Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2016, 09:56 AM
spud912's Avatar
spud912 spud912 is offline
Trix are for kids
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default Working with Lost Voice

Long story short, I am no longer contagious, but my voice has been completely 100% gone for 3 days now. I'm off today for MLK but the dck's are coming back tomorrow. Have any of you ever worked with no voice whatsoever? Any tips on how to make it through?

Everything I've read states that when it gets this bad it can take up to 2 weeks to get it back, especially if you're not "resting" your voice completely.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2016, 10:10 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 8,558
Default

Rest your voice as much as you can and drink tons of water. I have worked when all I could do was whisper, not sure if it's the same thing. It was actually kind of cute because everybody whispered back or would be really quiet so they could hear me.
Hope you feel better!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2016, 10:23 AM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
Rest your voice as much as you can and drink tons of water. I have worked when all I could do was whisper, not sure if it's the same thing. It was actually kind of cute because everybody whispered back or would be really quiet so they could hear me.
Hope you feel better!!!
I've done the same and found the kids were much better behaved, for some reason. I think they felt bad for me! I just tried to speak as little as possible. I didn't read books to the kids like I usually do - they looked through the books themselves. Instead of craft activities that I would have to explain or give directions for, they did easy activities like Play-Doh, coloring or painting.

I hope you're feeling better and your voice returns soon.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,294
Default

Eat raw lemons! I lose my voice with every cold and this does wonders for me. I agree with the others to just talk as little as possible and I find the kids adapt pretty well to miming
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2016, 10:46 AM
redmaple's Avatar
redmaple redmaple is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 137
Default

I too have done a few of the only able to whisper days and they went remarkably well. Not sure how not being able to talk at all would go. How good is your miming? Hope you are feeling better soon!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-18-2016, 11:52 AM
NoMoreJuice!'s Avatar
NoMoreJuice! NoMoreJuice! is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: KS
Posts: 714
Default

Hope it comes back quickly! It's a necessary tool of our trade, lol!

A few months ago I began whispering to get my preschool class quiet. They expect me to clap or raise my voice or whistle, so when the whispering started, they were shocked, and they all quit talking and leaned in to hear me. It's been working like magic, and I hope you get the same reaction!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-18-2016, 07:40 PM
spud912's Avatar
spud912 spud912 is offline
Trix are for kids
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

We'll see how it goes! I have a tidbit coming back already so I hope it comes back more overnight . Thanks for the lemon suggestion, Ariana.....just got a bucket full today from my mom's tree in her backyard . I sound like a chronic smoker going through puberty and the only "voice" I have is in my lowest possible tone at a hushed voice, but hey that's better than the whisper I had this morning.

It's weird because I actually feel much much better today, but I think people at the grocery store thought I am on death's door.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-18-2016, 08:12 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I don't want to put all my personal info out there but I loose my voice about 90-95%every week due to my condition. I think everyone gets used to it that knows me and those that don't I tell them I was cheering in happiness and lost my voice. It's always by Wednesday that it starts to go and by Friday it's almost gone,Saturday completely gone. I rest on Sunday. Normally that's enough to get me back to Monday but not always.

Been surffering like this almost 7 years. But I'm ok. 🤗
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud912 View Post
We'll see how it goes! I have a tidbit coming back already so I hope it comes back more overnight . Thanks for the lemon suggestion, Ariana.....just got a bucket full today from my mom's tree in her backyard . I sound like a chronic smoker going through puberty and the only "voice" I have is in my lowest possible tone at a hushed voice, but hey that's better than the whisper I had this morning.

It's weird because I actually feel much much better today, but I think people at the grocery store thought I am on death's door.
That is the worst! You feel fine but sound horrific! When my voice comes back I sound like Fran Descher from The Nanny for at least a few weeks
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-19-2016, 11:13 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I don't want to put all my personal info out there but I loose my voice about 90-95%every week due to my condition. I think everyone gets used to it that knows me and those that don't I tell them I was cheering in happiness and lost my voice. It's always by Wednesday that it starts to go and by Friday it's almost gone,Saturday completely gone. I rest on Sunday. Normally that's enough to get me back to Monday but not always.

Been surffering like this almost 7 years. But I'm ok. 🤗
Do you mind if I ask you what condition you have? I actually had to quit a job because I had to talk a lot and by the end of the week I would lose my voice. The Dr said I had developed polyps on my voice box...but I swear my voice hasn't been the same since.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-19-2016, 01:14 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
Do you mind if I ask you what condition you have? I actually had to quit a job because I had to talk a lot and by the end of the week I would lose my voice. The Dr said I had developed polyps on my voice box...but I swear my voice hasn't been the same since.
I have a very large tumor on my thyroid and over the years it has grown so large that it is pushing on my vocal cords. The doctor told me that unless it starts to affect my health they won't remove it. At this point it only affects my voice and I don't care to have surgery just to have a better sounding voice. it does not hurt at all.

it was once classified as a goiter and has grown to a slowly growing benign tumor. Sadly you can see it in my throat area protruding out. BUT if if Never told you most people don't really take note of it.

mostly doctors, dentist or chiropractors will see it and ask what is that.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-19-2016, 07:49 PM
spud912's Avatar
spud912 spud912 is offline
Trix are for kids
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I have a very large tumor on my thyroid and over the years it has grown so large that it is pushing on my vocal cords. The doctor told me that unless it starts to affect my health they won't remove it. At this point it only affects my voice and I don't care to have surgery just to have a better sounding voice. it does not hurt at all.

it was once classified as a goiter and has grown to a slowly growing benign tumor. Sadly you can see it in my throat area protruding out. BUT if if Never told you most people don't really take note of it.

mostly doctors, dentist or chiropractors will see it and ask what is that.
Oh that is awful! I have hypothyroidism and my thyroid does get a little swollen when it's completely out of wack, among several other minor autoimmune conditions that flare up at the same time. I actually was thinking that was maybe the cause of this since I wasn't having a ton of other symptoms except for the first 2 days.

Ugh, I can't imagine having a lost voice like this every week though. I feel for you !
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-19-2016, 07:55 PM
spud912's Avatar
spud912 spud912 is offline
Trix are for kids
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

So my day went fine.....my low-tone voice was doing well enough to the point where I could actually talk on the phone and communicate to some extent .

The biggest problem is reading. I read a ton everyday to the kids and also at night to my own children. I tried to today since my voice was doing slightly better and lo-and-behold I lost my voice again in the process . I couldn't even finish half of a quick book for the daycare kiddos or 1 page of Charlotte's Web with my daughters! I would say that is the most frustrating thing because what am I to do . . . not read to them for awhile? My daughter's school requires 10-20 minutes of reading a night. I am ready to be done!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Oh my gosh....I had this happen for years. Doesn't happen any more. I would go close to a month with problems. One year I was teaching kindergarten and couldn't talk for a few weeks...well at least barely talk! It was difficult. Hope you're doing better!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-25-2016, 02:38 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 8,558
Default

Spud, has your voice returned now? It's frustrating. Then, like you did, it starts to return so you use it and poof...gone again. Hope you got to rest it and you feel lots better!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have you ever lost kids from not having enough other kids DaisyMamma Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 09-08-2014 07:49 AM
Lost 5 DCK today.....are you kidding me?! Christina72684 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 08-24-2014 06:08 PM
Should I Tell a Parent it's Not Working Out? ritashomedaycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 11-10-2009 06:37 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:47 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming