Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare Insurance

Daycare Insurance Discuss your insurance and liability concerns here.

Old 10-14-2018, 06:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Separating Home and Business

Is there a way to legally separate your home/property from your in-home daycare business? I worry that if I were to ever be sued, my home/vehicles/etc. could be taken.

I’m in NY state. I’m not required to file a DBA/LLC/etc. but if that helps then I would.

Thanks for any input!
Old 10-14-2018, 11:29 PM
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com

I’ve had close to a dozen LLC or S-corps. They are a level of protection from your personal assets. Consult you accountant or financial planner to find out which suits your needs. When you commingle personal with business espenses and liabilities, it can make things difficult if a client wants to bring a civil suit against you. The more distinct the separation, the better the protection. Here are some LLC threads that may be of help to you. https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=llc
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 AM
Daycare.com Media Member

The best thing you can do is get a commercial and professional liability policy. This will cover you in the event that you're sued by a client, which will help protect your assets.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:52 PM
ellisacoy

Default Gratitude

Thank you very much for this thread. It has been extremely useful.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:28 AM
Daycare.com Member

Look into something called The Homestead Act.You can file papers to protect your home.Also the liability policy.

Tags
llc, separating daycare from house