Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Nap Time Screamers

I haven't had one in YEARS.

16 months. Screams no matter what.

alone. dark. quiet. music. white noise. holding her. rocking. blanket. lovey. patting. pack and play. mat.

Tried it ALL.

REST or NAP is mentioned---- loses her mind.

Sees a mat go down----- screaming. Screaming for 2+ hours straight.

DOES nap on/off throughout, obviously tired, naps at home well (according to parents).

Any advice?

The rest of the day is pretty typical 16-18mo stuff.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:24 PM
Daycare.com Member

I won't keep them. I can't. I know that type of tantrum screaming is a trigger for me
It would fall under "not a good fit"
Old 03-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Daycare.com Member

The star is on the calendar, I'm trying to see if there is any secret magic trick out there I can try before throwing in the towel.

It's not a trigger for me, I can tune her out, but the other kids...my assistant...nope.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:04 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Are you her second provider?

How long have you had her?
Old 03-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Unregistered

This sounds like a co sleeper to me.

I'd ask the parents how they do nap at home.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:32 PM
Daycare.com Senior Member

I would put in a pack n play in a different room by themselves and do the CIO, if it doesn't improve in a couple of weeks I'd terminate as well.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderhearts View Post
I would put in a pack n play in a different room by themselves and do the CIO, if it doesn't improve in a couple of weeks I'd terminate as well.
I have done this with kids who chatter or will cry (as a habit not for a reason) with good success.

And I leave the door "open" the slightest crack to "technically" be in licensing compliance.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
The star is on the calendar, I'm trying to see if there is any secret magic trick out there I can try before throwing in the towel.

It's not a trigger for me, I can tune her out, but the other kids...my assistant...nope.
Crying, if I know 100% that everything is fine, I can tune out. Screaming goes right through me and I can feel my blood pressure go up.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:35 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would also seperate from the group and sleep train. White noise to highest setting and put her down 1/2 an hour earlier than everyone else. This is what I do so that by the time the other kids are ready to go down she has already worn herself out a bit. Go in plop her on her stomach and say night night every 15 minutes.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

Unfortunately i don't think there is a magic remedy for this, though it would be nice.
Id put them with the others because i felt it helped with a sense of security and let them know, everyone does it and all my kids were excellent nappers so if one had trouble adjusting they could see the others doing what they were supposed to do. stayed very consistent with routine before and during and after nap to make it known it not an option and it happens every day. id go in every 10 mins or so and lay them back on their tummy and say goodnight, and cover them up and leave, and it usually resolved within no more than two weeks. And i wouldn't take it more than a month.

I did have to term an infant that was 10 months i think that would just scream and scream and its was that blood pressure raising scream, like she was just in pain or something all the time. not that i expected her to sleep during nap but providers can only take so much screaming day in and day out. i did that for about a month and a half before i gave them two week notice to be kind.

Tags
nap - crying, nap time crying, naptime - screamer