Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:53 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Crying to Vomiting

I've never really had this issue.
New girl, 2 no previous day care experience. Mom was SAH until they moved to this area, but mom really wants to get to work. PT, 2 days a week but possibly needing more moving forward.
Very difficult transition. Lots of tears, calling for mama on and off all day long. Last week she cried so hard she vomited, but as it was mostly mucusy I cleaned her up and kept her as I didn't want her to think if she cried hard enough = going home. Today she was crying and threw up again but this time it was clearly a bottle full of milk's worth. I called for pick up.
When she isn't crying, she is sweet and the kids enjoy her.
I am actually willing to work with her, but think we need to have a CTJ meeting? I won't be the only one working on the issue.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:44 PM

Ewww! lol!

I have no advice... I wouldn't be able to deal with that.

Here is another thread about it though...maybe there is some useful or helpful info in it.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ing+on+purpose
Old 02-27-2018, 12:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

Having a "body fluid fee" works for me ($20 each time). I would either term or implement a fee. Cleaning up body fluids would get real old for me real fast, but part of the reason for that is because my daycare is on my home's main floor. No way do I want remnants of other kids' puke etc all over my home.

If you are willing to keep her, then the mom is one lucky lady to have you.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:57 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have no advise. But my own kid (Just turned 2) has done this a hand full of times. Mostly when I say no. He chooses to have a melt down which has lead to vomit. As well when we try to give him liquid tyolnol or other medications.

If he was not mine I would call for pick up.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I had a two year old like this and she was my first home daycare child! I let her cry and vomit and told her when she was finished we could go upstairs for lunch. I asked her if she needed a hug. I completely ignored this tantrum. She never did it after that.

This is ninja level tantrumming and manipulation. No one should be crying until they vomit, it is not natural and most kids have some capacity to self regulate. She needs to learn that. Basically it is a learned reaponse from home. The fear of her vomitting keeps mom and dad giving her what she wants. So many parents say “but if I leave her to cry she will vomit”. The only way a child can self soothe is if they are allowed to express their full emotion, no matter how big, and calm down on their own to understand that not getting what you want is ok and they can calm down and live.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I had a two year old like this and she was my first home daycare child! I let her cry and vomit and told her when she was finished we could go upstairs for lunch. I asked her if she needed a hug. I completely ignored this tantrum. She never did it after that.

This is ninja level tantrumming and manipulation. No one should be crying until they vomit, it is not natural and most kids have some capacity to self regulate. She needs to learn that. Basically it is a learned reaponse from home. The fear of her vomitting keeps mom and dad giving her what she wants. So many parents say “but if I leave her to cry she will vomit”. The only way a child can self soothe is if they are allowed to express their full emotion, no matter how big, and calm down on their own to understand that not getting what you want is ok and they can calm down and live.

YES. Had the same issue with a 3yo, when he realized NO MATTER WHAT I would not be giving in, he stopped.

I would talk to the parents about self soothing behaviors, but I find 2 days a week a hard transition, and without any previous dc experience, OUCH. Maybe they would do a good few weeks of FT care to get her used to daycare and then go to a schedule they need?
Old 02-27-2018, 02:14 PM
Daycare.com Member

Cry spot during the tantrums? At least then if she does make herself throw up then it's in a designated area. Also, if it continued past the first two weeks or so, I would clean it up completely then hand the two year old a spray bottle of water and a rag and have them "clean up" the spot. Or have the child sit with you while you clean it up (no going to play until the mess is taken care of). Or both.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:28 AM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

Here is another thread for Crying then Puking: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74130

Tags
crying and puking, puking on purpose