Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Health Insurance Deduction? for Tom

My husband was self employed for 1 1/2yrs back in 2007, we had to get private health insurance that is in my name because my birthday is first I guess. Then he got a job at the end of 2008 that didn't offer insurance so we have kept our private insurance. Well now his employer offers insurance and will pay a portion of my husbands premium, but won't pay any portion of mine or our kids. We opted not to take that insurance because it has a much higher deductible 2,000 vs 500 we have now as well as Dr visit co pays are more and we would lose our accidental rider that pays for the first 1000 per person per year if it is an accident. which I have 2 young boys, so that is a definite need
Anyway, can I at least deduct mine and my kids portion of the health insurance premiums that I pay since the employer wont pay any of ours or can I not deduct any of it?
Thank you.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:17 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default health insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
My husband was self employed for 1 1/2yrs back in 2007, we had to get private health insurance that is in my name because my birthday is first I guess. Then he got a job at the end of 2008 that didn't offer insurance so we have kept our private insurance. Well now his employer offers insurance and will pay a portion of my husbands premium, but won't pay any portion of mine or our kids. We opted not to take that insurance because it has a much higher deductible 2,000 vs 500 we have now as well as Dr visit co pays are more and we would lose our accidental rider that pays for the first 1000 per person per year if it is an accident. which I have 2 young boys, so that is a definite need
Anyway, can I at least deduct mine and my kids portion of the health insurance premiums that I pay since the employer wont pay any of ours or can I not deduct any of it?
Thank you.
If you and your children are not eligible to be covered under your husband's employer plan, then you can deduct the insurance premiums on your joint Form 1040. If you are eligible, but choose not to purchase it because the deductibles are too high, you can't deduct the premiums.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
If you and your children are not eligible to be covered under your husband's employer plan, then you can deduct the insurance premiums on your joint Form 1040. If you are eligible, but choose not to purchase it because the deductibles are too high, you can't deduct the premiums.
Does covered under his employers plan mean the employer pays a portion of the family premium? Or just that he has insurance for families but the families have to pay the full premium.
I'm sorry I guess I don't quiet understand.
His employer does offer health insurance that we can sign up for but we still have to pay the full premium. He will pay 100.00 per month towards the employee premium though.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default health insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
Does covered under his employers plan mean the employer pays a portion of the family premium? Or just that he has insurance for families but the families have to pay the full premium.
I'm sorry I guess I don't quiet understand.
His employer does offer health insurance that we can sign up for but we still have to pay the full premium. He will pay 100.00 per month towards the employee premium though.
You are covered under an employer plan if you are eligible to participate, even if you have to pay the full premium.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:35 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you for clarifying this for me. I greatly appreciate it.

Tags
health insurance