Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Genderless Preschool
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 06-29-2011
http://www.news.com.au/weird-true-fr...-1226082516997

I thought this was interesting and relating to a previous thread we had on the forum about a child being raised genderless.
Country Kids 07:59 AM 06-29-2011
Funny that it was on the show "Weird, true, and freaky". Does the title of the show tell you something about this? Enough said on my part and I will just have to bite my tongue and go on with life!
Blackcat31 08:02 AM 06-29-2011
It was actually on the MSN homepage in the news section and the CatholicNewsJournal as well as a few other news sites but the link I posted was just the first one on the list that I copied and pasted so.....

But yes, I personally think it is hilarious that it made the freaky weird site too!
Michelle 08:22 AM 06-29-2011
They would have a heart attack if they saw our "princess playroom and our boys "man cave" outside! our kids do play together but they love to have their own areas too.
wow, just who would send their kids to that school?
Cat Herder 08:22 AM 06-29-2011
What does a "Gender Pedagogue" earn???

That sounds like a fun gig....

I love those emotion dolls, though.

If they are fully machine washable, are able to take it daily, I'd fork out some serious cash for those!!!!!!!!!!

Those are in my goals for the kids I keep. Empathy and teaching to express emotion without violence are HUGE to me.
nannyde 08:42 AM 06-29-2011
It's just something to do. It's something unique and special. It's a new idea and gives them something to be special about that doesn't cost very much. It puts them on the map as pioneers if it does gain some level of acceptance in their country or the world.

I would want to know how they are doing in the areas of exercise, excellent nutrition, excellent behavior respect for the planet, etc... If they got those down and don't have anything else to tackle then I say go for this idea. It's not going to cost much and they will be able to see it's value if it is carried on once the kids get into public school.
Blackcat31 09:28 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
What does a "Gender Pedagogue" earn???

That sounds like a fun gig....

I love those emotion dolls, though.

If they are fully machine washable, are able to take it daily, I'd fork out some serious cash for those!!!!!!!!!!

Those are in my goals for the kids I keep. Empathy and teaching to express emotion without violence are HUGE to me.
I agree! Those dolls are super sweet and would be awesome for teaching empathy and emotion to younger kids. I have this set of emotion dolls. My kiddos love them!! Not quite as simple but still gets the job done.

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/pro...=1309364154808

Those dolls look simple enough that if someone was handy with a sewing machine, they could probably be easily made....(says the woman who asks her DH to replace missing buttons for her! LOL!! )
Cat Herder 09:35 AM 06-29-2011
I saw those dolls, too, Blackcat

..but with all the business of the hair and accessories the emotional aspect of it gets lost in the shuffle with my 3 and under program.

I still have the photo faces on a stick from the 80's...

I would buy those dolls if someone could make them durable enough. Any takers????
Hunni Bee 05:33 PM 06-29-2011
I don't like how all the books deal with homosexual, single parent, etc. families....that's almost tantamount to teaching that a nuclear or blended, two parent families or heterosexual couples and marriages are "going out of style" or are not common anymore. I agree that all types of families, including same-sex-parent families, should be covered in children's literature...and I wish I could have some of those books in my classroom.

Also, they seem to be contradicting themselves....if they don't even use gender-terms or acknowledge a person's gender, why was it stressed in the book that the there were two male giraffes?

I don't think that would be a place I would ever work at or send my child to. My classroom is set up as gender neutral as possible, my thing is rainbows . I do have princess stuff, I do have he-man fix-it stuff...everybody is allowed and encouraged to play with everything. I teach them to respect each other's differences and encourage each other's renegade-ness...if a girl wants to play fix-it with the guys, I help them accept her.

I also separate my kids by gender a portion of the day. My kids play well together...my 5-year-old girls play just as well with my 3-year-old boys as they do with each other. But there's a unexplainable difference in the deepness of their play when the girls play with girls and the boys play with boys.
Tags:genderless
Reply Up