Licensing Standards for DayCare Centers
(1) Before imposing a civil penalty, the department shall provide written
notification by personal service, including by the licenser, or certified mail
which shall include:
(2) The length of time in which to comply shall depend on:
- (a) A description of the violation and citation of the applicable requirement
- (b) A statement of what is required to achieve compliance;
- (c) The date by which the department requires compliance;
- (d) The maximum allowable penalty if timely compliance is not achieved;
- (e) The means to contact any technical assistance services provided by
the department or others; and
- (f) Notice of when, where, and to whom a request to extend the time to
achieve compliance for good cause may be filed with the department.
(3) The department may impose a civil penalty based on but not limited to these
- (a) The seriousness of the violation;
- (b) The potential threat to the health, safety and welfare of children
in care; or
- (c) Previous opportunities to correct the deficiency.
(4) The department may impose a civil penalty in addition to or in conjunction
with other disciplinary actions against a child care license including probation,
suspension, or other action.
- (a) The child care center has previously been subject to an enforcement
action for the same or similar type of violation of the same statute or rule;
- (b) The child care center has previously been given notice of the same
or similar type of violation of the same statute or rule; or
- (c) The violation represents a potential threat to the health, safety,
and/or welfare of children in care.
(5) The civil fine shall be payable twenty-eight days after receipt of the
notice or later as specified by the department.
(6) The fine may be forgiven if the agency comes into compliance during the
(7) The center or person against whom the department assesses a civil fine
has a right to an adjudicative proceeding as governed by RCW 43.20A.215.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 74.15.030. 96-20-095, § 388-150-092, filed
10/1/96, effective 11/1/96.]