Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-23-2019, 07:49 PM
sahm1225's Avatar
sahm1225 sahm1225 is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest - where winter never ends!
Posts: 1,937
Default Was I Wrong?

Child sent home at 11am for diarrhea 3x in 30 minutes. According to parents was totally at home all weekend.
Today was hysterical crying on & off from 8am to 1pm when I called for pick up. Wouldnít eat and nothing I did consoled him. I was Ready to cry with him. NOT typical of this child. Normally eats nonstop and happy go lucky toddler.
Dcm is questioning why Iím excluding tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-23-2019, 08:20 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,341
Default

I would have sent him home, too, and I would also have excluded for at least 24 hours after his last bout. Poor kid! It sounds as though he was miserable!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-23-2019, 09:21 PM
sahm1225's Avatar
sahm1225 sahm1225 is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest - where winter never ends!
Posts: 1,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
I would have sent him home, too, and I would also have excluded for at least 24 hours after his last bout. Poor kid! It sounds as though he was miserable!
Oops missed a detail -.Sent home Friday for diarrhea.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-24-2019, 06:27 AM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,103
Default

I would have put down for nap.Then when he got up offered snack and reassessed .If he was still crying then I would have called parents and told no DC the next day needed to see Dr possibly.Could have been that he was coddled all weekend and upset about having to go to DC.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-24-2019, 06:31 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,268
Default

No not wrong at all and she sent him to you sick! Just reiterate why you are excluding him and ignore any drama from her.

Kids need to be here ready for the day not crying for no reason. I sent home once for unexplained crying. As soon as mom came to the door she stopped, it was so weird but whatever. First time in over a year that I sent this child home so something was clearly wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2019, 06:38 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,656
Default

I would have excluded for 48 hours, minimum.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2019, 09:00 AM
sahm1225's Avatar
sahm1225 sahm1225 is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Midwest - where winter never ends!
Posts: 1,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieteddy View Post
I would have put down for nap.Then when he got up offered snack and reassessed .If he was still crying then I would have called parents and told no DC the next day needed to see Dr possibly.Could have been that he was coddled all weekend and upset about having to go to DC.
I tried. I held him, rocked him, tried everything. His screaming reminded me of when my son was a baby and would get nasty ear infections. It was hysterical crying that couldnít be soothed. I even put him in a stroller to go on a walk. Heís not the only child here, which Iím sure makes a difference on the amount of care he needed. But it was the type of crying that makes you want to cry because youíre not able to soothe the child.

What gets me is that they insist heís fine at home.... every. Single.. time. At this point, Iím ready to say Ďthen obviously weíre not a good fití because I get a totally different child when heís sick here but he acts fine at home.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2019, 09:15 AM
CountryRoads's Avatar
CountryRoads CountryRoads is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US of A
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
I tried. I held him, rocked him, tried everything. His screaming reminded me of when my son was a baby and would get nasty ear infections. It was hysterical crying that couldnít be soothed. I even put him in a stroller to go on a walk. Heís not the only child here, which Iím sure makes a difference on the amount of care he needed. But it was the type of crying that makes you want to cry because youíre not able to soothe the child.

What gets me is that they insist heís fine at home.... every. Single.. time. At this point, Iím ready to say Ďthen obviously weíre not a good fití because I get a totally different child when heís sick here but he acts fine at home.
I have a dcm who also always says he's fine at home, but it always comes out later that he was NOT fine. I think she knew she was trying to send him to daycare sick, so she said that hoping I would just keep him.

Anyway, I would've sent home, too. It's clear he wasn't feeling good. And I can bet that he was NOT fine at home.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-24-2019, 09:23 AM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
I tried. I held him, rocked him, tried everything. His screaming reminded me of when my son was a baby and would get nasty ear infections. It was hysterical crying that couldnít be soothed. I even put him in a stroller to go on a walk. Heís not the only child here, which Iím sure makes a difference on the amount of care he needed. But it was the type of crying that makes you want to cry because youíre not able to soothe the child.

What gets me is that they insist heís fine at home.... every. Single.. time. At this point, Iím ready to say Ďthen obviously weíre not a good fití because I get a totally different child when heís sick here but he acts fine at home.
They always say that.
And it's never true.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-24-2019, 09:28 AM
springvalley112's Avatar
springvalley112 springvalley112 is online now
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Alabama
Posts: 335
Default

We exclude a minimum of 24/48 hours regardless of symptoms
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-24-2019, 12:46 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
Oops missed a detail -.Sent home Friday for diarrhea.
So just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly: He was sent home Friday for diarrhea and was fine all weekend according to dcm? Was inconsolable on Monday when he was back in day care so you sent him home again saying he couldn't return the following day and dcm is questioning that?

If the above is what happened, I'm not sure I would have excluded the next day if he had no other symptoms other than being super cranky. I probably would have told the dcm to bring him home, keep an eye on him and see how he was feeling the following day. I would have asked her to keep him home the next day if he was still miserable but as long as he didn't have any symptoms and seemed his normal self again, I probably would have allowed him to return to care. That's not to say that I think you were wrong for excluding; I just might have handled it a bit differently if it were me.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-24-2019, 12:53 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1225 View Post
I tried. I held him, rocked him, tried everything. His screaming reminded me of when my son was a baby and would get nasty ear infections. It was hysterical crying that couldnít be soothed. I even put him in a stroller to go on a walk. Heís not the only child here, which Iím sure makes a difference on the amount of care he needed. But it was the type of crying that makes you want to cry because youíre not able to soothe the child.

What gets me is that they insist heís fine at home.... every. Single.. time. At this point, Iím ready to say Ďthen obviously weíre not a good fití because I get a totally different child when heís sick here but he acts fine at home.
He might be totally fine at home because that is where he gets one on one attention and they can soothe him the way he wants. I always tell parents that kids are generally happier to be home when sick because here there is a lot of action and no one on one attention.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
24/48, 24/48 hours, 24/48 rule, exclusion policy, illness policy

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Years of Taxes Done Wrong??? Unregistered Daycare and Taxes 7 03-09-2018 01:48 PM
No, You're Wrong! Hunni Bee Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 02-22-2017 06:56 AM
Am I in the wrong here? cara041083 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 05-13-2014 07:12 AM
Oh Great! I Have Been Entering Info. Wrong! melilley Daycare and Taxes 12 01-27-2014 07:16 PM
Am I wrong? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 04-22-2009 11:10 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming