Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Up Date On Dehydration
daycare 10:11 AM 03-30-2011
So I pulled out the contract on DCM last night at pick up. I also shared the medical information from the website.

At first DCM started to argue with me and tell me that she thinks that i am taking it over board. I told her that I felt that there was nothing normal about a child being in care for 8-9 hours a day and not consuming liquids or producing any wet diapers, or only 1 wet diaper for the entire day.

So she kept arguing with me when I finally said. Well I am sorry if you don't agree with me, however, I am requiring that you take him to the doctor and have a written note from the doctor telling me that he can be here all day without consuming any liquids or produce wet diapers. Once you have that in writing from his doctor he can return, or you can follow this plan that I have written up. the plan is 14 days for both parents and provider to transition to any type of cup but a bottle. If the child does not consume at least an ounce or more an hour, then the parents will be called to come pick him up. If progress is not made during the 14 days, care will be terminated.

DCM said, I have to work tomorrow. I told her sorry this is where this situation stands and this is what will have to happen if he wants to come back. She was so mad.

So he is not here today, sister is. DCD did not say anything at drop off.
cheerfuldom 10:14 AM 03-30-2011
I think you did the right thing is forcing the issue. It is crazy what some parents will disregard because they have to work. One diaper for 8 hours is not okay whatsoever! If you don't get what you need from her then ask to have the ped call you directly. I can't believe (well I guess I can) that a parent out there would not be alarmed by this! Putting a time limit on it was an excellent idea.
dEHmom 10:17 AM 03-30-2011
yep good for you!

sorry i forget how old was the child???

I have a just turned 12 mth old, and he learned a sippy cup (soft spout top) in less than 2 days. You can get him used to it to, with some that have the nipple top, but I don't like this, it's sort of a step transition from bottle to bottle style sippy, and then the nipples change to a spout instead of a nipple, etc.

but I just refused to hold his cup and he figured out i wasn't going to fall for his tricks. I know my situation is not the same as yours. Clearly something is not right here.

Proud of you for standing your ground like that!!!! And the time limit was perfect.
Meyou 10:19 AM 03-30-2011
Good for you! Now hopefully the little guy can transition and get drinking.
daycare 10:20 AM 03-30-2011
This family is always the onces to send thier kids sick or to blame that their kids are sick because of DC. IT drives me batty.

I am really working on my backbone and this family is really helping me with the development....hahahah
cheerfuldom 10:22 AM 03-30-2011
keep us updated! I know what you mean about some families. I started my daycare off being so sweet and accommodating and the DC families brought out the inner tigress pretty quickly. This mama don't mess around now!
Meyou 10:22 AM 03-30-2011
You had a steel one delivering that letter.
Evansmom 10:30 AM 03-30-2011
Oh gosh I am building my backbone now...it's hard.

The way you dealt with that issue is in my opinion just perfect. Really you are standing up for the health of that child and so what if the parent is mad? The health of that child is their responsibility and since they won't do it, you did.
daycare 10:34 AM 03-30-2011
I wish that parents understood that we are "BOTH" in this for the child. I know they want their best for their child and so do I. I just don't understand why I have to push someone to want this for their child. It urrkkksss the day lights outta me...
Evansmom 10:36 AM 03-30-2011
So true, we are certainly not the enemy in this! But so many parents take this kind of thing personally as if their parenting is being attacked.
daycare 10:53 AM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
So true, we are certainly not the enemy in this! But so many parents take this kind of thing personally as if their parenting is being attacked.
amen to that... I am going to get a t-shirt made with that says I am not your ememy, I come in peace...lol
Evansmom 11:06 AM 03-30-2011
lol! I like that t-shirt idea!

The other part of the DCP anger when it comes to us pointing out things to them about their children stems from the idea that care givers don't have any education and therefore we do this job b/c we couldn't do anything else.

I graduated college with a 3.85 while raising two kids and volunteering at their school and working a part time job and when I picked my children up from school I also picked up other children to babysit them until their parents were off work!! I am not ill-educated and I work hard.

Yet I still have a DCD who doesn't trust my not using DEET mosquito repellent on the children b/c DEET is a neurotoxin. But after his pedi told him the same thing...oh NOW he believes me.

So I wonder sometimes that they feel offended b/c they think oh who is this dumb lady to be telling me these things? Sad but true.
daycare 11:20 AM 03-30-2011
omg hit it on the head!! I have a dcd that always questions me. I finally got sick of it and said if you don't trust my judgement then why am I watching your child again? you should have seen the look on his face... This family is no longer with me, because I told him that his child was very ill with white stool and that the child could not come back until has been seen by a doc. well the child ended up in the hospital for several days. They refused to tell me what was wrong with the child, and when I told them that I needed a doc note for DC re-entry the dad told me to shove it.... Believe that one? I said glady and left it at that.

I know that all of us could write a million books on this topic alone........ugh
Kaddidle Care 12:05 PM 03-30-2011
So they never told you what was wrong with the child? What if it was hepatitis and everyone there was exposed? That's just wrong.
daycare 12:13 PM 03-30-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
So they never told you what was wrong with the child? What if it was hepatitis and everyone there was exposed? That's just wrong.
yeah I tried to explain that, but the DCD was a complete controling you know what. That whole situation was crazy and i am so sad that I don't get to see the kids anymore, but there is nothing that I can do about it.

I did however, tell CPS and make a report. I am not sure what happened with CPS, but I hope that they are able to find something.
Tags:bottle to cup, dehydrated, transitioning - bottle to cup
Reply Up