Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Holidays- Do You Close If Attendance Is Down?

I'm curious to see what others do:

4th of July is coming up and I'm getting notices trickling in of who will be gone on vacation. Right now 1/2 of my families will be gone the Thursday and Friday before the holiday weekend and I'm guessing at least one or two more will at least take off Friday.

Do you close if your attendance is down to one or two kids or stay open?

I usually have between 10-12 kids on an average day, so the thought of entertaining just 1 or 2 is.... not my ideal day.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post
I'm curious to see what others do:

4th of July is coming up and I'm getting notices trickling in of who will be gone on vacation. Right now 1/2 of my families will be gone the Thursday and Friday before the holiday weekend and I'm guessing at least one or two more will at least take off Friday.

Do you close if your attendance is down to one or two kids or stay open?

I usually have between 10-12 kids on an average day, so the thought of entertaining just 1 or 2 is.... not my ideal day.
I take my 2 week long vacations over Christmas and July 4th so Im never open during a holiday to have that issue.

What I would do in your shoes is state that services will be available IF attendance reaches X amount of kids. If you only have X # of kids on the schedule it's not worth being open.

I also get paid the same weekly rates 52 weeks a year so even if I only had one child scheduled it wouldn't be a hit to my paycheck so I'd decide based on that particular situation.
Some families I know have constant back up available where others don't have a back up so readily available.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:08 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would be open but I might go to the zoo or to a splash pad. I do t normally transport but if I had low enough numbers it is a fun treat
Old 06-17-2016, 10:24 AM
starting daycare some day

I would also use it as an opportunity to do something fun that is harder to do with more kids.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I don't usually close, but I usually do a huge "spring" cleaning during those days.

This week I have only had one kid... the whole week. Open to close. 11.5 hours per day. The one kid who really dislikes playing alone and wants a running narrative of what is coming next, why, how and with who. Yeah, that kid....

I used it as an opportunity to teach some independence by continuing to do my cleaning and paperwork routine between circle times. Made the quiet time part of her curriculum. Lack of stimulation as the stimulant.

Kiddo is becoming quite the creative artist and builder this week. This lull has done a world of good for her.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

I don't mind a random day here or there with low numbers, but I've found I don't care for it when it's surrounding a holiday. Just a personal preference. So years ago I instituted a 3 *family* minimum. Not three kids, or you'll get three from one family and they'll be upset and annoyed that they are the only ones in care (ask me how I know )
Of course now I just take the day off with pay.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would stay open all days that were not listed as holidays for consistency. Maybe if you notice attendance is really low add that as a holiday for the following year.

If you have only a couple children on a holiday you have scheduled to be open maybe go on a special outing or something...
Old 06-17-2016, 10:48 AM
New Daycare.com Member

I take off all holidays and vacations at the beginning of the year. I give myself wiggle room and I notify parents that I will let them know in advance (3 weeks) if I'll be closing. I give myself wiggle room for summer

Otherwise, no I don't close if it's a light day. When I'm open, I'm open. But I also have a small group.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Daycare.com Member

Great ideas. Thanks for the input!
Old 06-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'm already closed for July 4, but if there's another day I was going to be low in numbers I wouldn't close. But I would ask parents what their plans are and mention that their child will be the only one here.

Tags
attendance, holidays - off, low numbers