Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Illness Policy

Do you have a section in your handbook that says that if anyone in the immediate family has the flu, strep, HF & M, or the stomach virus, the child in care can't come because those things are so contagious? If so, which illnesses are included here? I wasn't sure if those 4 were enough or too much. Should I also include "anything highly contagious"? What about lice or pink eye?

I need to re-do this tonight. I have an unexpected interview tomorrow. I wasn't planning on advertising an opening until April, so I thought I had another month!

Last edited by Sunchimes; 02-26-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: add diseases
Old 02-26-2018, 12:18 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchimes View Post
Do you have a section in your handbook that says that if anyone in the immediate family has the flu, strep, HF & M, or the stomach virus, the child in care can't come because those things are so contagious? If so, which illnesses are included here? I wasn't sure if those 4 were enough or too much. Should I also include "anything highly contagious"? What about lice or pink eye?

I need to re-do this tonight. I have an unexpected interview tomorrow. I wasn't planning on advertising an opening until April, so I thought I had another month!
I do have a policy on lice and nits - children must be lice and nit free before returning to care.

Bacterial pink eye: 24 hours on eye drops + discharge free
Viral pink eye: excluded until redness and discharge (if any) is gone.

I am one of the few providers who doesn't have a policy on excluding children if their family members are sick. Even with the flu. Unfortunately, we pass so much stuff around before we even know we are sick, I kind of found it pointless. Take me for example, I had the flu (had NO idea) and went everywhere. Worked, went to the grocery store, the aquarium. Who knows how many people I passed it to. If a family member is sick, I do not let them in the house though. They must pick up/drop off outside.

I do change clothing upon arrival if I know a family member is sick with something. It's just an extra layer of protection that makes me feel better.

ETA: I don't know what I would do if a family member had lice. I think I would probably exclude the child in my care as well.

Tags
illness