Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Parent Assaulted By Daycare Owner
Lucas K 03:35 PM 11-09-2012
Today I went to ***** Avenue Children Center to get tax receipts for my daughter's care, and was attacked by the owner, Tanya ******, as I was leaving. I called ahead of the time and was told to come in. When I showed up, we spoke about the receipts and we agreed that I will pick them up later that day. Before leaving, I went to see her again to give her contact information, that's when she turned psycho and started yelling at me in front of all children that I am trespassing on her property, then ran outside after me and pushed me off the stairs! Later that day I got a phone call from the Police, saying that she filed a report of break and enter. Luckily the Police knows how to do their job, and with their help I was able to eventually get my tax receipts unharmed. Tanya might one day decide that my daughter is trespassing, and push her off the stairs too, so we are not going to take any more chances with that violent, paranoid person.
youretooloud 03:51 PM 11-09-2012
Obviously, there are two sides to every story. But, it is odd that she didn't want to have your tax receipt ready when she agreed to. I understand not having time when you want it, but if she said "come by on Friday morning", it should have been ready.

I don't give tax receipts until January. But, If someone needed it early for some reason, I'd do it for them. (but, i'd need time to get it ready.. I have tons of things to do already)

I'm assuming you weren't being calm and charming when she chased you off her property... I don't know the whole story, but I'm just guessing she didn't suddenly snap unprovoked.

I DO hope you removed your child from her care before this happened. If she can't keep a calm head while her children are there, she shouldn't have your child at all. Kids don't ever need to see that for any reason. If she really felt like you were overstepping, she should have called 911 before getting into a confrontation with you.
Lukasz K 02:27 AM 11-10-2012
The receipt was for the previous year, so I wasn't asking for anything out of ordinary. She got upset that I came back right after I seemingly left, and decided it was a good reason to shout and get violent. I went back to give her my wife's new phone number because she said she needed to contact her. Go figure. And no, my kid is no longer at that daycare.
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 11-10-2012
I am sorry that this happened to you but in all honesty, your provider (ex) is not legally required to give you any tax statements other than her tax ID number. If you paid your provider, she should have given you a receipt at the time of payment or you can use your cancelled check as a receipt in order to use it on your taxes.

She is NOT however, required to provide you with a year end statment in regards to how much money you paid her. YOU are using your payments as a deduction so YOU should keep track of it.

I guess if you are not in the U.S though and are in Canada, the rules/laws may be different but in the U.S., the provider doesn't HAVE to provide you with anything.

Also, I am wondering what the point of this post is? Are you asking what you should do next or are you just looking to flame your previous provider?

I understand that you had a rather unfortunate incidence with her but I don't see the productiveness in posting on an open forum anything bad about her. If you have a serious and valid complaint about her, you should call the licensing department in your area and file a complaint. You have a police report to support it.

There are two sides to every story as yourtooloud pointed out, so I guess there isn't much advice that I feel I can give on this situation other than report it to the proper authorities. Posting about in on the internet just to mark up her reputation is neither necessary nor productive.

I hope you are able to find a provider for your daughter where you are comfortable and are able to have a good working relationship with.
MarinaVanessa 10:52 AM 11-12-2012
Originally Posted by Lukasz K:
The receipt was for the previous year, so I wasn't asking for anything out of ordinary. She got upset that I came back right after I seemingly left, and decided it was a good reason to shout and get violent. I went back to give her my wife's new phone number because she said she needed to contact her. Go figure. And no, my kid is no longer at that daycare.
I'm not sure what country this took place in but as someone pointed out in the thread here in the US year-end statements are not required by law to be handed out, only the businesses tax ID's are. Even then we are only required to give those out if we are given a W-10.

Asking for a year-end statement for me is in itself not unusual as I personally choose to give them out along with the client's W-10's however I know that it's not common to do so. Asking for a year-end summary for a previous year (as in the 2011 year) is deffinetely uncommon ... even I don't do that. Going back that far for me would be very time consuming and I only have few families a year. I just wanted to point this out so that if you are in the US you are aware that at no time was she required to give you a year-end statement. If she did she actually did you a favor.

I understand that the daycare owner told you she'd have one ready by the end of the day however by the way that you worded your post it seems to me that she asked you to come back later but before leaving and instead of coming back later in the day you immediately went back to see her again ... jusy curious as to why you did. I'm not sure why someone would "attack" someone for no apparent reason and I'm not condoning her behavior however it just seems to me as though she really wanted her off her property. Did you give her cause to make her want you to leave?

It seems a little unrealistic that all that happened was that you went in asked for a year-end statement and then she hollered at you and pushed you out. It just doesn't make sense to me. It seems as though information is missing from this post.

As others have said, you aren't helping your cause by venting here. You can call your local licensing office to report what happened and they can investigate. You can also file a claim with the BBB so that other consumers are aware of the issue.
Tags:aggressive behavior, bad providers
Reply Up