Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-23-2013, 05:05 PM
lflick's Avatar
lflick lflick is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 200
Default Rate Dilemma...

I currently do a daily rate. I have seen a few posts of weekly rates. Which do you do and why? If you do weekly would you mind sharing your rate sheets, even in private? I have considered moving away from daily to generate a more stable group of kids as well as income as I am finding a lot of folks are requesting say 2 days a week.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 6,857
Default

You'll find a lot here: http://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=rates
__________________
Michael Castello
http://www.ccin.com/about.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM
LaLa1923's Avatar
LaLa1923 LaLa1923 is offline
mommyof5-and going crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflick View Post
I currently do a daily rate. I have seen a few posts of weekly rates. Which do you do and why? If you do weekly would you mind sharing your rate sheets, even in private? I have considered moving away from daily to generate a more stable group of kids as well as income as I am finding a lot of folks are requesting say 2 days a week.

I think more and more people want part time. I'm not really sure why. My rates are $225 for infants under 2, and $185 - $200 for over 2. I have wanted to switch to a rate that wouldn't change from infant to toddler. I know a bunch of providers on here do that. It all comes down to the area you live in though.

My rate is the same regardless of attendance.

My daily rate is $50
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:06 AM
Angelsj's Avatar
Angelsj Angelsj is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,323
Default

I accommodate almost entirely part timers. I charge only hourly.
I also don't do contracted hours, or get upset when the kids are here and the parents are home. If you or your child are in my house, I am getting paid, so I do not care.
I also let them pay after the fact, though if you do not pay on your day to pay, there are late fees that accumulate.
The hourly rate would more depend on your area. Here a daily rate is around $25-$35, so my hourly of $3.50 is about mid range. If they are over 21 hours a week, they get $3.00 an hour.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:08 AM
NeedaVaca's Avatar
NeedaVaca NeedaVaca is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Middle
Posts: 2,240
Default

I do a weekly flat rate regardless of how many days they come. I always know what I'm getting paid each week and it never varies, they pay the same rate 52 weeks per year and I get paid holidays and vacations.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:08 AM
jenn's Avatar
jenn jenn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 695
Default

I have a daily rate of $30 per day. Parents pay weekly. I charge the same for full time/part time, infant/toddler/preschool.
5 days=$150 per week
4 days=$120 per week
3 days=$90 per week
1 or 2 days=drop in care. I charge the same rate, but it is based on availability. If I find someone that wants 3 or more days, I take them and the drop in is out of luck!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:39 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflick View Post
I currently do a daily rate. I have seen a few posts of weekly rates. Which do you do and why? If you do weekly would you mind sharing your rate sheets, even in private? I have considered moving away from daily to generate a more stable group of kids as well as income as I am finding a lot of folks are requesting say 2 days a week.
I charge weekly for the exact reason you mentioned....it is simply more financially stable.

I have a weekly rate based on not only pick up time but for 3, 4 and 5 days a week enrollment.

Anything less than 3 days per week is considered drop in and charged accordingly. I also only take drop in's IF I have available space so there is no guarantee of space if a family signs on at 2 days per week.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,018
Default

I have a weekly rate of $130 and a daily rate of $30, but for pt they have to come at least 2 days a week and that is for all age groups. Currently I have 3 full time families and 2 part time. I make a little more for the two part time kids than one full time child so it works out and I like the little break in the middle of the week. When I opened, (this past Jan.) I also had it set in my mind that I would take no less than 3 full time children (plus my son) and the other 2 could be either or.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-24-2013, 04:54 PM
lflick's Avatar
lflick lflick is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsj View Post
I accommodate almost entirely part timers. I charge only hourly.
I also don't do contracted hours, or get upset when the kids are here and the parents are home. If you or your child are in my house, I am getting paid, so I do not care.
I also let them pay after the fact, though if you do not pay on your day to pay, there are late fees that accumulate.
The hourly rate would more depend on your area. Here a daily rate is around $25-$35, so my hourly of $3.50 is about mid range. If they are over 21 hours a week, they get $3.00 an hour.
How do you get paid? Do you wait until the end of the week and trust that they will pay you?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:15 PM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,202
Default

I get paid in advance Friday before care is given.

My rate sheet is as follows:

5 days=175
4 days=160
3 days=135
2 days=100


drop in is $50/day, although I currently don't have space for drop ins. My pt'ers are set days and they aren't allowed to switch. I DO enroll other PT children around those days and I am at capacity every day. For instance, right now I have a M/F child paying $100/week and a W-TH child paying $135, they take up one space, and I make $235 (vs $175 for a FT client). I also have a T/TH child and a M/W/F child taking up one space (for $235). That's an additional $120/week vs just having 2 FT kids.

I LOVE this pay scale, and I wouldn't go back to everyone having the same daily rate again.

In fall, I am implementing a sliding rate scale based on how early they are picked up to attempt an earlier closing, but that's the ONLY thing I will change.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM
lflick's Avatar
lflick lflick is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
I get paid in advance Friday before care is given.

My rate sheet is as follows:

5 days=175
4 days=160
3 days=135
2 days=100


drop in is $50/day, although I currently don't have space for drop ins. My pt'ers are set days and they aren't allowed to switch. I DO enroll other PT children around those days and I am at capacity every day. For instance, right now I have a M/F child paying $100/week and a W-TH child paying $135, they take up one space, and I make $235 (vs $175 for a FT client). I also have a T/TH child and a M/W/F child taking up one space (for $235). That's an additional $120/week vs just having 2 FT kids.

I LOVE this pay scale, and I wouldn't go back to everyone having the same daily rate again.

In fall, I am implementing a sliding rate scale based on how early they are picked up to attempt an earlier closing, but that's the ONLY thing I will change.

I love that you are charging more for the convenience factor, more or less, as they are eating up a full time spot... BUT it doesn't match the full time rate so the parents don't feel like they are paying full time for a lesser spot.... Have you had any flack from parents about this?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 AM
Angelsj's Avatar
Angelsj Angelsj is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflick View Post
How do you get paid? Do you wait until the end of the week and trust that they will pay you?
In some cases every two weeks. I occasionally have to chase money, but not all that often. Between late fees and making it clear I will not continue to take the kids if they do not pay on time, they do pretty well.

It is rare (at least around here) for any daycare to let you pay hourly, or text the night before (or sometimes even the morning of) and get your kids in. For my part timers, I am a one in a million and the fact that I have a degree, experience (over 30 years) and a wonderful environment, keeps them wanting to stay. They don't want to irritate me.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsj View Post
In some cases every two weeks. I occasionally have to chase money, but not all that often. Between late fees and making it clear I will not continue to take the kids if they do not pay on time, they do pretty well.

It is rare (at least around here) for any daycare to let you pay hourly, or text the night before (or sometimes even the morning of) and get your kids in. For my part timers, I am a one in a million and the fact that I have a degree, experience (over 30 years) and a wonderful environment, keeps them wanting to stay. They don't want to irritate me.
Having that "ONE thing" makes all the difference.

If every provider could figure out their "one thing", there would be a way shorter venting thread....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 AM
originalkat's Avatar
originalkat originalkat is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,389
Default

I only take full time kids and charge a flat monthly rate of $525. I do very well attracting working families who need full time and my enrollment is pretty consistent. I dont get a lot of turnover typically.
__________________
Originalkat
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lflick View Post
I love that you are charging more for the convenience factor, more or less, as they are eating up a full time spot... BUT it doesn't match the full time rate so the parents don't feel like they are paying full time for a lesser spot.... Have you had any flack from parents about this?
Nope, all of my parents love my rate scale and think it's fair.

I have gotten 2 kids from providers who were charging flat FT rates, and the parents REALLY didn't feel that was fair.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Angelsj's Avatar
Angelsj Angelsj is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Having that "ONE thing" makes all the difference.

If every provider could figure out their "one thing", there would be a way shorter venting thread....
So true, and being comfortable with what you do. I tried it the other way, rating scale, set hours, pay up front, etc, and it just wasn't me. I know a lot of providers like it, and that is fine, but I like it my way. I like the people I get (mostly), and the way I do things is very laid back.
They come, they go, some pay me, some don't (lots of kiddos friends are also here.) Some days I am doing well to get a head count. They all just become part of the larger family.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-26-2013, 03:56 AM
LK5kids's Avatar
LK5kids LK5kids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsj View Post
I accommodate almost entirely part timers. I charge only hourly.
I also don't do contracted hours, or get upset when the kids are here and the parents are home. If you or your child are in my house, I am getting paid, so I do not care.
I also let them pay after the fact, though if you do not pay on your day to pay, there are late fees that accumulate.
The hourly rate would more depend on your area. Here a daily rate is around $25-$35, so my hourly of $3.50 is about mid range. If they are over 21 hours a week, they get $3.00 an hour.
This is almost my program to a T! I have never had to chase $$$. If a family did not pay me Friday by 5:30 and came Monday morning they woulndn't get in the door without payment. No way would I let money owed continue to pile up.

This time getting doing child care I have 1/2 full time, 1/2 part time. Years ago almost all my families were full time. Rate is the same for all families, but under two will go up after the first of the year.

I love the people I get too and I guess my style is also laid back. I get very close to my families but no way do I let people walk all over me. I also feel like my program is one in a million, at least for my area. I have years working with young children and their families. Many in family child care, many in other kid related positions.

It helps me that this is a smaller community and people know me from the positions I have had. I had to go to the jail last night for fingerprinting for licensing and I knew the jailer from when I did parentng classes at the jail. He started asking me about opening my center and that he lives a block away and his provider is quitting in a year and he will need child care.

I have a BA in education. My environment and program is high quality & unique for this area also. Again, for me this keeps parents wanting to get a spot here and stay. Nope theY do not want to irritate me either!

We are kindred spirits angelsj!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rate schedule, rate sheet, rates

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does this rate schedule seem reasonable? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 12-05-2012 03:38 PM
Quick Question About Rate Notice. Suggestions Please! Nickel Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 10-16-2012 10:03 AM
Gave Notice On Rate Increase wdmmom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 10-11-2012 08:43 AM
Thinking of Rate Change.. meli829 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 09-21-2010 03:27 AM
Rate Change for B & A school momofboys Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 02-25-2010 09:24 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming