Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Nature Lover

Default Bullying

Big question here: Honni Bee brought it up in another thread but something I have been wondering about.

Kids that do the bullying: I know not always, but are they usually bigger for their age and behind in areas?

One of my friends has a little one that is 4 and bigger then most 5 year olds!!!! Shows some issues with development but does show aggression/bully type behavior.

I have seen little teeny tiny ones though to be bullys but wonder if they do this because they think they can get away with it being so tiny. These ones usually have no delays though.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 AM
New Daycare.com Member

I had a little boy in care who I would consider a bully. He was 1 yo. Every time I got a new kid, he would go up to them and smack them in the face, or hit them with a toy, or try to shove them down, or sit on them...and he'd try to continue that behavior with each child as long as he thought he could get away with it...and thought it was the funniest thing.

He had older brothers who rough housed with him big time, and a dad who saw nothing wrong with him throwing things at people (dcm brought that up to dad once but because at that time it was something soft, dcd thought it was stupid to not allow him to throw it...even though the boy didn't know how to distinguish hard from soft and had thrown a heavy, full sippy cup all the way across the room).

NOTHING I did would stop this boys behavior with the other children...because it was ok for him to do at home with the bigger kids.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Trix are for kids

Our classroom bully would be my dd (unfortunately ). She is the smallest of all the children and normal intelligence.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:11 PM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud912 View Post
Our classroom bully would be my dd (unfortunately ). She is the smallest of all the children and normal intelligence.
So is mine . Or at least she is without her medication (like today). She has ADHD and impulse control issues and tends to be very bossy and dictorial which is almost completely a non-issue when she is given her meds ... thank goodness for Straterra .

We can give it to her as she needs it and she doesn't drone out or turn into a different child when she's on it, she still has tons of energy but focuses better and makes better choices. Today I didn't offer it to her and oh man, she gave me a run for my money. No fighting today or bickering with the children but she did try to sass and boss me .
Old 02-15-2013, 05:35 PM
False Sense Of Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
Big question here: Honni Bee brought it up in another thread but something I have been wondering about.

Kids that do the bullying: I know not always, but are they usually bigger for their age and behind in areas?

One of my friends has a little one that is 4 and bigger then most 5 year olds!!!! Shows some issues with development but does show aggression/bully type behavior.

I have seen little teeny tiny ones though to be bullys but wonder if they do this because they think they can get away with it being so tiny. These ones usually have no delays though.
The reason I said that is that a lot of children who bully ar trying to deflect attention from their own flaws and problems, and they find this to be easier to do through physical means when they have a size/strength advantage.

Not that all bullies are bigger or developmentally behind.

I have seen this child, when have trouble with something, proceed to say hurtful things to everyone in proximity to him. When he gets reprimanded for something or can't get what he wants, he finds someone to hit or push down. He does not even approach kids who are bigger than him to play, but consistently finds the smaller/more prone to cry kids to "play".

Those things just make him stand out as a bully to me.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc20021 View Post
I had a little boy in care who I would consider a bully. He was 1 yo. Every time I got a new kid, he would go up to them and smack them in the face, or hit them with a toy, or try to shove them down, or sit on them...and he'd try to continue that behavior with each child as long as he thought he could get away with it...and thought it was the funniest thing.

He had older brothers who rough housed with him big time, and a dad who saw nothing wrong with him throwing things at people (dcm brought that up to dad once but because at that time it was something soft, dcd thought it was stupid to not allow him to throw it...even though the boy didn't know how to distinguish hard from soft and had thrown a heavy, full sippy cup all the way across the room).

NOTHING I did would stop this boys behavior with the other children...because it was ok for him to do at home with the bigger kids.
at one year old he acted like this?? Yikes, I'd hate to see him as a teen!

Tags
bullying