Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas

Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas Post breakfast items, lunch items, and snack items that are all child friendly here. Each posting should include ONLY ONE meal option. The SUBJECT of each message should be ONLY the name of the food you are describing.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-18-2014, 11:02 PM
MissElliesHomeDaycare's Avatar
MissElliesHomeDaycare MissElliesHomeDaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2
Default Prepare vs. Catering

I'm trying to get a home daycare started and am having trouble deciding between catering lunch or preparing it myself. What does everyone else do? How did you make that decision? I don't know much about the regulations or guidelines I'd have to follow to be qualified to prepare the food myself. Are they hard to comply with? I'm sure they differ from state to state. I'm in Alabama. Any insight would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-19-2014, 04:19 AM
Play Care's Avatar
Play Care Play Care is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 6,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissElliesHomeDaycare View Post
I'm trying to get a home daycare started and am having trouble deciding between catering lunch or preparing it myself. What does everyone else do? How did you make that decision? I don't know much about the regulations or guidelines I'd have to follow to be qualified to prepare the food myself. Are they hard to comply with? I'm sure they differ from state to state. I'm in Alabama. Any insight would be very helpful.
I would think that most in home providers prepare the lunches if they provide the food. Catering meals can get expensive taking a chunk out of your income. There are tons of ideas on how to make quick, healthy meals to get the most bang for your buck. Being on the food program helps as they reimburse you a certain percentage for the food - I know I make a habit of trying to provide as many of my meals as possible *under* the reimbursement amount - so I get to *make* money off the deal.
Obviously this is different for large group in homes or day care centers. Usually they have a designated cook. But for a typical in home with 5-6 kids, making your own meals is probably the way to go.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2014, 04:24 AM
MrsSteinel'sHouse's Avatar
MrsSteinel'sHouse MrsSteinel'sHouse is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,481
Default

I also make my own meals. To be on the food program I believe you have to. I can not serve any restaurant food. Being a home provider there are no "regulations" such as health inspections or anything.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-19-2014, 05:32 AM
melilley's Avatar
melilley melilley is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,017
Default

I make my own meals as well. I am also on the food program and that helps a lot with my dc grocery bill! I have never heard of a center or home using a catering service, I think it would be too expensive.

I don't have any restrictions on making food, I just have to follow the meal pattern guideline from the fp (which isn't hard) and licensing rules as far as food safety, hand washing, etc...

Last edited by melilley; 06-19-2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Added
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-19-2014, 07:59 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is online now
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 6,927
Default

I make my own food. I wouldn't even know where to go to even begin to find out about catering my meals. I've never heard of that for family child care or center based child care. I would assume that it's expensive and in this business we tend to scrimp and save wherever we can.

can I ask where you heard of this idea? Do you have a service that provides this in your area? How much will it cost?
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 24,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
I make my own food. I wouldn't even know where to go to even begin to find out about catering my meals. I've never heard of that for family child care or center based child care. I would assume that it's expensive and in this business we tend to scrimp and save wherever we can.

can I ask where you heard of this idea? Do you have a service that provides this in your area? How much will it cost?
ALOT of centers in my area do catered meals. Including our Head Starts.

It's discussed in my daycare community alot. I think a few in-home providers do catered lunches here too


Sounds like it is a pretty lucrative business to be in.

Here some examples of child care catering services:

http://plumfoodservices.com/
http://www.kiddiecatering.com/
http://www.boaden.com/Daycare/home.html
http://thepreschoolpantry.com/child-care-center-start
http://www.bytowncatering.com/business_daycare.html
http://www.qualitycateringforkids.com/services.php
http://www.rfrk.com/catering/childcare/
http://www.jefferyscatering.com/dayc...hool-catering/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-19-2014, 09:04 AM
BrooklynM's Avatar
BrooklynM BrooklynM is offline
Provider
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Posts: 517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
ALOT of centers in my area do catered meals. Including our Head Starts.

It's discussed in my daycare community alot. I think a few in-home providers do catered lunches here too


Sounds like it is a pretty lucrative business to be in.

Here some examples of child care catering services:

http://plumfoodservices.com/
http://www.kiddiecatering.com/
http://www.boaden.com/Daycare/home.html
http://thepreschoolpantry.com/child-care-center-start
http://www.bytowncatering.com/business_daycare.html
http://www.qualitycateringforkids.com/services.php
http://www.rfrk.com/catering/childcare/
http://www.jefferyscatering.com/dayc...hool-catering/
Is it terrible that I bookmarked all of these sites for menu ideas? Lol.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is online now
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 6,927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
ALOT of centers in my area do catered meals. Including our Head Starts.

It's discussed in my daycare community alot. I think a few in-home providers do catered lunches here too


Sounds like it is a pretty lucrative business to be in.

Here some examples of child care catering services:

http://plumfoodservices.com/
http://www.kiddiecatering.com/
http://www.boaden.com/Daycare/home.html
http://thepreschoolpantry.com/child-care-center-start
http://www.bytowncatering.com/business_daycare.html
http://www.qualitycateringforkids.com/services.php
http://www.rfrk.com/catering/childcare/
http://www.jefferyscatering.com/dayc...hool-catering/
Oh wow, I had never heard of this. The daycare centers that I've been to have a cook and their own kitchen and our Head Start and Jump Start programs are all on public school grounds so they get their meals from the school cafeteria (they are brought to the classroom on a cart). The idea that some places got their meals catered just never occurred to me as an option.

I googled catering for daycare in my area and didn't find anything.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-28-2014, 08:27 PM
TwinKristi's Avatar
TwinKristi TwinKristi is offline
Family Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV View Post
Oh wow, I had never heard of this. The daycare centers that I've been to have a cook and their own kitchen and our Head Start and Jump Start programs are all on public school grounds so they get their meals from the school cafeteria (they are brought to the classroom on a cart). The idea that some places got their meals catered just never occurred to me as an option.

I googled catering for daycare in my area and didn't find anything.
I've never heard of such a thing... Our HeadStart is also on school sites so it's school meals.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-30-2014, 02:52 PM
AmyKidsCo's Avatar
AmyKidsCo AmyKidsCo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,302
Default

I'm on the Food Program so I have to make my own meals. I would anyway - you get to know your kids and what they like and it's more cost effective. Remember that the Food Program minimums are how much you have to have on hand, not how much you have to serve - for instance, this morning I used 1.5 apples to feed 7 children. It's under the minimum but I had additional apples to cut if they wanted more, which they didn't. Less waste!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-30-2014, 03:44 PM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 2,254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo View Post
I'm on the Food Program so I have to make my own meals. I would anyway - you get to know your kids and what they like and it's more cost effective. Remember that the Food Program minimums are how much you have to have on hand, not how much you have to serve - for instance, this morning I used 1.5 apples to feed 7 children. It's under the minimum but I had additional apples to cut if they wanted more, which they didn't. Less waste!
I'll trade you ... I have a 14 month old that can eat a whole nectarine, clementine or plum by herself plus all of her meal and she still wants more sometimes; she's not a big kid either
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-30-2014, 03:52 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is online now
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 6,927
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LysesKids View Post
I'll trade you ... I have a 14 month old that can eat a whole nectarine, clementine or plum by herself plus all of her meal and she still wants more sometimes; she's not a big kid either
Ugh this is me but with all of the DCK's and my own 3 kids included. They are eating me out of house and home.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alabama, catering, prepared meals

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To Prepare Your Own Children For Starting Inhome Care? tratliff Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 09-23-2013 08:07 AM
Need Prepare Ahead Meal Ideas SunshineMama Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas 11 08-20-2013 04:11 PM
How Do You Prepare Families For Summer? LaLa1923 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 32 04-11-2013 08:16 AM
Things We Can Do NOW To Save On Taxes Or Prepare For Tax Time? jojosmommy Daycare and Taxes 4 12-24-2012 01:14 PM
How To Find The Right Person To Prepare Taxes lvt77 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 01-27-2011 02:20 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:15 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming