Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas

Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas Post breakfast items, lunch items, and snack items that are all child friendly here. Each posting should include ONLY ONE meal option. The SUBJECT of each message should be ONLY the name of the food you are describing.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Unregistered

Default Bottle Feeding?

I'm looking for advice on bottle feeding one child in a mixed-age group home daycare setting (routines for preparing the bottles, warming, washing, ect.) I'm opening home daycare soon, and I have no experience with formula to base my approach feeding procedures on, since my dd nursed exclusively.

I understand the instructions regarding the ratios of fomula to water, ect. Mainly, I'm looking for advice regarding any policies and tips anyone has to offer. Sorry if the question sounds silly... I just don't have experience in this area, and want to avoid any potential headaches.

I will be on the USDA food program, and my rates will be higher than others in my area partly because I'm offering organic foods, and would also like to include parents choice of formula (even organic), for those who choose it, as an amenity--as opposed to only offering one kind. Do I ask parents to provide x number of empty bottles? Enough bottles for one day or two? Do I wash them? Or do they? Dishwasher or by hand? Would it be easier to premix a day's worth of formula in a formula mixer/pitcher and refridgerate, or just mix each bottle individually? Would one can of formula per week for 4 or 5 days of care be sufficient to plan for?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:16 AM
Daycare.com Member

As you are just starting I would insist on 3 premade bottles from parents.No mixing putting together just heat and feed.I always have a small crockpot on counter filled 3 qts with water ,pop the bottle in for a few min ready to drink.bY HAVING THE BOTTLES READY IT MAKES YOUR DAY MUCH EASIER -NO ROOM FOR ERROR MIXING EITHER.i EVEN REQUIRE THIS FROM NURSING MOMS -3 READY TO FEED BREAST MILK BOTTLES -WARM THE SAME WAY.i ALSO HAVE PARENTS SEND BABY FOOD FOR THE FIRST YEAR.mUCH EASIER .
Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm looking for advice on bottle feeding one child in a mixed-age group home daycare setting (routines for preparing the bottles, warming, washing, ect.) I'm opening home daycare soon, and I have no experience with formula to base my approach feeding procedures on, since my dd nursed exclusively.

I understand the instructions regarding the ratios of fomula to water, ect. Mainly, I'm looking for advice regarding any policies and tips anyone has to offer. Sorry if the question sounds silly... I just don't have experience in this area, and want to avoid any potential headaches.

I will be on the USDA food program, and my rates will be higher than others in my area partly because I'm offering organic foods, and would also like to include parents choice of formula (even organic), for those who choose it, as an amenity--as opposed to only offering one kind. Do I ask parents to provide x number of empty bottles? Enough bottles for one day or two? Do I wash them? Or do they? Dishwasher or by hand? Would it be easier to premix a day's worth of formula in a formula mixer/pitcher and refridgerate, or just mix each bottle individually? Would one can of formula per week for 4 or 5 days of care be sufficient to plan for?
I do not allow parents to send pre mixed bottles. Parents could add things to it and not tell you. The risk is too great. Also, the food programs in some areas require the provider to prepare. I out them in the dishwasher every afternoon.

I have a few of every kind of bottle so I just use my bottles. I generally make up each bottle or just a couple at a time. I don't want to take the chance they'll get picked up early etc and maybe stay out sick the next day and waste the formula.

I'm not on the food program but parents provide whatever formula they desire. One small can a week generally does the trick. My dcb infant gets bottles thickened with rice cereal and the parents bring that also because his bottles are VERY VERY thick and he uses a lot of cereal a week.

And they bring a can a week and that works. He eats two bottles a day. They feed him before he arrives. When he's here on days he eats at 4:30 am and arrives at 5:00. Then eats exactly at 8:30 and exactly at 12:30 and the. Is picked up at 3:30 and eats at home again at exactly 4:30 . Yes, he rarely gets off schedule. He's awesome lol.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

I'm on the food program and offer a certain type of formula and have never been taken up on it! If they bring their own, as long as you feed it to them, it counts.
I have parents bring bottles and have them bring an extra one just in case. For the parents who provide formula, they either send them in premade or one of my dcm's sends water in a bottle and then sends in those containers that are divided up and pre-measured. She drinks them room temp so I don't warm them up. Another parent sends breast milk and I just put water in the microwave to warm it up and then put the bottle in the warm water for a while. I send bottles home for parents to wash.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have worked at 2 centers . One required parents to bring pre made bottles , and the teachers labeled them. Another offers formula , bottles are made at feeding time . Parents supply bottles . Both daycares rinsed the bottles only and sent them home. The second daycare things got confusing making bottles at feeding time . The first way, with parents providing pre made bottles , was much easier. Then again , these are rooms with multiple children taking bottles . If you only have one or two babies, I would see what the parents prefer .
Old 11-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Unregistered

Thanks for the responses!

I like the suggestion of preparing the bottles myself to minimize any potential risk, ensuring myself that they are properly mixed and stored. Sounds like I can plan to use about one can of formula per week. Reading through the comments makes formula feeding sound much more managable than I had initially thought. Thanks again!