Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Pre-Interview Questionaire On My Website

I am seriously considering adding a page to my site that says something like "please carefully read and answer these questions honestly before scheduling an interview in order to make sure we are a right fit for you and you are a right fit for (name of DC's) program."

Then I will have 10 or 12 basic questions for them to ask themselves so that they get a really good idea of what I am looking for and whether or not our philosophies mesh.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a form they submit that I can see, although that is an option.

I thought I could direct them there from the front page or during our initial phone conversation and tell them depending on how they respond it will be up to them whether or not we should go ahead and schedule interviews.

Does this sound crazy to you?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

No....I LIKE it!

When you get your list done, share it so I can plagarize!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:27 PM

HAHA this is an awesome idea! I bet it saves you lots of time too- fitering out the people you woudnt accept!

Do share some of your questions if you dont mind please.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
No....I LIKE it!

When you get your list done, share it so I can plagarize!
Deal!

In the top 3 will definitely be... "can you take your child out in public without getting dirty looks from everyone around you?"

Kidding, of course, but you get the idea...
Old 03-28-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins View Post
Deal!

In the top 3 will definitely be... "can you take your child out in public without getting dirty looks from everyone around you?"

Kidding, of course, but you get the idea...
HAHA! I love it!

A barrage of sarcastic questions is circling my mind right now
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

I want to plagerize too!

or we could help you and people could add questions they would put on theirs?

Hmmmm...drawing a blank
Old 03-28-2012, 02:00 PM

How about "do you think that you can take five seconds per week to remember that payday is the same amount, on the same day of the week, every single week, all year long?"
Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 PM

If you came to pick up your child, and found her covered head-to-toe in mud or paint, would you laugh or would you cry?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Just Starting Out!

How do you feel about all natural mud baths (ahem.. backyard mud baths)
Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 PM

I have a 10 question sheet I give to parents to fill out before I interview with them.

I usually e-mail it to them and then have them e-mail it back before they come for the interview. Then I can look the answers over and will know what to ask or not ask about during the interview.

If you ask the "right" questions, it is easy to get the parents to be honest. The trick is to ask them in a way that they can only answer honestly and word them so thatthe questions don't lead them in one direction or another....kwim?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Trix are for kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I have a 10 question sheet I give to parents to fill out before I interview with them.

I usually e-mail it to them and then have them e-mail it back before they come for the interview. Then I can look the answers over and will know what to ask or not ask about during the interview.

If you ask the "right" questions, it is easy to get the parents to be honest. The trick is to ask them in a way that they can only answer honestly and word them so thatthe questions don't lead them in one direction or another....kwim?
I'm very curious what your questions are now! Can you give an example??? Please?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud912 View Post
I'm very curious what your questions are now! Can you give an example??? Please?
Sure! Here are the 10 questions I ask every parent:

1.) Please describe what qualities you are looking for in a child care provider:

2.) Please tell me a little bit about what you are looking for in regards to the environment:
(for example; are you looking for a large group for your child to learn social skills or are you looking for a small group so your child receives more one-to-one care)

3.) What do you find is the most difficult part of parenting? the easiest?

4.) Please describe your bed time expectations/routines
a) your meal time/expectations routines
b) your daily activities/routines

5.) Are there other adults in your child's life that are a source of influence, support, guidance and care giving?

6.) Are you a fairly scheduled family or do you prefer to take things as they come?

7.) What are the last 3 illnesses/situations that required your child to see a doctor?

8.) Would you describe your child as a leader, a follower or a little of both?

9.) Please tell me a little bit about your discipline methods both at home and in public

10.) What is your number one reason for seeking a home based child care vs. center care

The answers to these questions tell you ALOT about a family and what they believe and how they operate at home etc...
Old 03-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Trix are for kids

Quote:

1.) Please describe what qualities you are looking for in a child care provider:

2.) Please tell me a little bit about what you are looking for in regards to the environment:
(for example; are you looking for a large group for your child to learn social skills or are you looking for a small group so your child receives more one-to-one care)

5.) Are there other adults in your child's life that are a source of influence, support, guidance and care giving?

6.) Are you a fairly scheduled family or do you prefer to take things as they come?

7.) What are the last 3 illnesses/situations that required your child to see a doctor?

9.) Please tell me a little bit about your discipline methods both at home and in public

10.) What is your number one reason for seeking a home based child care vs. center care

The answers to these questions tell you ALOT about a family and what they believe and how they operate at home etc...
Thanks! I just thought of one in relation to your 9th question:

What type of behavior in your child warrants discipline?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud912 View Post
Thanks! I just thought of one in relation to your 9th question:

What type of behavior in your child warrants discipline?
It is always interesting to see what things parents will say about their child and how they behave. 99.9% of the time, you can tell within 2 days of spending time with the child if the parent was/is truthful about things.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Nature Lover

Some of mine would be:

Will you allow child to leave for field trips?

Will you allow your child to be here in the event a sub will come in?

Do you have adequate backup in the event of vacations, sickness, etc.?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Just Starting Out!

Ask if they've ever had chicken pox!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:

I like the way you worded them...there is no "right" or "wrong" answer...just a chance to gain insight. You haven't told them how you feel, so they will probably give you honest answers.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
I like the way you worded them...there is no "right" or "wrong" answer...just a chance to gain insight. You haven't told them how you feel, so they will probably give you honest answers.
EXACTLY!

Tags
interview - questions