Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Never Ending Sickness
lovemykidstoo 06:58 AM 01-12-2017
Has anyone else had the worst year ever for sickness? I swear I've had a cold, nose issues, coughing since October. No wonder because my daycare kids keep spreading it back and forth. I have 1 gone today and out of the 4 that I have, 2 are snotting everywhere. I keep cleaning and opening windows in rooms 1 at a time to get fresh air in but it continues. It's driving me nuts. I swear I want to close and just bleach everything and air it all out. Not to mention the kids I have are huge oral fixation kids, every single thing goes into their mouths and they're under 2, so it's hard to stop them. It seems like Lysol used to make a room fogger type of thing that would kill airborne viruses. What do you guys do and does anyone know about that product?
Cat Herder 07:04 AM 01-12-2017
https://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/Disinfect...infection.html

Good info above.

The FCCERS mandatory soft seating, stuffed animals, blankies from home and taped down rugs, etc., policies are creating the problem. It makes best practice routine BSI/Disinfection all but impossible.
lovemykidstoo 07:10 AM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
https://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/Disinfect...infection.html

Good info above.

The FCCERS mandatory soft seating, stuffed animals, blankies from home and taped down rugs, etc., policies are creating the problem. It makes best practice routine BSI/Disinfection all but impossible.
What is this about?
Cat Herder 07:16 AM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
What is this about?
It is what our ratings are based on.

http://ers.fpg.unc.edu/node/111

"Child sized furniture and equipment. Soft furniture, carpet, stuffed animals. Minimum is 10 items OR 2 per child (which ever is most) "

These have to be present at all times. The only way to keep them clean and avoid transmission is to not allow them to share and wash daily. When we were able to have only submersible toys, soft vinyl seating and rotate rugs daily for cleaning we had much lower rates of illness transmission, absenteeism and compliance to cleaning routine.
lovemykidstoo 07:23 AM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It is what our ratings are based on.

http://ers.fpg.unc.edu/node/111

"Child sized furniture and equipment. Soft furniture, carpet, stuffed animals. Minimum is 10 items OR 2 per child (which ever is most) "

These have to be present at all times. The only way to keep them clean and avoid transmission is to not allow them to share and wash daily. When we were able to have only submersible toys, soft vinyl seating and rotate rugs daily for cleaning we had much lower rates of illness transmission, absenteeism and compliance to cleaning routine.
Oh geez. That's certainly not thinking it through on their part is it? That's why I don't allow stuffed animals and blankets to come from home because it brings even more germs.
Cat Herder 07:46 AM 01-12-2017
Oh geez. That's certainly not thinking it through on their part is it? That's why I don't allow stuffed animals and blankets to come from home because it brings even more germs.
In order to get those points, I take them upon arrival and drop them into the washer enroute to the sink for DCK's "upon arrival" handwashing. I use the "quick wash/high heat" setting. I toss them into the dryer enroute to the DCK "after breakfast" handwashing round. I take them out enroute to the DCK "after using art supplies" handwashing round. They are ready to join their owners by morning circle rug time.

At the beginning of circle time I hand out/assist with individual tubes of hand lotion for the kids now bleeding hands. Which brings to mind the whole BSI, bloodborne pathogens thing in the back of my head. >>Totally exaggerating on the blood<<, but serious about the kids individual lotion tubes (with permission slips) to treat daily hand irritation. This all takes place in my first 45 minutes. It is exhausting.

I do DCK laundry two more times a day. Everything stuffed, dress up clothes and dolls during nap. Nap linens during afternoon snack. Laundry bags, bleach and a bathtub work for mouthed toys twice a day, rotated. Dishwasher and mesh bags for infant toys, never shared. Pretty easily managed with routine.

The rugs are a problem area I am working on. The hoover washer vac should arrive today (on sale under $90 on amazon this week). Fingers crossed. I have tossed three $200+ rugs already since summer. Potty training and mandatory high pile, taped edges (even when rubber backed), rugs are >> insert vulgarity<<<
Ariana 08:18 AM 01-12-2017
I know I am going to be the odd man out but stop cleaning and cut out sugar from your diet! I cut sugar out and none of us have been sick this year. Stomach flu and viruses have been going through my house from exposure to other kids and we have not gotten anything! I am usually sick every single Christmas and last year my daughter was sick for a week over Christmas with croup, this year nothing! I made a bunch if cookies etc using sugar replacements and gave them stevia sweetened pop and they were none the wiser.

My neighbours kids are sugar fiends and her kids are constantly sick. Her daughter has had a stomach flu virus for over a week 4x since September.

Anyway couldn't hurt. I was so sick of being sick too!
Baby Beluga 09:38 AM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I know I am going to be the odd man out but stop cleaning and cut out sugar from your diet! I cut sugar out and none of us have been sick this year. Stomach flu and viruses have been going through my house from exposure to other kids and we have not gotten anything! I am usually sick every single Christmas and last year my daughter was sick for a week over Christmas with croup, this year nothing! I made a bunch if cookies etc using sugar replacements and gave them stevia sweetened pop and they were none the wiser.

My neighbours kids are sugar fiends and her kids are constantly sick. Her daughter has had a stomach flu virus for over a week 4x since September.

Anyway couldn't hurt. I was so sick of being sick too!
Not odd man out at all! I especially second cutting out sugar.

I would also add a good probiotic and Vitamin C tab to yours and your children's diet. I have DD on the following regime:

*With breakfast she takes 1 garden of life organic kids probiotoc (available at sprouts).

*With lunch she takes 2 fiber gummies (digestive issues...and we all know if our digestive track is out of line our immune systems will be too) + 1 vitamin C and echinacea tablet.

*With dinner she takes 1 multivitamin.

I split them up because I believe this gives her body time to absorb them properly vs peeing the extra out if they were given all at once. I am not sure if that is scientifically proven or not - but she is sick about once, maybe twice a year.

If we do start to feel crummy we immediately start sambucol (a black elderberry supplement) which I believe has helped a TON.

I only am only taking a prenatal and DHA tab at this time.

I hope you feel better soon!
JackandJill 09:40 AM 01-12-2017
I would try an essential oil diffuser during daycare. I use DoTerra (I don't sell - just a happy customer!).. On Gaurd and Purify essential oil blends are going all week long and only on little one has had cold issues this season, everyone else is sniffle free
daycarediva 10:04 AM 01-12-2017
Has anyone else had the worst year ever for sickness? I swear I've had a cold, nose issues, coughing since October. No wonder because my daycare kids keep spreading it back and forth. I have 1 gone today and out of the 4 that I have, 2 are snotting everywhere. I keep cleaning and opening windows in rooms 1 at a time to get fresh air in but it continues. It's driving me nuts. I swear I want to close and just bleach everything and air it all out. Not to mention the kids I have are huge oral fixation kids, every single thing goes into their mouths and they're under 2, so it's hard to stop them. It seems like Lysol used to make a room fogger type of thing that would kill airborne viruses. What do you guys do and does anyone know about that product?
Yes. This year has been awful here, too. I am sanitizing like crazy, opening windows, serving lots of vitamin C, I have been sick since November.
lovemykidstoo 11:53 AM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
I would try an essential oil diffuser during daycare. I use DoTerra (I don't sell - just a happy customer!).. On Gaurd and Purify essential oil blends are going all week long and only on little one has had cold issues this season, everyone else is sniffle free
My girlfriend just called. She works for a hair/nail/massage salon here in town and she said that I need oils and a diffuser. lol. Funny that you both said the same. I am terrible, I don't even know what a diffuser is lol For my plugged up nose and my husbands cough what oils would you recommend?
lovemykidstoo 11:54 AM 01-12-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Yes. This year has been awful here, too. I am sanitizing like crazy, opening windows, serving lots of vitamin C, I have been sick since November.
Isn't it awful? Sick and tired of being sick and tired!
Tags:disinfect, disinfectant, disinfectants, regulations
Reply Up