Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas

Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas Post breakfast items, lunch items, and snack items that are all child friendly here. Each posting should include ONLY ONE meal option. The SUBJECT of each message should be ONLY the name of the food you are describing.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default New Favorite Dairy-Free Topping/Dip

Took my daughter to the pediatrician recently and when I said we were limiting dairy (she reacts badly to it), and the dr. asked if I felt she was getting enough calcium from greens and I admitted that we don't eat leafy greens as often as we should, she offered a recipe which she promised would get us to eat kale. She was right--it did! We both gobbled it up, topped with this "parmesan cheese" substitute. Then I offered it to the kids as a "dip" (though it's powdery) for their veggies at snack--and everyone loved it and gobbled up more veggies than they might have otherwise. Here's our new favorite recipe:

"Parmesan Cheese"
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup raw almonds
Grind to powder (not to a butter) in coffee grinder or similar.
Add 1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
Sprinkle liberally on food such as hot steamed greens, pasta, rice etc etc.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:56 PM
Daycare.com Member

That sound good! I will have to try it. My own DD is dairy free and 4 of my DC children are as well. It makes meal and snack time challenging at times.

On a side note for you own child, have you considered rice milk? Mine drinks it to compensate for some of the calcium she misses out on from regular dairy.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you. We do use coconut milk or almond milk sometimes, and she actually does eat some dairy (has outgrown an allergy--an actual, doctor-diagnosed allergy -- but it still gives her stomach trouble) and eats lots of greens and beans, so I do think she has plenty of calcium. We were worried at first but have learned a lot...
Old 09-28-2015, 06:00 AM
Daycare.com Member

I've used silken tofu to make peanut butter dip for apples and such.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntymimi View Post
I've used silken tofu to make peanut butter dip for apples and such.
What is your recipe for this?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:37 AM
Daycare.com Member

My friend and her daughter are both dairy free, and she sent me this recipe that taste just like ranch dressing. You may have to adjust the amounts becuase she says she just does it by look/taste, but I made her give me a recipe so I had some idea.

1/4-1/2 cup mayo
1-2 tbsp rice vinegar
1/2 tsp salt, garlic powder, dill,

Tags
dairy free