for DayCare Centers
Application for a Child Care Certificate
(1) Unless exempted by Oregon laws governing child care facilities, no person
or organization shall operate a child care center providing care to seven or
more children at any one time without a valid certificate issued by Child Care
(2) Application for a certificate shall be made on forms provided by CCD.
(3) A completed application is required:
(4) The applicant shall complete and submit an application to CCD at least:
- (a) For the initial certificate;
- (b) For the annual renewal of a certificate; and
- (c) Whenever there is a change of operator or location.
(5) An application for a certificate shall be accompanied by a filing fee (not
- (a) 45 days before the planned opening date of a new center; and
- (b) For renewal of a certificate, 30 days prior to the expiration of the
certificate. If an application for renewal and payment of the required fee
is received by CCD at least 30 days prior to the expiration date of the current
certificate, the current certificate, unless officially revoked, remains in
force until CCD has acted on the application for renewal and has given notice
of the action taken.
(6) A floor plan shall be submitted with the initial application and when a facility
is remodeled. The floor plan shall show dimensions of all rooms to be used (length
and width), the planned use of each room, the placement and number of toilets,
handwashing sinks, and diaper changing tables, and the location of the fixtures
and plumbing in the kitchen.
- (a) For the initial application, a change of owner/operator, or a change
of location (except when a facility is forced to move due to circumstances
beyond the control of the operator), the fee is $100 plus $2 for each certified
space (e.g., the fee for a child care center certified to care for 30 children
is $60 + $100 = $160).
- (b) For a renewal application, the fee is $2 for each certified space.
(7) If the facility is located within or attached to a building used for purposes
other than child care, the plan shall describe the other activities which are
carried out in adjoining rooms or buildings.
(8) If the applicant is a firm, association, corporation, public agency, or
governmental entity, the application shall be signed by the chief executive
officer or a person designated in writing to have the authority to sign for
the operator. If the applicant is a partnership, the application shall be signed
by each partner.
(9) An operator shall provide verification to CCD that the center meets all
state and local codes and zoning requirements that apply to child care facilities:
(10) The center shall be approved by a sanitarian registered under ORS Chapter
700, or an authorized representative of the Health Division, under requirements
contained in these rules (OAR 414-300-000 through 414-300-440), and by a state
or local fire marshal, before a certificate is issued by CCD.
- (a) Before the initial certificate is issued; and
- (b) Whenever the facility is remodeled.
(11) Upon receipt of a completed application, a representative of CCD shall evaluate
the center and all aspects of the proposed operation to determine if the center
meets certification requirements (OAR 414-300-000 through 414-300440).
- (a) If structural or permit problems occur, CCD may request that the operator
have the center inspected by the appropriate authority; and
- (b) The operator is responsible for payment of any applicable fees for
fire safety and sanitation inspections.