Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:31 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Every Other Week Childcare

Hi All,
I've been advertising for about 2 months now to fill a full time or even pt spot with very few calls. I have a mother emailing me now about a possible full time care situation, but it is for only every other week. I don't know any other details why that is the case. She is looking for care 7:30am-6pm. I'm normally open 8-6, but told her for a fee I could open early. Also the baby is 9 M and I do already have a 6 M old here. So my questions are - how much harder are 2 babies than 1 baby (along with four 2 and 3 yr olds) ? and does anyone do every other week care? How would I charge for that? And is it strange to have the inconsistent weeks?
Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMamaTeacherC View Post
Hi All,
I've been advertising for about 2 months now to fill a full time or even pt spot with very few calls. I have a mother emailing me now about a possible full time care situation, but it is for only every other week. I don't know any other details why that is the case. She is looking for care 7:30am-6pm. I'm normally open 8-6, but told her for a fee I could open early. Also the baby is 9 M and I do already have a 6 M old here. So my questions are - how much harder are 2 babies than 1 baby (along with four 2 and 3 yr olds) ? and does anyone do every other week care? How would I charge for that? And is it strange to have the inconsistent weeks?
Thanks in advance for any input!
Soubds like from a split home.
Also are you within your ratio?

A child that young would never adapt to such an inconsistent routine.
I did this for an older child and it was extremely difficult. He was 3.5
Old 11-18-2011, 02:50 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Caring for two or three infants is much easier than caring for 3 2 yr olds IMO. The every other week, that would be tough, no consistency. Would you charge half rate for the non week of care. I have a 3 day minimum per week. You will be losing out on pay 2 weeks a month, and that is big.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:25 AM

That week off in between would seem like starting over on Monday to get him "used" to you I would think. Where is baby other week? Ask mom and tell her you are worried about his transition since that much time off in between being here will likely throw him off.

As far as charging, I personally would not do it because she will want to pay nothing the week he is not here. If she is willing to pay a fee each other week then I would do it.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:38 AM

It depends on the personality of the child. Inconsistant schedules aren't great for many children but there is always the exception to the rule.

Perhaps a trial period to see how it works?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

I had an every other week child in care this summer.She was a little older(5) and she had been in my care for two years before her parents divorced.
It worked out fine here because I happened to have an empty spot this summer so I wasn't really losing money.If you have an extra spot then the money aspect shouldn't be a problem.If you need the money I would require them to pay regardless of attendence.It can work but it just depends on your circumstances.
Again,she adjusted just fine,however she had been in my care for two years previously.I guess it all depends on the child and how they handle divorce.Some a little better than others.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:56 AM

why not try it on a trial period and see how it works?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:08 PM

I have had several calls for every other week and I quote them my rotating schedgule fee. In which they basicaily pay 1/2 rate for the days not used, with and additinal fee if more days needed.

example have one family now who pays $75 a week (usually the rate would be $100) there contract reads this is a roating schedgule and fee for the rate of $75 DCB my attend 5 days out of every 2 week period if additional days or needed then their will be an additional fee of $10 per day.

Tags
every other week care