Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default How do you ladies typically advertise??

I have one spot to fill beginning in August and this will be the first time I've had an opening in 15 months of operation. So I'm new to advertising for an available position. I live in a rural area, so I wouldn't want to put an ad in the nearest paper. That city is about 15 miles away and I'm sure no one would drive that far. Any suggestions?

ETA I have a business sign in my front yard for passing traffic, but I'm on a residential street. So I'm sure the same people are passing my home everyday.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:59 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
I have one spot to fill beginning in August and this will be the first time I've had an opening in 15 months of operation. So I'm new to advertising for an available position. I live in a rural area, so I wouldn't want to put an ad in the nearest paper. That city is about 15 miles away and I'm sure no one would drive that far. Any suggestions?

ETA I have a business sign in my front yard for passing traffic, but I'm on a residential street. So I'm sure the same people are passing my home everyday.
I put business card/post cards from vistaprint in local stores even when I do not have openings...I have signs up at the 2 entrances to our road.....the main highway enters from 2 sides.....mostly I get children from word of mouth because either someone knows someone whom has been here or has seen my information, plus I stay in close contact with local schools and that also leads to clients calling. I work in t-shirts I had made with my info on them and when I go somewhere, you would be surprised at the questions I get about where I am located....just keep your name out there and word of mouth will do the rest! Good luck!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

Make sure to tell your parents - they are the best source for referrals!
Old 07-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

Hello,
I have my business listed with our childcare resource & referral program. I also post flyers w/ a coupon attached to the multi-home mailboxes.

Good luck!!
Old 07-27-2014, 01:04 PM

All my clients come from word of mouth referrals from current families.

Also in my area, if you participate with QRIS, the give our your name in their advertising.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:06 PM

We don't have QRIS yet. But it's coming. All of mine have been word of mouth too, but no luck this time. I'm about a block away from a high traffic intersection, so I'm thinking I should put a sign there?
Old 07-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
We don't have QRIS yet. But it's coming. All of mine have been word of mouth too, but no luck this time. I'm about a block away from a high traffic intersection, so I'm thinking I should put a sign there?
QRIS does NOTHING to help providers here advertise...YES everything is posted online, but parents do not understand it.....QRIS does nothing to make a parent feel comfortable....even when I explain my very large mandated posted report card during interview, many times I get a blank stare from the client...Anyway, I have found that every 4-5 years I have openings because I generally get kids at a few weeks and keep them till school-age therefore building a waiting list but when I call from the list many kids have aged out or moved on....so that is why I try to keep word of mouth going along with some visuals so I can keep calls current allowing my spots filled as children enter kindergarten....just be persistent, Wednesday,.....it will come together for you. There are many illegally unlicensed home daycares in my area so they have took their share of clients from licensed programs. Good luck to you
Old 07-27-2014, 04:05 PM

Thanks Annalee. Those unlicensed ones are killing us around here too. Craigslist is COVERED UP in ads for illegal providers. But that's another thread.
I emailed my parents and posted it on my Facebook page, so we'll see.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:39 PM
Daycare.com Member

Aside from word of mouth & parent referrals, I have good luck with putting flyers out at the local library, post office, & grocery store.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Thanks Annalee. Those unlicensed ones are killing us around here too. Craigslist is COVERED UP in ads for illegal providers. But that's another thread.
I emailed my parents and posted it on my Facebook page, so we'll see.
I, personally, am not a fb fan, but many use that, too, and get positive results... That just might work!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

Is your DC searchable on Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc? Here's the link for Google: http://www.google.com/business/
Old 07-28-2014, 06:31 AM

Craigslist (ours is VERY active and busy) and more recently, being an active member of several local parenting-type Facebook groups that fit my parenting and care style.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
Craigslist (ours is VERY active and busy) and more recently, being an active member of several local parenting-type Facebook groups that fit my parenting and care style.
Ooooooooooooo good one!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 AM

More threads on advertising and advertising ideas

http://daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=advertising+ideas
Old 07-28-2014, 08:20 AM
Daycare.com Member

I always find a way to mention that I have a daycare to any sales clerk, pharmacist , etc. For example, I was talking to our new pharmacist about how nice it is to work close to home, and when I told her what I did for a living, she mentioned she's newly pregnant and wants to set up a tour. I always mention all of the organic groceries I buy for my daycare kids when I'm out grocery shopping. I would also suggest keeping a business card handy. The other way is one of my incredible dcm's has tons of friends on Facebook and has connected me with 2 parents that posted looking for care. But you know, it's feast or famine with getting kids!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Daycare.com Member

I found all my clients through advertising on CL and 2 through word of mouth from my neighbors. I haven't had to fill a spot in a while, but I have people interested when I do have an opening, and those potential clients are from the word of mouth from one of my sets of parents.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Family Childcare Home

Mostly through CL ads that refer people to my website or through Google searches. People search for child care and my daycare pops up in Google Business searches if I am close to where they live.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:34 PM

many of my clients come from word of mouth - other clients or just other people in town who know I run a daycare. But I would say the majority just find me thru a google search - my daycare website will pop up in their search and then they email or call me. I have tried a few sites where you pay to be listed but never got any real bites off them. CL in my area is horrible - I don't even attempt using it anymore. My FB page gets some traffic but usually just from people who already heard of me from somewhere else.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:45 PM

Community facebook selling pages. We have several facebook pages where people can sell stuff locally, I advertise there.
Acts 13:22

Tags
advertising, advertising ideas, marketing