Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>States With Rating Systems
Heidi 05:53 AM 09-26-2011
Hello-

How many of you live in states with rating systems? If so, how long have they been in place? Have you been in the field before and after it was implemented? What is your opinion on the subject?

I live in WI, which is in the process of introducing Youngstar, a 5 star rating system. I was a family provider for 10 years, then took a 10 year break, and started up again last February.
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 09-26-2011
My state is in the process of beginning a quality star rating system. Right now, it is only a pilot program in a few areas but I believe that it will be implemented across the state soon.

I for one cannot wait until it is in place everywhere. I think it gives parents the tools to sort out what it is they are looking for in a child care program.

As this forum demonstrates, there are a multitude of different styles of child care providers and facilities out there and it is often difficult for parents to sort throught that.

I also support the fact that providers who go above and beyond in either offering superior, quality care and/or receive training above the basic minimum requirments be recognized.
nannyde 07:20 AM 09-26-2011
We have it here but I don't know very much about it. When I found out that you are QRS 1 if you are registered but to get to QRS 2 you have to get Child Net Certification I knew it wasn't right for me.

I would never be able to pass Child Net certification so I haven't really looked into it too much.

I do have a couple of day care friends who have gone all the way to level five and it has not resulted in them being able to charge higher fees. Without good money in it that comes directly from the parents weekly... I can't see it really catching on here.

They have some grant money for equipment along the way but it is not enough money to compensate for the time the provider has to put into it to go up the levels much less the level of care she must provide specifically in educating kids.
Unregistered 07:47 AM 09-26-2011
I'm curious why you don't think you'd be able to pass and get the higher rating, Nannyde. If you can't, who could?
nannyde 09:19 AM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm curious why you don't think you'd be able to pass and get the higher rating, Nannyde. If you can't, who could?
We don't do a developmentally appropriate program.
laundrymom 09:32 AM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
We don't do a developmentally appropriate program.
What makes you think that?
nannyde 09:39 AM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
What makes you think that?
I've taken the 24 hour child net series twice and I disagreed with pretty much their entire course.

The courses are for professional child care providers. I'm a babysitter. It just doesn't fit in with the services I offer.
laundrymom 09:44 AM 09-26-2011
I dont know what those classes are. I still disagree that you are a babysitter, lol. I think movie night and teen aged bubblegum ponytailed disposable income driving moms car on the weekends as being a babysitter. But to each his own. I can say from what I've seen, other than a few tiny items you could be accredited. At least as I see it. But you don't want to and that's fine. But I still think you are way way more than a babysitter.
wdmmom 10:04 AM 09-26-2011
It all depends on what you want to offer and whether you want to agree with what the instructors tell you.

I don't even want to waste my time. If I have to run my program the way they tell me, I'll be the first person lined up at the unemployment office doing job searches. I don't want to run my program the way someone thinks I should. I want to run it they want I want to run it.

I agree to disagree.

I am a glorified babysitter AKA childcare provider. Same difference.
Sugar Magnolia 10:13 AM 09-26-2011
FL has one, and I participate. I really LIKE the program. I did NOT like it the first year it started, because I only got 2 out of 5 stars, because I did not know about ECERS. I "opted out" the 1st year, because I was CRUSHED by the score. But I buckled down and worked hard, and I have scored 4 stars every year after that. It has been in place 4 years. I got $1800 to spend on the center last year. (Not this year, budget cuts). I love the program, it has REALLY helped me improve the environment. I don't like how I will never get 5 starts though. 75% is your ECERS scores, the other 25% is administrative junk. With a FT staff of two, (my PT staff doesn't count, altough she has a masters degree) unless my hubby goes back to college, we will NEVER be able to have "75% or more of full time staff has college degrees". Nor will I go through the fake busy work of "recording staff meetings" as the car ride home every darn day is a staff meeting. Nor will I prepare a "staff handbook" for my staff of me and my husband. Nor will I "complete 25 hours or more of continuing education" every year, I am so busy just running the school, I barely scrape out my required 10. So, I'll never get 5 stars, basically because they discriminate against me because I am a working, hands-on director, have a SMALL center, and refuse to do unneccesary busy-work. But I LOVE ECERS! And a love having the challenge. I will add this: my county does a TV/radio/print advertising of its Stars program. I have gotten at least 5 clients from having a high score published. It works. Parents DO care.
Meeko 10:37 AM 09-26-2011
I don't like what I hear so far about star ratings. Supposedly, you get more "stars" depending on what you offer. So that means daycare A can get 5 stars for offering calculus for kids and immersion Mandarin.
Doesn't matter if the kids get any love or not.

The place with only one star just offers love and hugs, home cooked meals and good toys.

And yet parents will automatically assume that day care A is better because they have more stars. They are going to think of it like a hotel or restaurant rating.

I think I run a good day care. But I only go to the minimum amount of training classes I need to to keep my license. WHY? Because my family is important to me. I work 60+ hours per week and I want to spend my free time with them and not listening to things I either already know from 25 years of child care or to garbage I don't agree with! And I have to PAY to go to most of them!

I do not offer foreign languages, elaborate field trips, pre-school courses with fancy names etc. I just offer loving care in a clean and healthy setting. I offer care that makes kids feel as close to home as possible and not as if they have been dropped off at mini college. Kids here know they are loved and safe and always will be.

Yet, I will get a lower star rating that the big center up the road because I don't offer all the fancy stuff. Kids there can go all day without an adult even talking to them personally. Kids there can be tended by someone who isn't even sure of their name.

But they deserve a higher rating because the pamphlet by the door shows they have French and German classes each afternoon and aerobics with a "real" instructor each morning. They'll take home tons of "worksheets" to show Mom and Dad how much they are "learning". The fact that the child was crying alone at recess and nobody even noticed won't bother their parents who are so glad their child is in a high "rated" facility.

Here's a concept. How about parents do their OWN research....instead of letting someone else tell them which day care's are "better" than others???
laundrymom 10:50 AM 09-26-2011
I am in the stars program here. Soon I'll be the highest level. I offer no foreign languages. I do offer some basic sign language. I have a safe environment, nutritious meals, child focused play based learning. Not a purchased curriculum. We were curious about butterflies, so we learned about them. We were curious about wind and kites. So we learned about them. I think my program is a well rounded home based learning one where we actively learn about our world. I know my level has helped to keep me at capacity. Others here arent as fortunate.
Heidi 11:41 AM 09-26-2011
In our state, at least 50% is based on teacher education (you have to have at least an associates degree to go 4 or 5 stars), and business practices. Here is the irony: many of the required business practices (like paid vacations and holidays) are things the state is no longer willing to pay (as of Aug of this year) for state subsidized families. To be a 5 star program, you also have to raise your rates annually, share your budget with your parent board (hah! I have 2 families, and can barely get one to talk to me on the way in or out because she's always in a hurry).

My understanding is, they put $10 million into this program to "improve quality". Now, most of it's been delayed for a year while they figure out more changes. It was supposed to be implemented in June, but they kept changing details and realized they couldn't rate everyone that quickly. BTW, besides that, there are 4 levels of regulation. provisionally certified, certified, licensed family, and licensed group. There is also a website where parents can look up your non-compliances, which I think is great. If they sight you for, let's say "failure to comply with a law", parents can now see your rebuttal. Failure to comply with a law might mean you sold drugs OR it could mean you didn't buy a carbon monixide detector for every level of your home! Something, btw, they have not written into the licensing regs but is a state law for 1 & 2 family dwellings, daycare or not!
Sugar Magnolia 11:56 AM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I don't like what I hear so far about star ratings. Supposedly, you get more "stars" depending on what you offer. So that means daycare A can get 5 stars for offering calculus for kids and immersion Mandarin.

The place with only one star just offers love and hugs, home cooked meals and good toys.

And yet parents will automatically assume that day care A is better because they have more stars. They are going to think of it like a hotel or restaurant rating.

I think I run a good day care. But I only go to the minimum amount of training classes I need to to keep my license. WHY? Because my family is important to me. I work 60+ hours per week and I want to spend my free time with them and not listening to things I either already know from 25 years of child care or to garbage I don't agree with! And I have to PAY to go to most of them!

I do not offer foreign languages, elaborate field trips, pre-school courses with fancy names etc. I just offer loving care in a clean and healthy setting. I offer care that makes kids feel as close to home as possible and not as if they have been dropped off at mini college. Kids here know they are loved and safe and always will be.

Yet, I will get a lower star rating that the big center up the road because I don't offer all the fancy stuff. Kids there can go all day without an adult even talking to them personally. Kids there can be tended by someone who isn't even sure of their name.

But they deserve a higher rating because the pamphlet by the door shows they have French and German classes each afternoon and aerobics with a "real" instructor each morning. They'll take home tons of "worksheets" to show Mom and Dad how much they are "learning". The fact that the child was crying alone at recess and nobody even noticed won't bother their parents who are so glad their child is in a high "rated" facility.

Here's a concept. How about parents do their OWN research....instead of letting someone else tell them which day care's are "better" than others???
Meeko, love you dearly but I truly think you have a misconception. I don't teach calculus or Mandarin or have elaborate field trips or have tons of fancy stuff. I have a normal environment. And we have family daycares that participate and do quite well. The BIG centers, some do good, but some don't. A "fancy" place here doesn't even participate because they can't be bothered. And you DO have to have loving, positive interactions to score well, so it DOES count. Check it out, you may like it.
Blackcat31 12:11 PM 09-26-2011

The program for star quality rating system in my state doesn't rate daycares based on how much love they offer. They are rated based on what curriculums and early childhood developmental assessment methods they offer. 5 stars means they offer more curriculum, the providers have more trainings and they follow an approved curricula that allows for the children in their programs to be assessed using a developmentally appropriate and approved method. Programs are rated on things such as:

Family Partnerships

Providers/early educators involve parents in the learning process and respect them.

Teaching Materials and Strategies

Providers/early educators use learning materials that effectively prepare children for school.

Tracking Learning

Providers/early educators track children's school readiness progress and regularly
share findings with parents.

Teacher Training and Education

Providers/early educators have the preparation and training needed to best prepare children for school.

Child Safety

The program space is clean and there are rules that help keep children safe and healthy

If you meet the requirements in those areas, you receive points for it. I personally think the rating system is a good thing and am looking forward to receiving recognition for the things I have done to go above and beyond the basic minimum......and I NEVER sacrificed my family so that I could further my training and I am a bit hurt that you think that because someone did go above and beyond to receive additional trainings that it was perhaps because I don't or didn't put my family first.

I also want to say, "what Sugar said....."
nannyde 12:24 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The program for star quality rating system in my state doesn't rate daycares based on how much love they offer. They are rated based on what curriculums and early childhood developmental assessment methods they offer. 5 stars means they offer more curriculum, the providers have more trainings and they follow an approved curricula that allows for the children in their programs to be assessed using a developmentally appropriate and approved method. Programs are rated on things such as:

Family Partnerships

Providers/early educators involve parents in the learning process and respect them.

Providers/early educators use learning materials that effectively prepare children for school.

Tracking Learning

Providers/early educators track children's school readiness progress and regularly

Providers/early educators have the preparation and training needed to best prepare children for school.

Child Safety

The program space is clean and there are rules that help keep children safe and healthy

If you meet the requirements in those areas, you receive points for it. I personally think the rating system is a good thing and am looking forward to receiving recognition for the things I have done to go above and beyond the basic minimum......and I NEVER sacrificed my family so that I could further my training and I am a bit hurt that you think that because someone did go above and beyond to receive additional trainings that it was perhaps because I don't or didn't put my family first.

Ugh

After reading this it just brought back why I don't like the QRS stuff and child net.

Seriously... WHEN did taking care of kids turn into educating kids? They are NOT one and the same. When the State started saying quality was in ANY part education they lost me.

All this money to implement the QRS and you know what the state pays for an infant state paid kid in Iowa? 120 a week for as much as a 50 hour week. $2.40 an hour for an infant and about $2.15 an hour for a "preschooler" aged two to five.

For $2.15 an hour how the SAMHELL can they possibly have an education along with care?

Our state needs to put their money into paying for CARE before they spend a penny on education. We can't AFFORD education when we don't even have enough money to pay for good care.

We need to get our priorities straight and start paying providers a decent salary to supervise, feed, house, and care for the kids and start worrying about adding education to it when we have the money.

(not directed to you Black cuz you know I luvsya... just sayin)
Heidi 12:37 PM 09-26-2011
I agree, Nanny! Education is important, but the most important thing, in my mind, is that children under 3 or 4 are ready to learn by being able to listen, follow directions, wait their turn, communicate needs, have some basic manners .

Some life skills, like putting on your coat and shoes, etc, are handy too.

Of course, they also need lots of love, opportunities to explore safely, and to know what mutual respect is!
wdmmom 01:04 PM 09-26-2011
This whole conversation reminds me of what a parent told me last week. "My son is here to play and learn to share, be friends, and grow. He has his entire life to get an education. We don't need to start that at 3, 4 or 5 years old."

And this is the same exact reason why I chose to work for this family! I think children age 6 weeks to 5 years need to learn to play toys, crawl, walk, talk, engage in sharing, conversation, using utensils, potty training, etc. Sure, I will help teach them colors and shapes and ABC's and days of the week but I am not a teacher. If your son/daughter doesn't know this information when he/she leaves my care, I shouldn't be responsible in any way whether they were able to retain the information or not. I don't expect them to remember me after a few years either. It's par for the course.
Blackcat31 01:08 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Ugh

After reading this it just brought back why I don't like the QRS stuff and child net.

Seriously... WHEN did taking care of kids turn into educating kids? They are NOT one and the same. When the State started saying quality was in ANY part education they lost me.

All this money to implement the QRS and you know what the state pays for an infant state paid kid in Iowa? 120 a week for as much as a 50 hour week. $2.40 an hour for an infant and about $2.15 an hour for a "preschooler" aged two to five.

For $2.15 an hour how the SAMHELL can they possibly have an education along with care?

Our state needs to put their money into paying for CARE before they spend a penny on education. We can't AFFORD education when we don't even have enough money to pay for good care.

We need to get our priorities straight and start paying providers a decent salary to supervise, feed, house, and care for the kids and start worrying about adding education to it when we have the money.

(not directed to you Black cuz you know I luvsya... just sayin)
I know ya do and it is right back at ya

However, there is a difference between what I want to do and what you do. You want to babysit and provide the basic care. I want to teach and educate. I want to have a specific age group that attends. I do not want to do mixed age groups and perform all the 'care' parts of it. I don't want to change anyone, toilet train them or worry about whether or not they can transition between formula and table foods. Now I know there is a certain amount of care that will always be necessary when dealing with kids of any age but I want that part to really be minimal.

I want to do the whole preschool education thing. I earned the degree to do it and do not like that other than getting a job in Head Start, there really is no place for that here in my community. Don't get me wrong, I do not 100% agree with the fact that education is focusing on the younger and younger crowd of children BUT, it is what it is and since I have the education/training I am going to take full advantage of it.

I think that there are two separate and distinct types of child care out there and in reality there should only be one. Child care should be the basic foundations of caring for our children in the highest quality way.....just like you do/offer. Preschool should be school. It should not have any of the same aspects of what a babysitter or caregiver provides. I do not want to provide care. I want to provide education for the kids whose parents already have a good thing going in the care department.

I know we have had numerous convos about how there is no proof of what early education does for a child but it seems as though that is where the money is and until we can change how parents parent their children it doesn't look like it is going to change much.

I completely see your point of view and I wish I could jump on the bandwagon with it but parents really do not want to pay more than a few dollars a day for care. I don't know of any other way to bring in more money or compete with the stay at home mom who is doing the same thing as I am minus the student loans and college degree. I think you can argue that with me, but YOU are the rarity in the field. I have honestly not come across another provider who is comparitive. I know I am right in saying that or you wouldn't be the "daycare whisperer" or be the focus of so much criticism on this board. People just do not see how much blood sweat and tears you have put into doing what you do.

We need providers like you to make sure the kids have all the tools necessary to be ready to attend a more structured environment.

I have done daycare now for almost 2 decades and I really want to move in another direction without leaving the field. There is no other place to go other than offering what is in demand.
mismatchedsocks 02:05 PM 09-26-2011
I am in Wi too, so its new. But I just got accredited and am a 5 star!

I think youngstar will take some getting used to, but there are some things that I think they could be more lax about, like the points for schooling being so much compared to your actual program!
Meeko 02:24 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Family Partnerships

Tracking Learning

Child Safety

Oh hon...I never meant to hurt you feelings! I'm all for adults getting as much education as they want.

I understand that various states are doing things a bit differently....here, they are just toying with a program right now...but it's not very popular because of the confusion it can cause. What irks me is that the rating system makes parents think that those with a higher rating are better places. The fact is they are just different.

Some parents are going to assume that 2 stars means a lousy, dirty day care while 5 means a great one. When the only difference is what they offer. Not all parents are looking for SCHOOL for their 2 year old's. Some just want a loving home away from home.

I also have a feeling that it will cause a "rating race" in parents....

"We have our little Phoebe in a FIVE star center!. What rating is YOURS?" As if any child who goes to less than a five star facility is going to grow up a complete mumbling idiot.

Maybe some states have tweaked the system so that parents understand it better. Here...it just means one thing. Higher means BETTER and that's not fair.

It means I will HAVE to give up family time and attend more classes just so I can say I did.. It means I will HAVE to offer a full pre-school education even though I am not a teacher. It means I will HAVE to change my day care to what I don't want in order to stay in business.

Right now I am well known across the valley for having a great day care and I have a long waiting list. But as time passes, my list will shrink unless I make the changes to get a high score, because parents will feel I must be less than great if my "stars" are not high.

It's like the government is going to decide whether apples are better than oranges. Day cares should NEVER be lumped under a universal rating system because they are all run so differently.
Blackcat31 02:41 PM 09-26-2011
Oh hon...I never meant to hurt you feelings! I'm all for adults getting as much education as they want.

I understand that various states are doing things a bit differently....here, they are just toying with a program right now...but it's not very popular because of the confusion it can cause. What irks me is that the rating system makes parents think that those with a higher rating are better places. The fact is they are just different.

Some parents are going to assume that 2 stars means a lousy, dirty day care while 5 means a great one. When the only difference is what they offer. Not all parents are looking for SCHOOL for their 2 year old's. Some just want a loving home away from home.

I also have a feeling that it will cause a "rating race" in parents....

"We have our little Phoebe in a FIVE star center!. What rating is YOURS?" As if any child who goes to less than a five star facility is going to grow up a complete mumbling idiot.

Maybe some states have tweaked the system so that parents understand it better. Here...it just means one thing. Higher means BETTER and that's not fair.

It means I will HAVE to give up family time and attend more classes just so I can say I did.. It means I will HAVE to offer a full pre-school education even though I am not a teacher. It means I will HAVE to change my day care to what I don't want in order to stay in business.

Right now I am well known across the valley for having a great day care and I have a long waiting list. But as time passes, my list will shrink unless I make the changes to get a high score, because parents will feel I must be less than great if my "stars" are not high.

It's like the government is going to decide whether apples are better than oranges. Day cares should NEVER be lumped under a universal rating system because they are all run so differently.
YES!! That is exactly what needs to change. They need to catagorize the facilities based on what they are (ie. home childcare, center, early childhood pre-school, etc...) and then award them stars based on how well they do the job in that catagory. That would eliminate the confusion, simplify the search for parents, ease the fear of the workers/owners of these facilties and give recognition to those that do their job above and beyond.

I also do not agree with the fact that some of these rating systems are requiring facitilities to change what they already do to something the state dictates they should do. We should all be allowed to operate in a manner we feel we are best at doing.
Meeko 02:42 PM 09-26-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
i agree, nanny! Education is important, but the most important thing, in my mind, is that children under 3 or 4 are ready to learn by being able to listen, follow directions, wait their turn, communicate needs, have some basic manners .

Some life skills, like putting on your coat and shoes, etc, are handy too.

Of course, they also need lots of love, opportunities to explore safely, and to know what mutual respect is!
oh ditto and amen!!
gelbesonn 08:18 PM 09-28-2011
I didn't read all the discussion, but I just wanted to say that in Vermont, we have STARS system too. I am in the process of applying and as far as I know you don't need to have any sort of curriculum with your kids.
Here is a summary of it:
Originally Posted by :
Providers may apply for STARS recognition in five areas:

1. Compliance with state regulations;
2. Staff qualifications and training;
3. Interaction with and overall support of children, families, and communities;
4. How thoroughly providers assess what they do and plan for improvements; and
5. The strength of the program’s operating policies and business practices.

One-star programs (1 - 4 points) are examining their practices to enhance the services they provide. They may be fairly new, just starting on a path of improvement and growth, or be stronger in one area.

Two-star programs (5 - 8 points) are making a commitment to strengthen their practices. They may have made some progress in many areas or more progress in one or two areas.

Three-star programs (9 -11 points) have made improvements and are working to reach specific goals. They have either made substantial progress in two or three areas or have made some improvements across all five areas.

Four-star programs (12-14 points) are established programs that have met several standards of quality in all five areas. Many four-star programs are also nationally accredited.

Five-star programs (15 - 17 points) are outstanding in all five areas. Many five-star programs are also nationally accredited.

WImom 04:48 AM 09-29-2011
I'm in WI too and haven't signed up for Youngstar. I don't have state paid kids so I feel I don't need it. Unless my enrollment really dies down and its because I don't have a youngstar rating I'll do something about it. But right now I have enough going on and just don't want to give the time to it.
Tags:rating system
Reply Up