Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:27 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Diarrhea/Sending Home ?

What is your policy/rule about diarrhea? I had dcg 2.5 this a.m. and she had diarrhea. Not overly runny but very close. Then 10 minutes later again but runny. I had her picked up. Sometimes I feel bad doing that but I will usually let one time diarrhea stay, another they go home. She was not acting sick either. Would you guys have sent home?
Old 08-15-2019, 11:33 AM
New Daycare.com Member

My illness policy states “child will be sent home after 2 consecutive loose stools while at daycare” and then later in the policy it says “if your child is sent home from daycare...will not be allowed back into care for 48 hours”.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:58 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie928 View Post
What is your policy/rule about diarrhea? I had dcg 2.5 this a.m. and she had diarrhea. Not overly runny but very close. Then 10 minutes later again but runny. I had her picked up. Sometimes I feel bad doing that but I will usually let one time diarrhea stay, another they go home. She was not acting sick either. Would you guys have sent home?
Also good to note, there are a lot of things that can be spread with diarrhea so you do want to take it seriously to prevent the spread of infection. A kiddo doesn’t have to be acting sick to be infectious.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:30 PM
Daycare.com Member

ITA with 2 consecutive nasty diapers, or just 1 if it's not contained by a diaper or an older child doesn't make to the toilet.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:44 PM
Daycare.com Member

We send home after 3 but in my personal opinion we should send home after one because of the sanitizing and risk to the other children. Last week, there was a child that was out because they threw up but the sent the sister to school because she was fine but later on in the day she had diarrhea so we sent her home and they took them both to the doctor and the doctor said that it was too much fruit and juice but they don't drink that much juice at the daycare or eat that much fruit. Yesterday, the older sister had diarrhea and I told the teacher in the other classroom that we need to revisit our illness policy and make it to state that after one diarrhea that they are sent home until symptoms are gone
Old 08-15-2019, 01:47 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I send home if there are two in succession during a daycare day but I use my judgement. Sometimes you can just tell that it is not food related. They must be symptom free for 24 hours.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefriends View Post
Also good to note, there are a lot of things that can be spread with diarrhea so you do want to take it seriously to prevent the spread of infection. A kiddo doesn’t have to be acting sick to be infectious.
True! I did the right thing by sending home. Honestly, I am so tired of second guessing myself.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefriends View Post
This is so true! Guess I just need to hear it sometimes. If parents didn't act like you were killing them by picking up, maybe this all would be easier. I need a bigger backbone
Old 08-15-2019, 03:20 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
If parents didn't act like you were killing them by picking up, maybe this all would be easier. I need a bigger backbone
The more my own kids got sick and the more I got sick myself, the stronger my backbone became. It still has some room to grow but I've at least got to the point where I no longer worry about the parent's reactions when they're called for pick up. I use my judgement when a child has had a bout of diarrhea. They get sent home on the first bout if there are any other signs of illness, I know something is going around that includes diarrhea as a symptom or if it can't be contained in a diaper. By the second bout, if there's no obvious reason... like the parent mentions the kid ate a ton of blueberries for breakfast, I send home. If it can't be contained, I send home regardless of the reason!)
Old 08-15-2019, 05:47 PM
Unregistered

1st loose- call to parent
2nd loose- BYe bye and dont come back for 24 hours (unless theres something going around then its 48)
Old 08-15-2019, 06:32 PM
HHangoug

Unless you know for a FACT the child has some issue that isnt contagious and theyre not in any pain, you send home and follow 24 hour rule. 2 or 3 wet stools regardless of symptoms. You dont know if they will gain symptoms. Dont let parents talk you out of it.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1st loose- call to parent
2nd loose- BYe bye and dont come back for 24 hours (unless theres something going around then its 48)
I do this, too.

First one, warning text.
Second one, send home.

Then 48 hours without doctors note, 24 with. (if no other symptoms or continuation) Late arriving clients are notorious for hitting McD's enroute.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHangoug View Post
Unless you know for a FACT the child has some issue that isnt contagious and theyre not in any pain, you send home and follow 24 hour rule. 2 or 3 wet stools regardless of symptoms. You dont know if they will gain symptoms. Dont let parents talk you out of it.
Exclusion for diarrhea is more about sanitary issues than it is about contagiousness.

So many things can be spread via feces that ANY diarrhea is grounds for exclusion in my policies.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:21 PM

In my former center it was 3 diarrheas then they were sent home.

Once, I had a girl had a bad diarrhea, I changed her and all that, went to wash my hands (again) and I came and sat down to play and she had gone again. The director/owner happened to be walking by and she immediately called the parents.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:54 PM
Daycare.com Member

In our center its 3 and then send home until they are well (usually 24-48 hours after symptoms appear)
Old 08-29-2019, 08:45 AM
Daycare.com Member

One and done.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Daycare.com Member

Wish ours was like that but unfortunately it's a state rule
Old 08-29-2019, 10:02 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
This is so true! Guess I just need to hear it sometimes. If parents didn't act like you were killing them by picking up, maybe this all would be easier. I need a bigger backbone
YES! They act like you are lying about it or something. One time I had called a parent to pick up because her son had spiked a fever. When she picked him up, she stated that he looked fine to her. Then he puked in her car as soon as she strapped him in.

You made the right call! And if it's your policy, parents need to comply.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:37 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Alison View Post
YES! They act like you are lying about it or something. One time I had called a parent to pick up because her son had spiked a fever. When she picked him up, she stated that he looked fine to her. Then he puked in her car as soon as she strapped him in.

You made the right call! And if it's your policy, parents need to comply.
I had a mom who didn't believe me when I sent her son home for diarrhea. Next time, I saved every diaper and handed them to her when she picked him up, so that she could see them.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Exclusion for diarrhea is more about sanitary issues than it is about contagiousness.

So many things can be spread via feces that ANY diarrhea is grounds for exclusion in my policies.
Same here.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:58 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
I had a mom who didn't believe me when I sent her son home for diarrhea. Next time, I saved every diaper and handed them to her when she picked him up, so that she could see them.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
That is AWESOME!

Tags
diarrhea policy