Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare Insurance

Daycare Insurance Discuss your insurance and liability concerns here.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default MN Daycare Homeowners Insurnace

Hello,
I am looking into building a small duplex for daycare. This house would be used for exclusively daycare, nobody would be living in it.
I would be in one side of the duplex and another provider would be in the other side of the duplex. We have this OK'd by the licenser and state.
The question I have is where can I get homeowners insurance from. I currently have a licensed daycare in my home and I had to work hard to find someone that would insure me with 10 kids, now we can have up to 24 under one building.

Last edited by Blackcat31; 02-13-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNdouble View Post
Hello,
I am looking into building a small duplex for daycare. This house would be used for exclusively daycare, nobody would be living in it.
I would be in one side of the duplex and another provider would be in the other side of the duplex. We have this OK'd by the licenser and state.
The question I have is where can I get homeowners insurance from. I currently have a licensed daycare in my home and I had to work hard to find someone that would insure me with 10 kids, now we can have up to 24 under one building.
I am in MN and there is no family child care license class that allows 24 children for one program unless you are a center and licensed as such. This would require staff as well.

The most a family child care provider can have at any one time is 14 and that is with 2 caregivers.

Separate buildings and/or homes for family child care in MN is legal and acceptable. It's actually rather common.

What part of the state are you in?
I'm surprised you had such a hard time finding insurance as there are several companies that offer family and group family liability insurance in MN.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

Correct there is not a class that would allow one to have 24. What I am talking about is 2 seperate dwellings under one roof. 2 seperate licensed providers under one roof.
This is legal as I know of a couple different daycares that do this.
What I am really looking for is who everyone is getting insurance from because I am having a hard time finding homeowners insurance that is OK with daycare.
I am in the midwest MN area.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:14 AM
Daycare.com Member

I had to get a separate insurance policy for daycare in addition to my homeowners and would highly recommend doing the same even if you don't have to. In the event you ever have to make a daycare claim it would go against your daycare insurance and not homeowners which could significantly increase your deductible.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:16 AM
Daycare.com Member

Eta, Would a duplex which is considered two homes need two separate homeowners policies? I used to own a twin home and each side was considered its own property. They each have their own address.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:19 AM
Daycare.com Member

It will not be considered a twin home. One address.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Correct there is not a class that would allow one to have 24. What I am talking about is 2 seperate dwellings under one roof. 2 seperate licensed providers under one roof.
This is legal as I know of a couple different daycares that do this.
What I am really looking for is who everyone is getting insurance from because I am having a hard time finding homeowners insurance that is OK with daycare.
I am in the midwest MN area.
Oh okay makes much more sense....

We have a provider here in my community that owns a duplex. She rents out the other side of her duplex to another provider. They are licensed as separate programs/providers. Each has 10-12 kids. (now I "get" what you mean...lol!)

I would check out Assure for liability insurance.

I own a separate house for child care so I don't have traditional home owners but instead have a business/facility insurance and then have liability insurance through Assure.

Here is a link to them... http://www.assurechildcare.com/child...nce-quote.html
Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers View Post
Eta, Would a duplex which is considered two homes need two separate homeowners policies? I used to own a twin home and each side was considered its own property. They each have their own address.
The gals in my community have separate addresses like apartments... like 123 NW 2nd Ave side "A" and 123 NW 2nd Ave side "B".
Old 02-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Daycare.com Member

Do you mind sharing your business company with me?
Old 02-13-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Do you mind sharing your business company with me?
I just go through American Family Insurance.
My agent set it up for me years ago (I've been in business for over 2 decades...)

It covers the physical building and property.
It also covers contents.

My liability covers my DCK's/families...

I pay approximately $1600 for the AmFam policy and pay approximately $500+ for liability insurance.

Here are their quotes for costs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (132.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you very much!

Tags
insurance