child progressing socially, emotionally, cognitively, and so on:
Does the child follow directions well:
What are the strengths and weakness, what are you doing to help the child with their weaknesses.

What is the Childs favorite subject?
What do they like most about class time?
Who are their friends/ playmate(s)
Behavior: how is it?

I always have the child draw a picture for their parents that I give in the conference. I also display several pieces of their work from many different things that we do throughout the quarter.

I also have a photo book that I allow them to view (not take with them) of their child and friends participating in all of the lessons and activities we do daily.

I then allow the parents to ask questions:
I tell the parents what goals I have for their child and if they have any
this is good advice. what i loved/love about conferences is seeing "surprise" pictures that i'd never seen and my favorite thing of all time has been when the teacher asks a question and lets the child fill in the blank. like, "what does your mommy do to take care of you?" or a question that ties into a book like, "what would you eat if you were a dinosaur?" or "i love my daddy because he ________." one teacher had probably 20 of those and it was awesome. she'd write the kid's responses on big chart paper and then later on she'd cut out each child's responses and just fold them and stick them in their folder.

of course i also recommend having a "real assessment" of the child's progress. the best guide to use IMO is a simple, free printout of the pre-k standards that you can get online from your school district's website. it doesn't have to be fancy. just print out the standards and put a check mark by each skill the child has mastered. it gives you something tangible to work with and lets the parents see specifics of things their child has or has not mastered so they have something to work with other than "he's doing great!" or "i'm worried about his progress." i don't know if you know how to access the standards of your state/school district, but if it's something you're interested in you can PM me with your state and/or city and i can help.
Tags:conferences, parent teacher conference, parent teachers
Reply Up