Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Parents and Guardians Forum

Parents and Guardians Forum Parents and Guardians should post and answer questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-29-2016, 06:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Making A Better Offer for My Daycare Provider

Hello, Would it work to offer my Daycare Provider more money in order to continue having us as clients? She termed my family last week because she said our parenting styles don't match, she didn't like my 4 y.o. son wearing fingernail polish (I let him put it on last week because his sister wanted some on), and she doesn't like that I let my son speak rudely to me.

She kind of has a hoity-toity mentality, and I guess I'm a bit of a backpack, crunchy granola type of mom, but I have a track record of paying on time, picking up and dropping off on time. I also paid her for 3 spots instead of just 2 so that life would be easier (she has fibromyalgia). I think I annoyed her recently as I was debating whether to let my son go on to Kindergarten or keep him back for Pre-K (he has a late August birthday) and I didn't get my contract to her in time (however, she did not specify a date she needed them back). She evidently replaced us with a newborn last week.

Thing is, there is precious little for daycare around where I live, and my husband has now expressed he is adamant that our son attend Pre-K, so we will definitely need daycare next year.

Will daycare providers take us back if we offered more money? I don't think we are that bad to deal with, but I know she was annoyed with me over the Kindergarten/Pre-K issue. Is it worth it to grovel? I will grovel with her for my kids...I don't want my son to start Pre-K and a new daycare and learn new expectations in two different settings. This lady could gouge me for my whole paycheck, that is how emotionally troubling this situation is. Please help me make her an offer she can't refuse.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Mike's Avatar
Mike Mike is online now
starting daycare someday
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,227
Default

Parenting styles not matching doesn't have anything to do with money, but you can always try. She may be more willing to work around it if it's worth it to her. If she already filled the space though, she won't be able to take him back anyway.

It all depends on whether or not she wants your son back and the 2 of you can work something out. Only way to know is to ask.
__________________
Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
They are also our future.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-30-2016, 04:01 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 8,725
Default

While I agree it never hurts to ask, sometimes issues are not solved with money. If she's already termed and enrolled a new child, I think I'd cut ties and move forward. Is she in the habit of terming families because I know for me, terming is the absolute final step, something I've tried to fix but can't, and no amount of money(well everybody does have their price Lol)would make me rethink keeping that particular child. Maybe she's afraid of losing him anyways since you've mentioned prek, and is simply taking steps to protect her own income. From her POV, that's smart. From your side, it sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-30-2016, 05:12 AM
permanentvacation's Avatar
permanentvacation permanentvacation is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,456
Default

If you think she's 'hoity-toity', and she has already expressed that she doesn't agree with some things you do as a parent, then you have no business trying to force your way into her daycare. Her daycare is not a good fit for your family. If, for some reason, she did take you back, there would always be issues and the child will suffer because of it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-30-2016, 05:50 AM
sleepinghart's Avatar
sleepinghart sleepinghart is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 342
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello, Would it work to offer my Daycare Provider more money in order to continue having us as clients? She termed my family last week because she said our parenting styles don't match, she didn't like my 4 y.o. son wearing fingernail polish (I let him put it on last week because his sister wanted some on), and she doesn't like that I let my son speak rudely to me.

She kind of has a hoity-toity mentality, and I guess I'm a bit of a backpack, crunchy granola type of mom, but I have a track record of paying on time, picking up and dropping off on time. I also paid her for 3 spots instead of just 2 so that life would be easier (she has fibromyalgia). I think I annoyed her recently as I was debating whether to let my son go on to Kindergarten or keep him back for Pre-K (he has a late August birthday) and I didn't get my contract to her in time (however, she did not specify a date she needed them back). She evidently replaced us with a newborn last week.

Thing is, there is precious little for daycare around where I live, and my husband has now expressed he is adamant that our son attend Pre-K, so we will definitely need daycare next year.

Will daycare providers take us back if we offered more money? I don't think we are that bad to deal with, but I know she was annoyed with me over the Kindergarten/Pre-K issue. Is it worth it to grovel? I will grovel with her for my kids...I don't want my son to start Pre-K and a new daycare and learn new expectations in two different settings. This lady could gouge me for my whole paycheck, that is how emotionally troubling this situation is. Please help me make her an offer she can't refuse.
(^^bolded^^ by me)
~I highly doubt it seeing as that you were already paying her for 3 spots when you apparently only needed two, it's not likely that offering even more money will do the trick. Honestly, even as hard as it is, I'd just cut ties and move on. Be diligent and you will find someone else to provide care for your children . ...Best of luck!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-30-2016, 06:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reply

I had let her know we wanted to drop payments down to only two kids. Is there nothing I can say? I would have thought if my kids were that terrible under her care she would have told me long ago. I would love dropping payments down to two kids, but would rather stay as her client, so I wanted to at least offer to pay for 3 spots and maybe more. A kind of a raise. I know she is far from filled up. In my state daycare providers can take 10 kids, and she has told me with her fibromyalgia she won't take that many.

To sweeten this deal, my kid will be in Pre-K at least 3 mornings per week and could be as many as 5 mornings if picked to be a "peer model."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-30-2016, 06:26 AM
sleepinghart's Avatar
sleepinghart sleepinghart is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 342
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I had let her know we wanted to drop payments down to only two kids. Is there nothing I can say? I would have thought if my kids were that terrible under her care she would have told me long ago. I would love dropping payments down to two kids, but would rather stay as her client, so I wanted to at least offer to pay for 3 spots and maybe more. A kind of a raise. I know she is far from filled up. In my state daycare providers can take 10 kids, and she has told me with her fibromyalgia she won't take that many.

To sweeten this deal, my kid will be in Pre-K at least 3 mornings per week and could be as many as 5 mornings if picked to be a "peer model."
(^^bolded^^ by me)
~Well, I don't think so, but I guess it really depends. Do you think that had anything to do with why she termed you...you dropping the payments down to 2; I know she claimed it was for "difference of parenting style", but could the $$ thing have been a last straw)? How long after you told her you wanted to drop to paying for just 2 spots did she term? The whole paying for 3 spots while only using two thing is kinda strange to me- How did this arrangement come about if you don't mind my asking? I mean, I'm sorta surprised she accepted it...I'm sorta surprised you agreed to pay it, but I guess that's because quality child care is hard to find in your area as you said earlier.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-30-2016, 06:36 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

I am thinking that the line of "parenting styles don't match" was a way of being nicer than what she really was having issues with. Do your children have any behavior issues? Were you breaking policies in some way? Have you asked for "special" treatment such as no naps or making special foods for your children? If I used that as a reason to term, it is likely I wouldn't take you back for all the money in the world. I could also be as a PP stated that you not being sure about kindy and such she is trying to protect her income. We have to do that sometimes, even though it sucks for both parties really. Starting a new family is never easy, but we have to pay our bills also.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-30-2016, 06:56 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reply

I did ask for naps to be shortened back in March. We were having difficulty getting my kids to sleep before 9:30 p.m. and it was getting a bit draining. Another "issue" that came up was one day a couple of months ago my son had a tantrum of some kind. She had him cover his mouth with his hand and apparently he didn't so she put her hand on his hand and covered his mouth. He wound up with a big scratch and I told her I didn't think it was appropriate to handle things like that.

The reason I pay for 3 spots is because she is so conveniently located to my house; she complained of fibromyalgia when I first met her, and seemed reluctant to take us. She wanted to know how I found out about her, and of course she comes up when I type daycare and my town's name into google.

I can see she doesn't need us; her husband has a very good job and I think she still does the daycare to get her college age children extra stuff. I just wanted to know if there is anything else I could put together to offer her to keep us on from a daycare provider's perspective. Look I realize that job sucks and there is no way to ever pay her what I would really like to pay her for everything she has to do.

I'll tell her to keep the naps however long she can as well. We can deal with it another year. The daycare carousel is wearing me down, but it's only one more year. Maybe I should offer to pay 2 additional spots? It will be the pits but it's only one more year.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-30-2016, 07:32 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I did ask for naps to be shortened back in March. We were having difficulty getting my kids to sleep before 9:30 p.m. and it was getting a bit draining. Another "issue" that came up was one day a couple of months ago my son had a tantrum of some kind. She had him cover his mouth with his hand and apparently he didn't so she put her hand on his hand and covered his mouth. He wound up with a big scratch and I told her I didn't think it was appropriate to handle things like that.

The reason I pay for 3 spots is because she is so conveniently located to my house; she complained of fibromyalgia when I first met her, and seemed reluctant to take us. She wanted to know how I found out about her, and of course she comes up when I type daycare and my town's name into google.

I can see she doesn't need us; her husband has a very good job and I think she still does the daycare to get her college age children extra stuff. I just wanted to know if there is anything else I could put together to offer her to keep us on from a daycare provider's perspective. Look I realize that job sucks and there is no way to ever pay her what I would really like to pay her for everything she has to do.

I'll tell her to keep the naps however long she can as well. We can deal with it another year. The daycare carousel is wearing me down, but it's only one more year. Maybe I should offer to pay 2 additional spots? It will be the pits but it's only one more year.
I don't know why you would want to stay with her if she in fact put her hand over your child's mouth. It is dangerous and most likely a violation of licensing rules. I can almost promise you it is a violation. If I had a provider that did that, I would have left that day. Why in the heck are you so he** bent on staying with a provider that would mistreat your child and doesn't want your children in care? When you say the "daycare carousel", I have to ask have you been terminated from other providers?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-30-2016, 07:35 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,463
Default

Why would you want your child cared for by someone who really doesn't want to provide care (for whatever reason)?

As a parent, I would be heartbroken to know my child was "supervised" only for the money.

I understand care is hard to come by in your area but Id search for a nanny or some other arrangement before offering to pay someone more $ when its clear the provider doesnt want to continue.

That's just a recipe for disaster if you ask me.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-30-2016, 07:36 AM
spedmommy4's Avatar
spedmommy4 spedmommy4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Northern Oregon
Posts: 933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I did ask for naps to be shortened back in March. We were having difficulty getting my kids to sleep before 9:30 p.m. and it was getting a bit draining. Another "issue" that came up was one day a couple of months ago my son had a tantrum of some kind. She had him cover his mouth with his hand and apparently he didn't so she put her hand on his hand and covered his mouth. He wound up with a big scratch and I told her I didn't think it was appropriate to handle things like that.

The reason I pay for 3 spots is because she is so conveniently located to my house; she complained of fibromyalgia when I first met her, and seemed reluctant to take us. She wanted to know how I found out about her, and of course she comes up when I type daycare and my town's name into google.

I can see she doesn't need us; her husband has a very good job and I think she still does the daycare to get her college age children extra stuff. I just wanted to know if there is anything else I could put together to offer her to keep us on from a daycare provider's perspective. Look I realize that job sucks and there is no way to ever pay her what I would really like to pay her for everything she has to do.

I'll tell her to keep the naps however long she can as well. We can deal with it another year. The daycare carousel is wearing me down, but it's only one more year. Maybe I should offer to pay 2 additional spots? It will be the pits but it's only one more year.
If she did hold his hand over his mouth, it wasn't appropriate. As a parent of four, I would have moved on over that. Children have tantrums. You acknowledge their feeling and give them a space away from the group (but within sight) to calm down. Tantrums are not a big deal from a caregiving perspective, UNLESS the child has tantrums everyday.

I would also have an issue with her charging for three slots. I am a childcare provider and can't imagine doing this to any of my families. I know you are worried about your little ones but young children are very adaptable. It's likely that they will adjust within a few short weeks and be even happier with their new provider. And in the long run, you may be happier too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-30-2016, 07:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reply

We've only had one other provider, but the commute to her house was draining so when I found this current lady who termed me I was overjoyed and evidently overzealous in pursuing my children positions in her care. I quit on the previous lady who had the long commute.

I should just quit my job and stay home next year. This has been a roller coaster for me. I know my son is active and my "mommy guilt" probably does make me too lax of a parent. But GD. I paid her last year almost what I would have paid to put my kids in a montessori preschool (again, I couldn't feasibly do that given the commute from where I live). Could she have just let me know, Hey you are getting annoying and I need to lock in some clients. You have til the end of the week to decide what you to do.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
We've only had one other provider, but the commute to her house was draining so when I found this current lady who termed me I was overjoyed and evidently overzealous in pursuing my children positions in her care. I quit on the previous lady who had the long commute.

I should just quit my job and stay home next year. This has been a roller coaster for me. I know my son is active and my "mommy guilt" probably does make me too lax of a parent. But GD. I paid her last year almost what I would have paid to put my kids in a montessori preschool (again, I couldn't feasibly do that given the commute from where I live). Could she have just let me know, Hey you are getting annoying and I need to lock in some clients. You have til the end of the week to decide what you to do.
But you can't get mad about what you paid her, the way I read your post, you OFFERED to pay her more. You can't hardly get upset after doing something you choose to do. Granted, I probably wouldn't have taken the over payment myself, but different strokes.... You also say that she abused your child (because that is what licensing would call it in most states), yet you want to stay with her? Why would you even consider keeping your child in a dangerous place? Maybe if the commute to daycare and such is so bad you could consider moving. Much of what you have issue with are things you have full control over. Yes, moving is extreme and a huge job, I get that. But so is parenting.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-30-2016, 08:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reply

But if we go somewhere else something something worse could happen. This lady i sort of know what im getting into. Recently I read about a daycare center worker who was spraying the children in their faces to cool them off in the summer, putting them in dark bathrooms for timeout, pushing dolls that scared them in their faces. Just really mean stuff. I don't see my current provider doing that. I'm sure she's drained after 20 years of it.

If I send to Kindergarten that takes a lot of the worries away, but my husband will probably leave me, as he is convinced Kindergarten will ruin our son's enthusiasm for learning permanently. Now that I'm typing all this out i am seeing what i must do.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-30-2016, 08:35 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
But if we go somewhere else something something worse could happen. This lady i sort of know what im getting into. Recently I read about a daycare center worker who was spraying the children in their faces to cool them off in the summer, putting them in dark bathrooms for timeout, pushing dolls that scared them in their faces. Just really mean stuff. I don't see my current provider doing that. I'm sure she's drained after 20 years of it.

If I send to Kindergarten that takes a lot of the worries away, but my husband will probably leave me, as he is convinced Kindergarten will ruin our son's enthusiasm for learning permanently. Now that I'm typing all this out i am seeing what i must do.
So you would rather keep your child in a place they are being mistreated than risk your husband leaving you?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Rockgirl's Avatar
Rockgirl Rockgirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,745
Default

Your husband would leave you if you enrolled your child in kindergarten?

The whole "if I offer enough money, I can get what I want" really bothers me. If your provider gave you a term notice, she really does want you to move on. Sorry to be so blunt, but most of us providers don't term without good reason.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-30-2016, 08:46 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Reply

I'm going to find someone else. I think this lady was right, we are not a good fit. She has a tot whose older sister goes to another daycare, and I have always wondered why. Now it's clear. I think my provider enjoys the babies a bit more than the active preschool age set (who wouldn't).

Question: How do nannies on care.com get health insurance? I looked into that and for a personal plan it was going to cost about $200 per month, on top of the salary. Do people who hire nannies generally pay that?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-30-2016, 08:49 AM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm going to find someone else. I think this lady was right, we are not a good fit. She has a tot whose older sister goes to another daycare, and I have always wondered why. Now it's clear. I think my provider enjoys the babies a bit more than the active preschool age set (who wouldn't).

Question: How do nannies on care.com get health insurance? I looked into that and for a personal plan it was going to cost about $200 per month, on top of the salary. Do people who hire nannies generally pay that?
The package you offer the nanny is up to you. They may have it through their husband, my DH and I get ours through the exchange. If you get a nanny though, you will have to pay all employment taxes, unemployment insurance, Social Security and Medicaid in each pay period just as your employer does for you. In home child care providers are self employed, so we deal with all that. If you hire a nanny, you are an employer and must follow the same laws any employer has to pay. I am not sure if you would have to pay workers comp on them or not.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-31-2016, 09:29 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,126
Default

If I termed a family, there was a valid reason. She may not have the energy to keep up with your son. She may find you too lax (I have parents who are and it is NOT a good fit. I do not like being told to shut up by a 3yo) I am very old school. I expect respect and manners and that is how I model my behavior to the children.

My advice? Find another child care arrangement.

She was probably expecting you to enroll older child in kindergarten, and keep the younger child (I am assuming 2 here because you pay for three spaces when you need 2) Now that you aren't putting him in K, she doesn't want to do it another year.

In addition- everyone has an age group that they enjoy and work well with. Mine is 2-4. I have provider friends who do 0-2 only and 5+ only.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-31-2016, 11:23 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
If I termed a family, there was a valid reason. She may not have the energy to keep up with your son. She may find you too lax (I have parents who are and it is NOT a good fit. I do not like being told to shut up by a 3yo) I am very old school. I expect respect and manners and that is how I model my behavior to the children.

My advice? Find another child care arrangement.

She was probably expecting you to enroll older child in kindergarten, and keep the younger child (I am assuming 2 here because you pay for three spaces when you need 2) Now that you aren't putting him in K, she doesn't want to do it another year.

In addition- everyone has an age group that they enjoy and work well with. Mine is 2-4. I have provider friends who do 0-2 only and 5+ only.
All of this.

Although, I have to say that I find it interesting that you parent loosely yet were okay enough with her hand being placed over your son's mouth (hard enough that it stretched him, no less) that you returned? I am in no way lax in my parenting and if anyone did that to my daughter I would never return. I'm horrified.

Hope you're able to find a place that's a better fit. It sounds like your oldest is bored and needs an environment better suited for an older child anyways, so I think it will greatly benefit him.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-31-2016, 03:01 PM
grandmom's Avatar
grandmom grandmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 727
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
Your husband would leave you if you enrolled your child in kindergarten?

The whole "if I offer enough money, I can get what I want" really bothers me. If your provider gave you a term notice, she really does want you to move on. Sorry to be so blunt, but most of us providers don't term without good reason.
Exactly. Tell her about this site. We'd like to hear her side.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-31-2016, 07:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockgirl View Post
Your husband would leave you if you enrolled your child in kindergarten?

The whole "if I offer enough money, I can get what I want" really bothers me. If your provider gave you a term notice, she really does want you to move on. Sorry to be so blunt, but most of us providers don't term without good reason.
Yes OP what kind of arrangement do you think this is?

You've been termed, time to move on.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-31-2016, 08:03 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,553
Default

As a teacher I *wish* I could term a family..... it is one aspect I look forward to when I am done with my teaching contract this year and open my own program.

No amount of money would sway me if I felt it had risen to the level that I needed to formally term a family.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-31-2016, 09:46 PM
Nurse Jackie's Avatar
Nurse Jackie Nurse Jackie is offline
new provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 261
Default

If I were u I'd just move on. I think as parents we tend to over think situations which ends up stressing us out for no reason. Just because your family wasn't a good fit for your current daycare provider doesn't mean you will not find a provider that will meet your family needs. Atleast your son has time to adjust to a new program before the new school year begins. Learn from whatever mistakes you made and move on. What ever provider you chose make sure you read over their policies and are willing to abide by them. You will be fine. Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-01-2016, 05:45 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You mentioned you let your child speak rudely to you. You've taught your child how to speak to adults like this. She's probably tired of it.

"Not a good fit " is code for being done with the parents too. Most of us can tolerate most children and their behavior, it's the adults that burn me out!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-02-2016, 11:05 AM
renodeb's Avatar
renodeb renodeb is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reno, Nv
Posts: 837
Default

To be 100% honest, I would just let it go. It sounds like she has moved on? I disagree with a lot of parent styles but I care for these kids. Money is not always the answer.
Deb
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-02-2016, 09:53 PM
MunchkinWrangler's Avatar
MunchkinWrangler MunchkinWrangler is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 777
Default

As a provider, after a term, I would be truly offended by an offer of more money just to keep a family on. It shows to me that they don't respect me or my decisions. I'm sorry you had some bad experiences with this one. As a mother, I would never let it fly for someone showing their frustrations at my child in that manner, much less would I do that to my charges!

I have always been against throwing money at a problem so it goes my way. That's not the way the world works!

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-03-2016, 09:51 AM
PJD's Avatar
PJD PJD is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3
Default Rude Child

You stated that you allow your child to speak rudely to you - I suspect that there is a great deal more to it and this is what she is reacting to. She might not want to parent your child- but certainly has every right not to be around a child who speaks rudely to her.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-15-2016, 03:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Update

Hello, I wanted to share the rest of the story, as they say.

I took the high road by letting my former daycare provider know that we appreciated her efforts this year and liked being her clients, and should her circumstances ever change to let us know as we would love to return. I didn't bring up the fact of her mistreating my son, nor did I share how backwards her views are (when she made the comment about my son wearing nail polish she had indicated it was because of what's "been in the news," being too controversial, as if any of that matters to little kids!). Her transphobia is a bit dated, and the stick up her rear is not something we want our kids influenced by.

I found new arrangements with a lady who actually sounded excited to have my kids in her care! Who actually didn't seem to need to be coaxed with more pay to take us!! Who I think is actually a nice person, and not someone who only wants the "easy" kids. On top of that, her house is actually slightly closer to mine and is on my drive home!!! At any rate, this will be our last year of this carousel and I'm thrilled!!!!

I appreciate daycare providers everywhere and I don't regret paying extra this past year. My kids have been attending a summer camp this month and the teacher told me, "You have some great kids." It meant so much I almost cried. My parenting can't be that bad if a teacher is telling me that.

Looking back, I think that my former daycare provider was a depressed person. It was the first thing that entered my mind when I first met her, and in hindsight I can see I was spot on in that assessment.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello, I wanted to share the rest of the story, as they say.

I took the high road by letting my former daycare provider know that we appreciated her efforts this year and liked being her clients, and should her circumstances ever change to let us know as we would love to return. I didn't bring up the fact of her mistreating my son, nor did I share how backwards her views are (when she made the comment about my son wearing nail polish she had indicated it was because of what's "been in the news," being too controversial, as if any of that matters to little kids!). Her transphobia is a bit dated, and the stick up her rear is not something we want our kids influenced by.

I found new arrangements with a lady who actually sounded excited to have my kids in her care! Who actually didn't seem to need to be coaxed with more pay to take us!! Who I think is actually a nice person, and not someone who only wants the "easy" kids. On top of that, her house is actually slightly closer to mine and is on my drive home!!! At any rate, this will be our last year of this carousel and I'm thrilled!!!!

I appreciate daycare providers everywhere and I don't regret paying extra this past year. My kids have been attending a summer camp this month and the teacher told me, "You have some great kids." It meant so much I almost cried. My parenting can't be that bad if a teacher is telling me that.

Looking back, I think that my former daycare provider was a depressed person. It was the first thing that entered my mind when I first met her, and in hindsight I can see I was spot on in that assessment.
I wouldn't say you took the high road. You did what you needed to do, she termed you and you found a new provider. Hopefully the new provider is a better fit for your family. As far as the depression, of course she was. She has fibromyalgia. My doctors told me there was no way for me to have that and not have depression, they are linked. You can't really go through bouts of severe pain and not feel some depression. As far as the "carousel" you are on, I find it a bit offensive you keep referring to it as that. Many of us work our backsides off to provide quality, loving care to our families. We are not part of a circus! And why would you have been looking to pay the person you are speaking so badly of more to keep your kids on?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-15-2016, 04:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The high road is saying thank you with a smile on your face and not making snide remarks about other people's parenting, and directing it at a defensless little kid. That is what I did, and that is what is meant by saying the high road. There is certainly more I could have brought up about her own parenting (this is a small town), but I'll not bother. I'll keep taking the high road
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
I wouldn't say you took the high road. You did what you needed to do, she termed you and you found a new provider. Hopefully the new provider is a better fit for your family. As far as the depression, of course she was. She has fibromyalgia. My doctors told me there was no way for me to have that and not have depression, they are linked. You can't really go through bouts of severe pain and not feel some depression. As far as the "carousel" you are on, I find it a bit offensive you keep referring to it as that. Many of us work our backsides off to provide quality, loving care to our families. We are not part of a circus! And why would you have been looking to pay the person you are speaking so badly of more to keep your kids on?
I took her comment about the carousel to be in reference to what the OP has just gone through... the thread is about her situation. I didn't take it as a dig at child care provider/us

Her ex-provider doesn't really fall into the category of "working her backside off to provide quality care"; she put her hand over the child's mouth.

In regards to the provider having fibromyalgia/depression, that's really not the parent's problem. No more than the personal lives of our clients are our concern.

Given everything OP has shared thus far, I think she took the high road. Could the whole thing have been handled better from the beginning by both parties? Probably but should've, could've, would've doesn't help now.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-16-2016, 02:29 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 8,725
Default

Glad it worked out for you OP!
There are always 2 sides to a situation. I'll bet with so many of us being providers and moms, we can see it from both angles.
I empathize with dcms who love their kids with all their heart, have to leave them with someone they don't know all that well(usually) and place all their trust with that someone to care for them as they would want them cared for.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-16-2016, 05:37 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I don't mean to present a one sided view of her -- I liked many aspects of her program and she had worked hard to build up an effective daycare with a really nice, safe, outdoor play area, lots of toys, etc. Like I say, in spite of the incident with my son's mouth we were happy with her. She worked extremely well with my daughter, but my daughter is and always has been "easy."

The breakdown for us was the sudden, Our parenting styles don't match, you let your son wear nail polish, I don't want you back. It's like, uhh, okay lady. We are neighbors. We see each other on the highway driving to our houses from time to time. How diff can we really be? I know she was annoyed with me about wavering on the Kindergarten issue.

Anyhow, the point of this post is I certainly acknowledge the positive aspects of her program and by no means is it all just black and white. Some of the drawbacks that surfaced over the preceding month were not deal breakers for me, but evidently were for her - - personally I can (and do every day at my own job) work with anyone. I always feel I can solve most any problem with most people. I do recognize and am aware that running a business out of your home has risks and she needs to take steps to minimize what she perceives as a risk. I get that. I admit I'm hurt that she dropped us suddenly, it's not how I treat people, but I get it.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-16-2016, 07:51 AM
sleepinghart's Avatar
sleepinghart sleepinghart is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 342
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello, I wanted to share the rest of the story, as they say.

I took the high road by letting my former daycare provider know that we appreciated her efforts this year and liked being her clients, and should her circumstances ever change to let us know as we would love to return. I didn't bring up the fact of her mistreating my son, nor did I share how backwards her views are (when she made the comment about my son wearing nail polish she had indicated it was because of what's "been in the news," being too controversial, as if any of that matters to little kids!). Her transphobia is a bit dated, and the stick up her rear is not something we want our kids influenced by.

I found new arrangements with a lady who actually sounded excited to have my kids in her care! Who actually didn't seem to need to be coaxed with more pay to take us!! Who I think is actually a nice person, and not someone who only wants the "easy" kids. On top of that, her house is actually slightly closer to mine and is on my drive home!!! At any rate, this will be our last year of this carousel and I'm thrilled!!!!

I appreciate daycare providers everywhere and I don't regret paying extra this past year. My kids have been attending a summer camp this month and the teacher told me, "You have some great kids." It meant so much I almost cried. My parenting can't be that bad if a teacher is telling me that.

Looking back, I think that my former daycare provider was a depressed person. It was the first thing that entered my mind when I first met her, and in hindsight I can see I was spot on in that assessment.
(OP quote)"I didn't bring up the fact of her mistreating my son, nor did I share how backwards her views are..."(end quote)

~I imagine not. ^^After all, that would've been kinda hard to do^^ while at the same time practically begging her to take you back.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-16-2016, 08:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

As I say, I only said that to take the high road and to say something that sounded nice. We're she to offer, I would find a nice way to politely decline. I had to deal with her (and entrust my children with her) for another 3 weeks after she dropped us as I had already paid her, and clearly we weren't that bad for her to have to deal with that she needed to refund my money and drop us immediately.

No, I definitely said that to find something nice to end things on; I try hard not to burn bridges.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bad fit, disrespectful

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confused and disappointed michael555 Parents and Guardians Forum 4 07-27-2015 07:35 AM
Leaving a Care Provider I Love happymom Parents and Guardians Forum 10 06-12-2015 11:36 AM
Daycare Provider, Pre-K-3rd Grade Teacher or Nurse? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 09-04-2014 02:21 PM
Newbie ~ Soon-to-be Daycare Provider Dilley Beans New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! 7 07-24-2014 07:27 AM
Daycare Family Trying To Re-Collect Money Owed To A Provider! Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 46 02-22-2011 10:30 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:26 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming