Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>T/S% and Time Off
Max 10:36 AM 10-25-2016
When you calculate your time % for the year, do you subtract the hours in which you're closed? Vacation, holidays, sick, etc. ?

Does paid/unpaid time off make a difference?

All the examples I've seen haven't taken time off into account, but they also don't specifically say not to.
Reply
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 10-25-2016
Originally Posted by Max:
When you calculate your time % for the year, do you subtract the hours in which you're closed? Vacation, holidays, sick, etc. ?

Does paid/unpaid time off make a difference?

All the examples I've seen haven't taken time off into account, but they also don't specifically say not to.
Tom's articles about T/S%'s

http://tomcopelandblog.com/?s=T%2FS+&x=10&y=17
Reply
Max 11:07 AM 10-25-2016
"Donít count the hours of operation as reflected in your contract; instead keep records of the actual hours children are present."

Thanks, I read the articles from Tom but I was overthinking it too much.. Based on ^, time off should NOT be counted as part of our time percentage.
Reply
TomCopeland 09:29 AM 10-26-2016
Originally Posted by Max:
"Donít count the hours of operation as reflected in your contract; instead keep records of the actual hours children are present."

Thanks, I read the articles from Tom but I was overthinking it too much.. Based on ^, time off should NOT be counted as part of our time percentage.
Use 8,760 hours for the total number of hours in the year. Don't reduce these hours for taking a vacation, holiday, etc. If you are doing some business activities on the holiday you can count these as work hours. Otherwise, you time-space % will be lower each time you take a day off.
Reply
Max 08:50 PM 10-26-2016
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
Use 8,760 hours for the total number of hours in the year. Don't reduce these hours for taking a vacation, holiday, etc. If you are doing some business activities on the holiday you can count these as work hours. Otherwise, you time-space % will be lower each time you take a day off.
Thanks Tom!

So if I take 3 weeks of time off in a year, and don't do any business activities during that time off, do I still count that time?

To put in an example.. If I were to have daycare open M-F 7AM-5PM (10 hour days, 50 hour weeks) for 52 weeks a year, my daycare would be open 2600 hours in a year. In previous examples I've seen, DCP use this number (in addition to other time spent at home on their business) to calculate their T/S%.

But lets say my daycare is closed for 3 weeks due to holidays, vacation, etc. throughout the year. I understand I can count time spent at home doing business activities, but what if on my time off I'm not doing these things? Like if a provider goes to Hawaii for a week or stays at home and binges on Netflix.

I would think I would have to deduct 3 weeks of time off (150 hours) from the 2600 total hours, in order to get the total number of hours children are in my care. Then, add in the other time I spent doing DC business activities at home.

Sorry if that was confusing, I hope it made sense!
Reply
TomCopeland 09:56 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by Max:
Thanks Tom!

So if I take 3 weeks of time off in a year, and don't do any business activities during that time off, do I still count that time?

To put in an example.. If I were to have daycare open M-F 7AM-5PM (10 hour days, 50 hour weeks) for 52 weeks a year, my daycare would be open 2600 hours in a year. In previous examples I've seen, DCP use this number (in addition to other time spent at home on their business) to calculate their T/S%.

But lets say my daycare is closed for 3 weeks due to holidays, vacation, etc. throughout the year. I understand I can count time spent at home doing business activities, but what if on my time off I'm not doing these things? Like if a provider goes to Hawaii for a week or stays at home and binges on Netflix.

I would think I would have to deduct 3 weeks of time off (150 hours) from the 2600 total hours, in order to get the total number of hours children are in my care. Then, add in the other time I spent doing DC business activities at home.

Sorry if that was confusing, I hope it made sense!
Yes, if you took three weeks off and didn't do any business activities in your home you would reduce your 2,600 hours in your example by 150 hours.
Reply
Tags:time off, time percent, time space percentage
Reply Up