Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Clarification On Terming a Child

I have an interview this evening and if all goes well and they enroll their child, I will probably be giving my PT family notice. The PT family is the one with the screamer that I can't take anymore and also involves weekends which I would rather not do anymore.

So say I were to give notice on Monday for example. I have DCG on Sunday this weekend and they will pay me that day for the next 2 weeks. If I were to give notice, and they pulled DCG out right away, would I then refund the money to them? Or would they still be required to pay for the 2 weeks?

My contract says that I will give two weeks written notice to them. And if they want to term they are required to give me two weeks notice as well. Or two weeks pay in lieu of notice.

But, my question is does it work that way if I term services and they pull her out right away, or after a week, etc?

Thanks! Happy Friday
Old 06-08-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

When I term, I offer to care for children for two more weeks. (This is assuming it is not an immediate termination for violent behavior or something). Then, if parents want to pull immediately and not return, I do NOT pursue payment for the two weeks. If I am at the point of termination, I personally would rather they just go then hang around for two more weeks and I am not going to further alienate the family by basically saying "I dont want to take care of your child anymore but you still have to stay for two weeks or pay for two weeks on your way out the door"
Old 06-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom View Post
When I term, I offer to care for children for two more weeks. (This is assuming it is not an immediate termination for violent behavior or something). Then, if parents want to pull immediately and not return, I do NOT pursue payment for the two weeks. If I am at the point of termination, I personally would rather they just go then hang around for two more weeks and I am not going to further alienate the family by basically saying "I dont want to take care of your child anymore but you still have to stay for two weeks or pay for two weeks on your way out the door"
Thanks Cheerful! That is what I assumed! I kind of hope they pull her right away but I know how hard it was for them to find care in the first place for their crazy schedules. Hence why they drive an hour and a half here.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:00 AM

It depends on the wording of your contract, but it sounds like they would be required to pay the two weeks as long as you are willing to provide care for those two weeks.

If your new family wants to start right away I would consider allowing them to leave earlier, without pay, since the spot would technically be filled.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:05 AM

I normally require two weeks pay OR attendance whether I term or the family terms but in this case if the child is a bad one (like this screamer) I would prefer they go immediately and I would take the loss of income and if I have another child starting up, then I surely wouldn't pursue the last two weeks payment and just call it good.

I am crossing my fingers (and toes) that this interview goes well and this new family signs on as I am sooooo hoping you can be done with the screamer child as that is a hard thing to deal with.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I normally require two weeks pay OR attendance whether I term or the family terms but in this case if the child is a bad one (like this screamer) I would prefer they go immediately and I would take the loss of income and if I have another child starting up, then I surely wouldn't pursue the last two weeks payment and just call it good.

I am crossing my fingers (and toes) that this interview goes well and this new family signs on as I am sooooo hoping you can be done with the screamer child as that is a hard thing to deal with.
Me tooooo!! This child is part time too but during the week only. Tuesday, Wednesday, and some Fridays. So that will work out great!!! If the screamer does stay my mom will be in town next week and the one after so at least she will be able to help me since I will be full until the screamer goes.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

I think this is one of those that is a case by case matter....

In this case, I would let them leave early without payment if wanted. Less of a headache on your part.

However, if I were terming for another reason, I might require payment from them if they just decided to up and leave after I had given notice.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I usually term with the option of the 2 weeks. If they take it they pay and if they don't they don't pay. Makes it easier for me to get rid of them sooner