Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Nature Lover

Default More ? On Conducting Safety Drills

Does everyone practice safety drills (fire,earthquake, lock down) when the kids are playing or do you do random. I've been giving this alot of thought and wondering about doing it during the following:

mealtime/snacktime
preschool time
playtime

Now does anyone do it during:

Naptime
When someone is in the restroom
Out on fieldtrips/walks

We are to practice Earthquake drills but we don't have earthquakes here so I'm not even sure how the kids will know why we are doing it! I really don't know how to get the kids to know the earth is shaking and we need to go for cover. For those though that do do them do you do them during any of the above time?

Also, if you are outside during a earthquake drill what in the world do you do?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

Nap time is the worst! I've had to do a fire drill, in the winter (it snows here) and it was horrible! The restroom time would be hard too. I guess it would give you good practice though. Good question: what would you do if you were outside during an earthquake? Run inside I suppose?.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Nature Lover

AAHH, thats another one I hadn't thought of-doing it when its absolutely pouring outside! The thing is though we aren't going to take our time getting our boots and coats on and it would probably turn into a huge mess for a practice run.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

When it comes to doing drills it is important to remember the practice is more for the teachers /adults than for the children unless you have only older school aged children
Old 12-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Nature Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare View Post
When it comes to doing drills it is important to remember the practice is more for the teachers /adults than for the children unless you have only older school aged children
For me it would be for my kids. They can't handle when the emergency broadcast system comes on. I want them to learn to calm down during something like this and use their EARS not the mouths.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM

I wonder if it would help to record a practice broadcast, so the child get used to the sound and the sound might not be so Scarry.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Nature Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare View Post
I wonder if it would help to record a practice broadcast, so the child get used to the sound and the sound might not be so Scarry.
I see your in CA-how do you do your earthquake drills outside?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Nature Lover

Anyone in CA coduct earthquake drills outside and if so what do you do?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 PM

For my drills we review what the school taught for each emergency situation then later that week we have a emergency drill the children know where outside to wait for me. What part of California are you in I was not told I needed to do earthquake drills just fire twice a year