Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:23 AM
Unregistered

Question Confidentiality

How to address it with a parent questioning which child hit his kid? I can't and won't tell him who. The child he said did it isn't even a child we have! No kid with that name here! Probably shouldn't believe everything out of your kids mouth.

I told the parent the situation was handled and the other child sat in time out for hitting.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:45 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I'd be a smart__ and tell him juvenile records are sealed. Then again, my clients would expect that from me. We go over this during the enrollment interview.

What, DCD wants to have it out with a toddler? Come on, Dad. You are better than that. If there is a constant issue with his child being hit, he needs to take it up with the adult who is responsible to keep it from happening.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:20 PM
Daycare.com Member

"I'm sorry, but because of licensing I have to keep that information confidential."

And don't you love it when they blame a child who isn't there that day?
Old 04-22-2020, 04:04 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Your child’s info is confidential too

I do tell them that we have confidentiality rules, per licensing. I remind them that my discipline policy is in the handbook they signed, so they can be sure that the other child’s behavior is being addressed appropriately. Then I tell them “and I have honored the confidentiality about YOUR child’s behavior, too.” Gives some of them food for thought.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:17 PM
Unregistered

Parents who inquire about who the kid was annoy me. I couldnt even find out from my coworker directors who had my child in care or staff who hit-I didnt ask but they would say "as you know I cant tell you."

If their young child hit how would they feel if someone confronted them or did something to harass the child? Confidentiality is in place to protect from crazy people. Unless I know the parents well and are BFFs and dont care (now I know some disagree with that I just say I cannot tell them if their child does thats' up to the child but I also discourage it.

Many times I have had a situation with the same kid, the parent knew who the kid waa via their kid, and I still didnt share the name.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:11 AM
Daycare.com Member

Include the confidentiality policy in your parent handbook and point them back to that whenever it comes up.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:55 PM
Daycare.com Member

my issue is when im telling the parents what went down and then another child comes up and says "oh yea X hit him and broke his eye"(the children had been sitting on the rug. Child A had the frozen book, and he tried to take it. Rahter than using her words she hit him in the eye with the book, leaving a rather large red scratch (it was a board book).)
Old 04-24-2020, 09:21 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_babyb View Post
my issue is when im telling the parents what went down and then another child comes up and says "oh yea X hit him and broke his eye"(the children had been sitting on the rug. Child A had the frozen book, and he tried to take it. Rahter than using her words she hit him in the eye with the book, leaving a rather large red scratch (it was a board book).)
I used to dread that when I worked in centers. Many parking lot fights went down because parents act like kids.

That is why one of the first rules I made is that parents have no access to other people's kids, here. If it weren't for our Facebook page, one-way glass parent classroom window and playground viewing area, they wouldn't even know what kids were here.

Tags
classroom management, escalation, hitting in daycare, supervision