Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Decided To Close... Nervous And In Need Of Better Words...
lolaland 01:54 PM 03-03-2013
I decided to close my daycare business for “all the reasons in the world”! But I don't want to explain to the parents all these reasons and will only refer to the - “Incompatibility of the very long hours of operation of home-daycares and my own family's schedules”- to be the only reason for this closing.

The sentence under is all I was able to write until now in the letter for the parents and I find it very “dry”. I was wondering if any of you could help me sound more warmer/loving and less “I'm done! Good luck & goodbye...” type of tone...

Until now I have:

“Due to some personal changes on my family life's schedule to happen in April, I am forced to adapt to a more flexible work schedule not compatible with the demands of a home daycare sole provider. Therefor, I will be closing my home daycare business for an undetermined period of time on April 1st 2013. I hope these 4 weeks ahead with be a reasonable amount of time for all my daycare families to find new daycare services”.
JenNJ 03:03 PM 03-03-2013
"Dear Parents,

I am sad to announce that as of April 1, 2013 I will be closing. I have found that my work/life balance has gone askew and I will be focusing on my family for the time being.

I have loved caring for your children and wish you all the very best. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank You!"
Kaddidle Care 03:56 PM 03-03-2013
Whatever you decide on, spell check it first.

Less is more - they don't need to know every detail. 4 weeks notice is ample.
lolaland 04:58 PM 03-03-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Whatever you decide on, spell check it first.

Less is more - they don't need to know every detail. 4 weeks notice is ample.
Oh-oh ... what did I spell wrong (English is not my primary language....). You think 4 weeks is too much time to give to families?
nannyde 06:19 PM 03-03-2013
Originally Posted by lolaland:
Oh-oh ... what did I spell wrong (English is not my primary language....). You think 4 weeks is too much time to give to families?
They will most likely bargain with you, get mad next, and then scoot out as soon as they find someone new. They will not stay the whole time.
cheerfuldom 07:22 PM 03-03-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
They will most likely bargain with you, get mad next, and then scoot out as soon as they find someone new. They will not stay the whole time.
yup, be prepared for people to leave immediately. its nothing personal, they just want reliable daycare and obviously you arent that person anymore (or you wont be soon). some others may be mad but there is nothing you can do about that. life is a rollercoaster, nobody gets a smooth ride all the time.
Binkybobo 03:54 AM 03-04-2013
I decided to close my daycare business for “all the reasons in the world”! But I don't want to explain to the parents all these reasons and will only refer to the - “Incompatibility of the very long hours of operation of home-daycares and my own family's schedules”- to be the only reason for this closing.

The sentence under is all I was able to write until now in the letter for the parents and I find it very “dry”. I was wondering if any of you could help me sound more warmer/loving and less “I'm done! Good luck & goodbye...” type of tone...

Until now I have:

“Due to some personal changes on my family life's schedule to happen in April, I am forced to adapt to a more flexible work schedule not compatible with the demands of a home daycare sole provider. Therefor, I will be closing my home daycare business for an undetermined period of time on April 1st 2013. I hope these 4 weeks ahead with be a reasonable amount of time for all my daycare families to find new daycare services”.
I think what you have come up with is perfect. I know I am not a veteran member here,but I had to give parents notice a couple of weeks ago that I will actually be moving this week. They were more understanding than I expected,and were just appreciative of the fact that I gave them time to find quality care. When asked if I would be doing daycare at my new house, I explained that I would probably only do before and after school care because I need a schedule that allows me to attend my children's school functions. I also need to be able to get them in case of emergency. Everyone was very understanding. I have never crossed a hateful,person that would lash out, but I am sure that it happens. Just get it over with. You'll feel a lot better. I just appeared very apologetic about it,but inside I was leaping with joy to be closing. Good luck!
Mom&Provider 06:55 AM 03-04-2013
I think less is more, it often is in this business when it comes to explaining ourselves, our personal lives, our plans etc. It's really not their business why you are closing, what is their business is that you are in fact closing and that they are given enough time to find alternative care and until they find (within your 4 weeks) that care your daycare will provide the same care it always has.

I agree, some parents might be upset and some will bolt as soon as they find something else, so be understanding about that and to an extent understandable too. Dont' take it personally, you're giving them enough time and this is your next step into your future!
lolaland 06:59 AM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by Mom&Provider:
... and this is your next step into your future!
I like the sound of that ... Thank you!
Kaddidle Care 08:11 AM 03-04-2013
"Therefor" = Therefore

An easy booboo!
lolaland 09:42 AM 03-04-2013
Oh lord!! Kids are napping and pretty soon it is time to deliver the letters to each family!! My stomach hurts ... I feel so ready for my next "adventure" but really not ready at all for the next few hours and the 4 weeks ahead!!!!!!
lolaland 09:51 AM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by Binkybobo:
I think what you have come up with is perfect. I know I am not a veteran member here,but I had to give parents notice a couple of weeks ago that I will actually be moving this week. They were more understanding than I expected,and were just appreciative of the fact that I gave them time to find quality care. When asked if I would be doing daycare at my new house, I explained that I would probably only do before and after school care because I need a schedule that allows me to attend my children's school functions. I also need to be able to get them in case of emergency. Everyone was very understanding. I have never crossed a hateful,person that would lash out, but I am sure that it happens. Just get it over with. You'll feel a lot better. I just appeared very apologetic about it,but inside I was leaping with joy to be closing. Good luck!
Thank you! Pretty soon I'll let you know if my experience was as positive as yours...

lolaland 09:52 AM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
"Therefor" = Therefore

An easy booboo!
Thank you! Right on time to reprint and pass the letters to the families after nap
lolaland 10:03 AM 03-04-2013
I will feel really bad if they bargain and/or get mad... but I really prefer them to leave as soon as possible! I think 4 weeks gives a lot of opportunities for lovely "friendships" to turn very sour But I'm giving 4 weeks as my last "sacrifice" for the well-being of these families...(don't know if that makes any sense at this point. )
My3cents 10:35 AM 03-04-2013

Until now I have:

I wish you well
lolaland 12:53 PM 03-04-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I wish you well
Thank you! Really in need of hugs... gave 3 letters so far... my heart is pounding!!! This is painfull! ... specially when all the 3 kids refused to leave the daycare today
lolaland 06:54 AM 03-05-2013
Update:

- All the 6 families expressed they are "devastated" with the news of my closing (I even had to deactivate my facebook account because it was too much for me to handle). One parent even offered to work a few hours for free in my daycare so I could take care of my own family demands/schedule...

- All families are very understanding about the reason I gave

- All families expressed their intention of using my daycare until the last day... I really hope they change their mind about this one meanwhile... now that I emotionally "checked out", my burnout felling is sinking inn even more. I'm so exhausted to the point I can't even feel happy/relived for making the decision to close.

Now I had to call my ex-assistant to stay for an hour with the kids so I could take a breath. I hardly slept last night, was harsh with my own daughter this morning when she spilled the cereal bowl with milk all over herself before leaving to school while I was trying to make french toasts to the daycare kids and answer parents at the same time... Can't wait for the “happy-felling-about-my-decision” to arrive... but I suspect that will only happen when all kids leave and I take a few days rest by myself...
Rachel 07:23 AM 03-05-2013
You did the hard part. Think of the positives, it's nice to be loved!

You can get through the next month, the end is in sight. You did right by the parents by giving them a month to find new care, and I fully believe what goes around comes around.
cheerfuldom 11:56 AM 03-05-2013
can you hire your assistant for more hours for the next four weeks? since you are find with parents leaving early, seems the same if they stay and you use the income to hire a sub. just a thought.

it will get better! its less than 20 days, you can do it! and i highly doubt that all families will stay till the end. you will start getting people dropping out by next week because if they begin the search now, they may need to start somewhere new or end up paying you AND paying to hold a spot.
Starburst 04:08 PM 03-05-2013
I think that is also some of the main stages of grief.
lolaland 05:56 AM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
can you hire your assistant for more hours for the next four weeks? since you are find with parents leaving early, seems the same if they stay and you use the income to hire a sub. just a thought. .
This is not an option only because my assistant rather not make the money than taking care of the very specific demands/schedule of each of these 6 kids... this group is a juggling act ... hard to keep a "smooth ride".
lolaland 04:08 AM 03-08-2013
Snow day today! Schools are closed... daycare is closed! Thank you God! Much needed rest from a draining week. Countdown ..3 Weeks to go.
lolaland 04:13 AM 03-14-2013
So desperately in need for "this" to be over...! Almost 2 weeks to go (by the end of tomorrow) and I still have all the families here... from the 6 families, 4 of them already confirmed they will use my daycare until the end. A lot of mixed fellings comes along with such waiting A "free falling" kind of feeling... sometimes excitement, sometimes panic, sometimes freedom, sometimes lost!! Sometimes all of the above at the same time!! For those of you also on a "closing countdown", is this also hapening to you?
Reply Up