Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions

Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions What books and stories do you like best. Reviews are welcome.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-30-2017, 10:54 PM
flying_babyb's Avatar
flying_babyb flying_babyb is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 540
Default I'm Sick Of Pete Suggestions..

suggestions for a rhyming book like pete or llama? I cant read them anymore. we read pete 4 or 5 times a day! Llama almost as often!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-30-2017, 10:59 PM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,607
Default

Do you have "Is Your Mama a Llama?"?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-30-2017, 11:33 PM
flying_babyb's Avatar
flying_babyb flying_babyb is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 540
Default

No, would that for 1-2 year olds? My kids have a decent attention span (they sit for Llamma Llama mad at momma, pete the cat and petes groovy buttons) at one time and beg for more
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2017, 02:34 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 8,391
Default

Brown Bear, Brown Bear has always been a fav for that age group! Polar Bear one too.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2017, 06:21 AM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_babyb View Post
No, would that for 1-2 year olds? My kids have a decent attention span (they sit for Llamma Llama mad at momma, pete the cat and petes groovy buttons) at one time and beg for more
It would be appropriate for 1-5-ish? My kids still love it at age 5. For the younger ones, Yawn is a good rhyming book ( https://www.amazon.com/Yawn-Sally-Symes/dp/0763657255).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 8,391
Default

We read Time For Bed by Mem Fox today. That's very sweet with beautiful pictures and rhymes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_babyb View Post
suggestions for a rhyming book like pete or llama? I cant read them anymore. we read pete 4 or 5 times a day! Llama almost as often!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_babyb View Post
No, would that for 1-2 year olds? My kids have a decent attention span (they sit for Llamma Llama mad at momma, pete the cat and petes groovy buttons) at one time and beg for more
While you may not want to read the same books over and over, there IS a developmental reason the kids want the same book over and over.

Reading a favorite book for the one hundredth time will actually help your child relate what he hears to the words and letters on the page. These are the beginning steps for many developmental milestones.

Children aren't equipped to "follow a story" like adults do. They have to piece together not only the environment (setting) but each character's role and place in the story.

They aren't yet able to follow too many sequences at one time and instead follow parts and pieces of the story EVERY TIME it's read and only AFTER the 1000'th time they've heard it do they begin to put the pieces together.

Instead of switching books I'd start changing up HOW you read the story. Ask the kids to "guess" what happens next. Skip a sentence or action and ask the kids what's different this time compared to the last time you read the book. After it's over, ask the questions such as what color Pete's groovy glasses were or what did Mama Llama say when baby Llama didn't want to got to bed..... etc...

Simply through exposure to print, older toddlers may begin to recognize very familiar signs, labels, and names. As you are reading let's say there is a stop sign in the story.... take a minute and point out the stop sign and say, “Look, it’s a stop sign. Cars have to stop. The sign says STOP!” Pretty soon, the children will recognize the sign and the word. Pointing out signs and other ways writing is used in the environment will help the kids begin to develop an understanding of the use of print and build a foundation for reading.

A story is SOOOOOO much more than the pictures on the page or even the story itself.

Last edited by Blackcat31; 05-01-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Mike's Avatar
Mike Mike is online now
starting daycare some day
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
While you may not want to read the same books over and over, there IS a developmental reason the kids want the same book over and over.

Reading a favorite book for the one hundredth time will actually help your child relate what he hears to the words and letters on the page. These are the beginning steps for many developmental milestones.

Children aren't equipped to "follow a story" like adults do. They have to piece together not only the environment (setting) but each character's role and place in the story.

They aren't yet able to follow too many sequences at one time and instead follow parts and pieces of the story EVERY TIME it's read and only AFTER the 1000'th time they've heard it do they begin to put the pieces together.

Instead of switching books I'd start changing up HOW you read the story. Ask the kids to "guess" what happens next. Skip a sentence or action and ask the kids what's different this time compared to the last time you read the book. After it's over, ask the questions such as what color Pete's groovy glasses were or what did Mama Llama say when baby Llama didn't want to got to bed..... etc...

Simply through exposure to print, older toddlers may begin to recognize very familiar signs, labels, and names. As you are reading let's say there is a stop sign in the story.... take a minute and point out the stop sign and say, “Look, it’s a stop sign. Cars have to stop. The sign says STOP!” Pretty soon, the children will recognize the sign and the word. Pointing out signs and other ways writing is used in the environment will help the kids begin to develop an understanding of the use of print and build a foundation for reading.

A story is SOOOOOO much more than the pictures on the page or even the story itself.

That's what I've done with tutoring little kids. I'd use a story they like and have them help me read it and ask them questions about it as we go. They love being a part of the reading.
__________________
Children are little angels, even when they are little devils.
They are also our future.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-01-2017, 11:08 PM
TheMisplacedMidwestMom's Avatar
TheMisplacedMidwestMom TheMisplacedMidwestMom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Alaska
Posts: 735
Default

You're just reading them wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFtHeo7oMSU
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-02-2017, 05:49 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 15,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom View Post
You're just reading them wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFtHeo7oMSU
That's awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-03-2017, 01:03 AM
flying_babyb's Avatar
flying_babyb flying_babyb is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 540
Default

totally aswome! I do the rap version of Mary had a little lamb often. I dont mind reading the same stories a million times but gosh I would LOVE to read something new (or get them hooked into a new book series). I dream of Llamma's chasing shoes and letters that are running up the coconut tree
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sick Constantly TwinMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 11-05-2015 05:41 PM
sick of watching sick kids momof3 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 04-30-2015 07:48 AM
WWYD- sick policy Brooksie Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 07-02-2013 06:26 AM
Child That Is Constantly Sick Lorna Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 03-01-2013 09:29 AM
Sick Child professionalmom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 06-21-2010 01:42 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:32 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming