Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Good afternoon Wesley

Question For Those Who Offer a Pre-K Program

Hello folks,

Can those of you who offer a Pre-K program as part of your Home Daycare explain how you are doing it. Is this a full day session or half day, are you following a curriculm or making up your own.

Also, are you considered a private entity or prefunded by your state (I know some states do not allow you to charge if you are prefunded because they pay salary) and finally, if you're private, do you charge a higher fee for this option or is this just part of your regular daycare agenda. Whew!

I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I would like to be able to offer both without being forced into starting a center. So, any and all information that you share would be very much appreciated.

TIA,

Mrs B

Last edited by MrsBelvedere; 09-30-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: ETA: ARGHH!!! I really wanted this on the main board.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

I offer a pre-k program. I am private. I use creative curriculum. I include it as part of my daycare and do not charge extra for it because it is the age group I want to care for. I prefer not to do infants but there is no way I could compete with the big centers for the 3 and 4 year old's if I didn't offer a preschool/prek program.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Daycare.com Member

I was interested in doing just a preschool program, like 3-5 year olds in the morning, maybe another group in the afternoon if there was enough interest. I eventually decided to do full day childcare for the same ages and include the preschool aspect. Several factors played into that decision. The biggest two were:
1)my location (not enough families around that would be looking for just preschool to make it pay as much as full day care for fewer kids)
2)inability to get the proper liability insurance without being licensed.

I like the idea, I just couldn't make it work for me.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Daycare.com Member

I am a home daycare. I do all day daycare with preschool activities. My preschool "lessons" are done in the morning with things mixed in throughout the day of play also.

I don't charge extra for the curriculum. It's rather expected to include preschool in my area. I REALLY enjoy the preschool part of my day and I put a lot of time into putting together a great lesson for the kids.

I've used premade curriculums and I've created my own. I base my decision off of how advanced the group of kids are that I'm currently working with. This year, I'm doing all my own again. I do keep all the materials so that I can add to or mix up anything that I've previously used. I try to keep it all very organized so I can easily find a particular lesson or theme.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Good afternoon Wesley

Thanks for the responses,

So, I see that it is possible and that some do offer this option, curriculm and all, which is Great!. However, I was really hoping to be prefunded (shivers everytime I hear that word ) by the state but it doesnt appear that will happen according to my plan. Therefore, I must resort to a plan B.........

Thanks again,

Mrs B
Old 10-01-2013, 08:56 AM

I moved the thread to the main area for you after I noticed your edit comments.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

Here it is very difficult to get funded. I looked into it and decided it wasn't what I wanted. You needed a certain degree level as well as an assistant at a slightly lower degree level. Plus the amount of paperwork and all the rules and regulations were not what I wanted. For example if I was funded I wouldn't be able to celebrate any holidays during the 6 hour preschool day they were funding.

Tags
pre-k