Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Closing Daycare because of Medical Reasons

Hi!
I own a very small commercial daycare. I am often the only teacher because I cannot afford to hire more teachers. There have been occasions when I have had to have the children (5 of them) wait outside the bathroom door while I go to to the bathroom. I have also had to sneak away what three of them are asleep on their cot to run to the bathroom. I suffer from
Irritable bowl disease. I know that if state liscening pops in while I run to the bathroom I would be in serious trouble. My doctor wants me to do further testing to make sure that I am not suffering from Crohn’s disease. I do have a lease and the only way to break the lease is if I cannot maintain my day care licensing. I will have to be non compliant based upon shoes. Has anyone had to give a very short notice to their families that they would be closing their business? As of now I have nine families. Only three of my families are working families the other six Used to be more like a children’s day out type program. I would love your thoughts
Old 01-27-2018, 04:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
Hi!
I own a very small commercial daycare. I am often the only teacher because I cannot afford to hire more teachers. There have been occasions when I have had to have the children (5 of them) wait outside the bathroom door while I go to to the bathroom. I have also had to sneak away what three of them are asleep on their cot to run to the bathroom. I suffer from
Irritable bowl disease. I know that if state liscening pops in while I run to the bathroom I would be in serious trouble. My doctor wants me to do further testing to make sure that I am not suffering from Crohn’s disease. I do have a lease and the only way to break the lease is if I cannot maintain my day care licensing. I will have to be non compliant based upon shoes. Has anyone had to give a very short notice to their families that they would be closing their business? As of now I have nine families. Only three of my families are working families the other six Used to be more like a children’s day out type program. I would love your thoughts
Are you able to raise rates? I would and I would hire a part time person.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:15 AM
Daycare.com Member

Back in 2015 I had a heart attack.I closed after a week in the hospital.There was no way to know how long a recovery period would be.Every parent understood and found care quickly.I did not charge even though I had sick time to use.I felt bad but sometimes the universe makes decisions for us.Good luck.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

What state are you in? We could help you better if we could double check your state's safety rules--I'm wondering if you've really got it right about not being allowed to visit the restroom.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Two View Post
What state are you in? We could help you better if we could double check your state's safety rules--I'm wondering if you've really got it right about not being allowed to visit the restroom.
I wonder if it's because she's technically a center?
As an in home provider, it's understood we would have to use the bathroom. Even with that, my regs say I should minimize those times or get an assistant if necessary.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have IBS. On awful days, I have someone come fill in for me.

Keep a food diary, reduce stress, steroids help.

If you're such a SMALL operation, (only 9 families) what's your profit margin look like? Would it be more cost effective to do it from a home situation (group daycare, hire a FT assistant, or family child care and hire someone as drop in) ?

Tags
closing daycare, closing due to illness