Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-26-2015, 10:37 AM
mim's Avatar
mim mim is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: In my home
Posts: 130
Default Health Insurance Deduction? for Tom

My husband was self employed for 1 1/2yrs back in 2007, we had to get private health insurance that is in my name because my birthday is first I guess. Then he got a job at the end of 2008 that didn't offer insurance so we have kept our private insurance. Well now his employer offers insurance and will pay a portion of my husbands premium, but won't pay any portion of mine or our kids. We opted not to take that insurance because it has a much higher deductible 2,000 vs 500 we have now as well as Dr visit co pays are more and we would lose our accidental rider that pays for the first 1000 per person per year if it is an accident. which I have 2 young boys, so that is a definite need
Anyway, can I at least deduct mine and my kids portion of the health insurance premiums that I pay since the employer wont pay any of ours or can I not deduct any of it?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-26-2015, 02:17 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,754
Default health insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
My husband was self employed for 1 1/2yrs back in 2007, we had to get private health insurance that is in my name because my birthday is first I guess. Then he got a job at the end of 2008 that didn't offer insurance so we have kept our private insurance. Well now his employer offers insurance and will pay a portion of my husbands premium, but won't pay any portion of mine or our kids. We opted not to take that insurance because it has a much higher deductible 2,000 vs 500 we have now as well as Dr visit co pays are more and we would lose our accidental rider that pays for the first 1000 per person per year if it is an accident. which I have 2 young boys, so that is a definite need
Anyway, can I at least deduct mine and my kids portion of the health insurance premiums that I pay since the employer wont pay any of ours or can I not deduct any of it?
Thank you.
If you and your children are not eligible to be covered under your husband's employer plan, then you can deduct the insurance premiums on your joint Form 1040. If you are eligible, but choose not to purchase it because the deductibles are too high, you can't deduct the premiums.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-26-2015, 04:20 PM
mim's Avatar
mim mim is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: In my home
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
If you and your children are not eligible to be covered under your husband's employer plan, then you can deduct the insurance premiums on your joint Form 1040. If you are eligible, but choose not to purchase it because the deductibles are too high, you can't deduct the premiums.
Does covered under his employers plan mean the employer pays a portion of the family premium? Or just that he has insurance for families but the families have to pay the full premium.
I'm sorry I guess I don't quiet understand.
His employer does offer health insurance that we can sign up for but we still have to pay the full premium. He will pay 100.00 per month towards the employee premium though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 AM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 2,754
Default health insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mim View Post
Does covered under his employers plan mean the employer pays a portion of the family premium? Or just that he has insurance for families but the families have to pay the full premium.
I'm sorry I guess I don't quiet understand.
His employer does offer health insurance that we can sign up for but we still have to pay the full premium. He will pay 100.00 per month towards the employee premium though.
You are covered under an employer plan if you are eligible to participate, even if you have to pay the full premium.
__________________
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-27-2015, 10:35 AM
mim's Avatar
mim mim is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: In my home
Posts: 130
Default

Thank you for clarifying this for me. I greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
health insurance

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where Do You Get Your Health Insurance? LeslieG Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 04-16-2013 08:48 AM
Tax Write Off List, Can't Find daycare Daycare and Taxes 22 03-05-2013 06:17 PM
Health Insurance Premiums: Still Claimable? MarinaVanessa Daycare and Taxes 14 02-20-2013 12:04 PM
Another Health Insurance Question wdmmom Daycare and Taxes 1 02-19-2013 02:49 PM
Health Insurance Premiums, Help Please Unregistered Daycare and Taxes 3 05-14-2012 05:10 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming