Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Abigail's Avatar
Abigail Abigail is offline
Child Care Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,413
Default Home Daycare More Like A Center?

I've been thinking a lot about reasons why people choose home daycares vs. centers. Most people I personally know say they want their kids going to a place that feels like home and even better if it's the same size of home, ex. not sending their child to a mansion house if they don't own a mansion themselves.

Well, our lower level will have a setup more like a daycare center because it's all 100% daycare. I want a quote or something to say or way to say that it's not a home setup in the home, LOL. I don't want to interview parents and have them walk inside shocked that it isn't a living room and bedroom, you know? Many people are going to expect the house to look and feel like a home so please help with a way of stating this. This should be a main advertising topic as well since it makes me unique (as far as I know).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 PM
familyschoolcare's Avatar
familyschoolcare familyschoolcare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,287
Default

Home day Care with a Center like environment/set up
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 PM
blessedmess8's Avatar
blessedmess8 blessedmess8 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 231
Default

Maybe put something about a child care center attached to home?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 3,999
Default

We do group day care out of the home my son lives in (but I own). When people call, I explain that we have more room than a regular home day care, (1680 sq feet of the home is dedicated completely to the children)so the kids can spread out and enjoy more room....but we are smaller than a center, with a home and family feel...so the kids don't get lost in the numbers. We tell parents we have the best of both worlds. They LOVE that. Also a HUGE selling point is that siblings are not split up as they would be in a center.

Maybe emphasize the "best of both worlds" angle?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,460
Default

"100% child-friendly environment" Or "100% kid-zone" are the most used sell lines used by the providers in my area who operate family childcare in a building separate from their own home.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-08-2011, 08:25 PM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,415
Default

I don't think that most parents assume a home daycare will be actually in your living space (living room) although sometimes it is. i have a walk out basement and the main room downstairs is completely set up for daycare use. the parents know that the kids are not in my bedroom and rarely, in our family's areas or living room. i've never had a problem with parents expecting it to be that way, in fact, I think they love that the kids have a dedicated play space. i guess i am not seeing the issue that you are trying to avoid.....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-08-2011, 09:21 PM
MsMe's Avatar
MsMe MsMe is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 712
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko60 View Post
We do group day care out of the home my son lives in (but I own). When people call, I explain that we have more room than a regular home day care, (1680 sq feet of the home is dedicated completely to the children)so the kids can spread out and enjoy more room....but we are smaller than a center, with a home and family feel...so the kids don't get lost in the numbers. We tell parents we have the best of both worlds. They LOVE that. Also a HUGE selling point is that siblings are not split up as they would be in a center.

Maybe emphasize the "best of both worlds" angle?
This is EXACTLY what we have. We are the only ones in town that do it this way and I have had parents cry when i tell them my waiting list is at least three years out and there is no chance I am 'going to call them as soon as something opens up'
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 PM
TBird's Avatar
TBird TBird is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
This is EXACTLY what we have. We are the only ones in town that do it this way and I have had parents cry when i tell them my waiting list is at least three years out and there is no chance I am 'going to call them as soon as something opens up'
Mine is too and I actually think that most parents are secretly hoping that the setup is like this. Although "home feel" or "center feel", I'm hoping it comes down to the provider(s) at the end of the day.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-09-2011, 05:08 AM
Sunshine44's Avatar
Sunshine44 Sunshine44 is offline
Running away from home
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 280
Default

I don't think parents just assume it is in your space. I know when I first became a parent and had to look for childcare I had no clue what to expect from a center or a home daycare. I toured both and found I didn't really like either that we had to offer around here. (just my particular opinion from what I saw, not all centers or homes in general) And that is partly why I have my own in home daycare now.

Ok, so I guess you could put something like "child friendly" like one person stated, but don't stress it too much. I don't think they will care too much and if they do, they aren't for you, right?

I like the "best of both worlds" saying some of them use. Tell them you live upstairs and this works for your family. It isn't their business and if they don't like it they will go elsewhere.

I do not see you losing out on a ton of business because of this.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-09-2011, 05:36 AM
JenNJ's Avatar
JenNJ JenNJ is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Burbank
Posts: 1,203
Default

I use the phrase "dedicated daycare space." I go on to say that since it is only used for daycare, none of the hazards found in a typical home are present. It is 100% child proofed.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Sugar Magnolia's Avatar
Sugar Magnolia Sugar Magnolia is offline
Blossoms Blooming
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where the wind goes.....
Posts: 2,379
Default

Abigail, what you are describing is exactly what I have here. We are, in fact, a fully licensed center, but we are a small center in a historic house. If you pm me, I'll forward you my website so you see how I describe it! (We don't live here though).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 PM
TBird's Avatar
TBird TBird is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Abigail, what you are describing is exactly what I have here. We are, in fact, a fully licensed center, but we are a small center in a historic house. If you pm me, I'll forward you my website so you see how I describe it! (We don't live here though).
Sugar Magnolia: Can I ask you if it was hard getting up to regulation in a historic house? In my state everyone says it's easier to BUILD than to try to use a space and get it up to code (unless it was already used for daycare purposes of course). I'd love to get full and then expand to a center-type space. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,761
Default

Centre based room set up with developmentally appropriate areas for play...?

Also don't forget to use photos if you can!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Abigail's Avatar
Abigail Abigail is offline
Child Care Provider
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko60 View Post
We do group day care out of the home my son lives in (but I own). When people call, I explain that we have more room than a regular home day care, (1680 sq feet of the home is dedicated completely to the children)so the kids can spread out and enjoy more room....but we are smaller than a center, with a home and family feel...so the kids don't get lost in the numbers. We tell parents we have the best of both worlds. They LOVE that. Also a HUGE selling point is that siblings are not split up as they would be in a center.

Maybe emphasize the "best of both worlds" angle?
Wow, 1,680 square feet is a lot for only half the house! Ours is slightly smaller, but I'm proud of it! What's funny is I'm actually a Hannah Montana fan and her song is Best of Both Worlds. Yeah, I'm in my mid-twenties and watch the show once in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom View Post
I don't think that most parents assume a home daycare will be actually in your living space (living room) although sometimes it is. i have a walk out basement and the main room downstairs is completely set up for daycare use. the parents know that the kids are not in my bedroom and rarely, in our family's areas or living room. i've never had a problem with parents expecting it to be that way, in fact, I think they love that the kids have a dedicated play space. i guess i am not seeing the issue that you are trying to avoid.....
We'll have two bedrooms, a laundry room (entrance), a bathroom, and living room which will all be 100% daycare. Minus us using the laundry room as well. I guess the main thing parents will not see is that we don't go upstairs to eat or cook in the kitchen because we'll remain downstairs at all times. I'm not really afraid of doing the setup like this because i've really wanted to keep work separate from my personal living space anyways. Just hope I don't interview parents who want to sit in my kitchen and livingroom to interview as they send their kids off to a basic playroom downstairs, lol, it's not gonna happen.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Sugar Magnolia's Avatar
Sugar Magnolia Sugar Magnolia is offline
Blossoms Blooming
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where the wind goes.....
Posts: 2,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird View Post
Sugar Magnolia: Can I ask you if it was hard getting up to regulation in a historic house? In my state everyone says it's easier to BUILD than to try to use a space and get it up to code (unless it was already used for daycare purposes of course). I'd love to get full and then expand to a center-type space. Thanks!
Yeah it was no picnic. Luckily it was already restored to modern standard as far as electric and plumbing. But it was hard to install the fire alarm system. And it is high maintance in general. It also excludes me from certain ADA requirements, but I do have a handicapped ramp. Dealing with zoning was a hassle. But the house is so darn adorable it was ALL worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-11-2011, 03:59 AM
Meyou's Avatar
Meyou Meyou is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenNJ View Post
I use the phrase "dedicated daycare space." I go on to say that since it is only used for daycare, none of the hazards found in a typical home are present. It is 100% child proofed.

That's exactly what I say too. "A dedicated daycare space specifically for children under 5" is what I say.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advertising, center, home daycare, setup

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open Daycare Center - Sell a Daycare - Rent a Daycare - Buy a Daycare Unregistered Open Daycare Center - Sell a Daycare - Rent a Daycare - Buy a Daycare 348 02-19-2018 12:36 PM
Termination Gone Wrong MsKara Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 107 03-11-2015 02:09 PM
Daycare Center trb2u2u Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 11-21-2012 10:28 AM
Daycare Parents Handbook DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 24 12-04-2010 12:35 AM
Start your daycare center business without much hassles kidsdepot Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 09-30-2009 11:35 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:06 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming